Altes Rathaus over the river
Bamberg is in Upper Franconia, a region in Bavaria, Germany. The town is situated at 49° 53' 38" N and 10° 53' 8" E, and has slightly over 70,000 residents. For its historical architecture and preserved heritage, the whole town of Bamberg is listed on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Deutsche Bahn serves Bamberg with frequent and dependable train service. Frequent trains run to Wurzburg, Nuremberg, and Bayreuth, and there are even express trains to Munich and Berlin. See Deutsche Bahn's website for more information.
Walking is best throughout the Altstadt (old city center). The Hauptbahnhof (train station) is less than 2 km northeast of the Altstadt. Walk or take a bus.
- The Dom contains the intruiging Bamberg Rider sculpture. No one knows for sure who the young royal rider is.
- The Altes Rathaus is perched in the middle of a bridge above the Regnitz River and is a must-see.  .
- Sandkerwa (site in German) is held over the last weekend in August, Sandkerwa is a six day folk festival that consumes the entire town, with some 300,000 people attending. It is a festival with offerings of beer and food that rivals or even exceeds the likes of Oktoberfest and includes local traditions such as "fish jousting".
- Walk around and simply enjoy.
- Spezialkeller, Sternwartstraße 1, 96049 Bamberg (up the stairs near Concordia, turn left and left again), ☎ 0951/54887. The openair-(in summer time)-location to drink the mentioned Spezial-Beer (lightly smokey, not so tough for newbies and also prefered by my domestic drinkers over Schlenkerla) with typical local food having a real must-have panorama view over the city. Description in German: http://reisen.ciao.de/Spezial_Keller_Bamberg__Test_8269948
- Try Rauchbier (English: Smoked beer), unique to Bamberg. The two main brewers are Schlenkerla and Spezial, both of which have taverns where you can sample the beers.
- Backpackers Bamberg, Heiliggrabstraße 4, . (49.899601,10.895644)
Nearby towns and cities: