A surprising pagoda in Patterson Park
Southeast Baltimore, fittingly, covers the areas in the southeast of Baltimore, ranging from industrial wastelands to charming neighborhoods both quiet and hip.
Southeast Baltimore is not served by either the metro or light rail lines of the MTA. You'll have to walk, use the MTA buses, or drive.
Assuming you're walking through Southeast Baltimore from the Inner Harbor, Canton is about a thirty to forty minute walk, and Greektown will take at least an hour.
The MTA serves the Southeast Baltimore region from Inner Harbor and Downtown via routes #7, #10, #11 and #20.
If you are arriving to Baltimore by bus services such as Greyhound or the so-called Chinatown buses from Philadelphia and Washington D.C., they may drop off or pick up passengers at the Baltimore Travel Plaza, located near where O'Donnell St crosses the I-95. From there, MTA bus #20 will take visitors Downtown.
Car may be the most convenient way of getting to Southeast Baltimore if you have access to one. If you're traveling to Baltimore from elsewhere on the Atlantic coast by way of Interstate 95 (I-95), you will pass through Southeast Baltimore. The highway passes through Greektown and just outside the eastern edge of the Canton neighborhood.
By water taxi
For a unique and scenic way of getting there from the Inner Harbor, the water taxi  can drop you off at several locations along the Fell Point or Canton waterfronts.
- Duburns Arena, 1301 S Ellwood Ave, ☎ +1 443 573-2450, . Home to the Charm City Roller Girls.
- LatinoFest, Patterson Park (southeast corner of park, near S Linwood Ave and Eastern Ave), . A two-day festival celebrating Latino culture for one weekend in June of each year since 1980, with food, dancing and live music. It draws a multicultural crowd, so if you're not Latino you won't feel out of place, although a basic knowledge of Spanish would help with some of the vendors. $5 admission for adults, children under 12 free.
- Meet in the Street, O'Donnell Square, Canton (between S Potomac Ave and S Linwood Ave), . During the St. Patrick's Day weekend a local Irish pub sponsors a street festival in the aptly named O'Donnell Square in Canton.
- Toby's Dinner Theatre, 5625 O'Donnell Street (Just east of I-95, in the Best Western hotel), ☎ +1 410 649 1660, . A great musical theatre which has presented the musicals Beauty and the Beast, Footloose, Ragtime, It's A Wonderful Life, The Full Monty, Fiddler on the Roof, Grease, and is currently presenting Dreamgirls. It will present Holiday Hot Nostalgia, La Cage aux Folles, The Wizard of Oz, West Side Story, The Phantom of the Opera, A Christmas Carol, and Sophisticated Ladies in their 2008-2009 season.
- Creative Alliance at the Patterson, 3134 Eastern Ave (cross street S East Ave, three blocks east of Patterson Park), ☎ +1 410 276 1451, .
- The Charm City Kitty Club, . An LGBT-oriented performing arts group at the Creative Alliance.
- Greektown hosts a wealth of authentic Greek restaurants and coffeehouses.
- Yellow Dog Tavern, 700 S. Potomac Street, ☎ (410) 324-0280, . Laid back corner pub turned local watering hole, with excellent food to boot! You will be hard pressed to find any tourists here, and it does not cater to the more upbeat nightlife of Canton Square. However, if you are looking to have a nice dinner and drinks with the locals, this is an excellent choice.
- O'Donnell Square in Canton is home to some hip bars and restaurants.
- Patterson Perk, 2501 Eastern Ave. Coffee shop across from Patterson Park.
- Best Western Hotel & Conference Center, 5625 O'Donnell Street, ☎ +1 410 633-9500, . Southeast Baltimore's big convention hotel, roughly in the middle of nowhere as far as Baltimore goes, but right by I-95/I-895
- The Inn at 2920, 2920 Elliott St (about 1/2 hour walk, or 7-10 minute drive from the Harbor), . Although the price might be a bit steep for a bed and breakfast, it is definitely worth it. The place makes you feel pampered, the food is cooked by an excellent chef and the B&B is located in a cool, hip neighborhood (if somewhat yuppie-like), named Canton.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!