Balasore (also known as Baleswar or Baleshwar) is a city in Odisha (formerly Orissa) in Eastern India.
The town is located on the coast in the north-east corner of Odisha, it is full of mixed cultures, and is greatly influenced by Oriya, Bengali and Marwari cultures. it's also a industrial hub with some major industries and numerous small scale industries.
Balasore is connected by road and rail. it can be reached from Bhubaneswar and Kolkata both by the NH-5 road and by direct trains on the Howrah-Chennai main line. Buses from Bhubaneswar, Cuttack, Kolkata and Baripada are readily available. The nearest airport is in Bhubaneswar about 200 km away.
- Chandipur beach
- Khirachora Gopinath Temple
The town is famous for its tasty Rasgullas. Some of the better known sweet shops in the city are Mahi Rasagolla and Jagadathri Sweets. Mahi Rassagolla is famous for its rassagollas while Jagadhatri Sweets is known for Pantuas (a version of Gulab Jamun that is fried a little more deeply).
Be sure to also ask for Chhena Poda when you visit a sweet shop (literal translation: fried/burnt cheese in sugar). Chhena Poda is a little more expensive than a regular sweet dish and is generally sold by weight.
- Jagadhatri Sweets, Motiganj, Balasore.
- Hotel Maridian, Station square, balasore-Try bread idli and Hilsa pathudi(steam fish prepared in banana leaf), really delicious
- Hotel Hariplaza, 500 meter from ITI square-Tandoor item prepared delicately,Morover mutton/goat meat prepared in earthen pot and arwa rice, in oriya style taste divine.
- Nilgiri sweet-18 KM from Balasore, Nilgiri market. Try some rosogolla prepared from cow milk. really taste & export quality.
- Jaganath puri Vaji stall, Motiganj market, balasore- try breakfast- puri vaji, sugar syrup and vugni oriya style, food prepared in kansa basana.
- The Rainbow, near chidiapolo, tasty south indian dishes
- Panipuri/puchka/golguppa available from evening to 10 PM at ADM square, near public school
- Panthanivas, Balasore, Near Police Line (3-4km from Balasore Railway station). Rs 700-900.
- Hotel Aroma, Balasore, VS Marg (3-4km from Balasore Railway station). Located right inside the town. Negative: A canal runs near the hotel Rs 250.
- Hotel Nishi, Balasore, Motigang Market (4-5km from Balasore Railway station). Located in the Motiganj market of Balasore. Negative: A little dingy. Rs 300.
- Roop Park Village, Panchalingeswar (20 km out of town), ☎ +91 098302 330754. checkin: 8AM; checkout: * AM. Cottages Tent Dormitory Restaurant Village Ambience Tribal Dance etc. Rs 925 - 1800.
- Panchalingeswar - this Shaivite shrine famous for its elevating natural splendour amidst the lush Nilagiri Hills and fine lingams over which runs a continuously flowing stream.