Baddeck  is a pleasant little town on the shores of Bras d'Or Lake in Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. It's a popular spot for boating in the summer and its central location makes it convenient as a base for exploring the island.
Baddeck is on the Trans-Canada Highway (Hwy 105) about halfway between the causeway to the mainland and Sydney. It is about a five hour drive from Halifax.
Pretty much everything is located on either Shore Road or Chebucto Street. The town stretches out along these two streets, but if you don't mind walking, everything can be reached on foot.
- Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site of Canada, Chebucto Street (Route 205), Baddeck, . Open 9AM-6PM (Jun 1-30), 8:30AM-6PM (1 Jul-15 Oct). Entrance $6.50.
- Baddeck Lobster Suppers, Ross Street, ☎ 902 295-3307. Lunch: 11:30AM - 1:30PM; Dinner: 4PM - 9PM. Not fancy but hearty amounts of food. Dinner mains come with seafood chowder, mussels, salad, rolls and dessert. $30 for the lobster dinner, $19-$25 for other mains.
- High Wheeler Cafe, Chebucto Street, ☎ 902 295-3006. 7AM - 6PM. Little cafe that serves hearty sandwiches and pastries including some sugar-free options. Good spot to buy a sandwich in the morning to take with you on the day's travels. $5-10.
- McCurdy's Dining Room, 257 Shore Road (at Silver Dart Lodge). Serves a mix of pasta, seafood and meat dishes with a view of Bras d'Or Lake. $13-30 for mains.
- Yellow Cello Cafe, 525 Chebucto Street (at the Green Highlander Lodge). Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Cafe with soup, salad, vegetarian and Italian dishes. Nightly entertainment during the summer months.
- Broadwater Inn, Bay Road (Hwy 205) (about one mile east of Baddeck), ☎ +1 902 295-1101, . checkin: 3:00 PM; checkout: 10:00 AM. An inn and cottages overlooking Bras d'Or Lake. Rooms $90-$135, with the suite and cottages a bit more.
- The Dunlop Inn, 552 Chebucto Street, ☎ 1-888-263-9840 (toll-free) or +1 902 295-1100 (email@example.com), . checkin: 2PM - 9PM; checkout: 11AM. Small B&B style inn on Baddeck's waterfront. $99-$160, open May - Oct.
- Green Highlander Lodge, 525 Chebucto Street, ☎ 1-866-470-5333 (toll-free) or +1 902 295-2303 (fax: +1 902 295-1592), . A 3 room B&B/inn that can arrange guided fishing trips in the area.
- Inverary Resort, 368 Shore Road, ☎ 1-800-565-5660 (toll-free) or +1 902 295-3500 (fax: +1 902 295-3527). Hotel rooms and cottages on Bras d'Or Lake. $140-$400 in high season. Cheaper rates available in the off-season.
- Lynwood Inn, 441 Shore Road, ☎ 1-877-666-1995 (toll-free) or +1 902 295-1995 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Reviewers indicate rooms in the newer building are spacious and comfortable. Some rooms have balconies with views of the lake. $100-140.
- Silver Dart Lodge, 257 Shore Road, ☎ +1 902 295-2340 (email@example.com), . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 11AM. Mix of rooms in the lodge, chalets and suites set on a hill overlooking the lake. $90-$165 for lodge rooms and chalets, suites cost more.
- Telegraph House, 479 Chebucto Street, ☎ 1-888-263-9840 (toll-free) or +1 902 295-1100 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +1 902 295-1136), . An old Victorian house with some charm where Alexander Graham Bell once stayed. Reviewers indicate the rooms are clean and well appointed but sometimes a bit small. $70-$120 for rooms. $150-$200 for the two bedroom cottage and McRae House.
- Baddeck is a convenient starting and finishing point for a trip around the Cabot Trail, considered to be one of the most scenic drives in Canada. The road is a 300 km loop along the coast and through the Cape Breton Highlands and offers many hiking, camping and scenic turn-off opportunities.
- The reconstructed Fortress of Louisbourg , about two hours drive away, is a National Historic Site and offers a glimpse at what life was like in the mid-1700s.