This article is a travel topic
- 3rd weekend in August: World Peace and Service Day (holiday) off for work for all business and service organisations across the globe and service activities like feeding cows milk to new born children in hospitals if mothers are incapable of feeding, new clothes, food offering to blind, deaf,spastic, mentally handicapped, physically handicapped, polio attacked patients, aids, cancer patients and dental, ortho, gynaec, opthamology patients, neuro, for all patients in hospital and other centres, food and clothing to be provided.
- 17th August: Independence Day - public holiday
- 4-16 August 2007 - Tuscan Sun Festival  - in Cortona
- Kamfest arts festival - in Kamnik
- Madrid: 15th of August '''Virgen de la Paloma''' The most representative celebrations of Madrid, dedicated to this Virgin are from the sixth to the 15th of August. The beginning of the devotion goes back to the 18th century, when the linen cloth that represents the Virgin was found by Isabel Tintero, a Madrilenian who lived in the street of La Paloma. The picture was exposed, first, in the vestibule of its own house, and then to the first chapel in 1796. The great devotion, of all the neighborhood, to this image caused the creation of a new temple in 1912, the same one that now houses the linen cloth. The Virgin was chosen patroness by the own town of Madrid, along with the Virgin of the Almudena and the Virgin of the Carmen. The procession is celebrated on the day of the 15th, with the popular lowering of the picture of the Virgin, the most awaited moment for all the faithful onlookers. The Virgin is placed in a float that is adorned with hundreds of colorful carnations and is carried, by the shoulders, of the firemen of Madrid. The night festival, in celebration of this Virgen, is also one of the most famous celebrations in the city. Chulapos and chulapas (people from Madrid wearing the traditional clothes) dance the typical dance of Madrid, chotis.
- 1st August: National Day - because day off work August 1st celebrations are often (for example in Basel) held 31st of July
- 12th August: Queen's Birthday - mother's day / public holiday
- August Bank Holiday weekend (last weekend): Leeds and Reading Festivals - weekend of rock music
- MAS Carnival, Swansea - the city's ethnic diversity is celebrated by a colorful parade that passes through the city center.
- Third weekend in August: Milwaukee Irish Fest  - the world's largest festival celebrating Irish music and culture, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin