Auburn is a small city in Placer County on Interstate 80. Nearby the confluence of the North and East Forks of the American River are a good place to swim and drink beer. There is a picturesque old town neighborhood near the statue of a miner just off the freeway. Under the miner, there are large drainage tunnels filled with graffiti that one can explore with a flashlight.
The nearest commercial airport is in Sacramento, approximately thirty miles away. Auburn does have a private airport as well.
Auburn is known to be the "Endurance Capital of the World", as many races either start or end here. Notably, the Western States Endurance Run ends at Placer High School in Auburn.
There are hundreds of miles of trails (including the Western States Trail) that lead to or from here.
- Second Chance Thrift, 13488 Luther Rd, ☎ 530-885-8297. 10-5. Open Wednesday - Saturday 10:00-5:00, Sunday 10:30 - 3:00. Offering High quality Furniture, Jewelry, Clothing, Collectables, and New gift Items.
- Le Bilig, 11750 Atwood Rd, (530) 888-1491. Dinner W-Su. French cuisine.
- Latitudes (Pat & Pete’s World Kitchen), 130 Maple St., auburn,ca (From Sacramento: Take I-80 east to the Maple Street Exit; we are the second building on the left, just across from the Placer County Courthouse.), ☎ 530-885-9535, . wed-sun. Arguably the best food in auburn and surrounding areas. Fantastic quality food. Great regular dinners. Every month's special menu is a different "latitude', for example October's special is Germany and features a varied selction of German inspired meals. $$.
- Best Western Golden Key, 13450 Lincoln Way, ☎ +1 530 885-8611 (toll free: +1 800 201-0121, fax: +1 530 888-0319), .
- Holiday Inn, 120 Grass Valley Highway, ☎ +1 530 887-8787, .
- Motel 6, 1819 Auburn Ravine Road, ☎ +1 530 888-7829 (fax: +1 530 888-6200), .