3344 Peachtree and the Mansion
Buckhead is the district in the northern section of Atlanta most famous for its nightlife, despite the recent closure of numerous nightclubs. In the area formerly known as Buckhead Village, massive construction projects are transferring the area into The Streets of Buckhead, an upscale shopping area similar to Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. The Streets of Buckhead is scheduled for a grand opening in 2009. Buckhead already has plenty of shopping options with Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza nearby.
Although Buckhead is wthin the city limits of Atlanta, it has characteristics of its own city. Buckhead even has its own skyline of high-rise apartments/condominiums and office buildings. In 2008, two new skyscrapers have been completed to reach new heights: 3344 Peachtree and the Mansion on Peachtree.
Georgia State Highway 400 runs directly through Buckhead.
MARTA has two main bus lines which run along Peachtree Street, #23 and #110. However there are plenty of other routes that serve the area.
Buckhead can also be accessed by the MARTA rail's North-South Line at the Buckhead Station (N7), the Northeast-South Line at Lenox (NE7), and Lindbergh Center Station (N6) by either of the fore-mentioned lines. Amtrak's Crescent Line stops at the Atlanta Peachtree Station.
- Sovereign, also known as 3344 Peachtree, a mixed used development. Completed in 2008, this 50 story structure of post-modern architecture is currently the tallest building in the Buckhead Skyline.
- The Mansion on Peachtree, another new skyscraper that is both a hotel and a residence, and has a spa.
- Atlanta History Center , This attraction features 32 acres of gardens, wildlife trails and woodland areas. The complex includes the 1840s Tullie Smith Farm, a fully restored 1928 Swan House mansion and Swan Coach House Restaurant. The Atlanta History Center's Buckhead campus expanded by 27,000 square feet including a 20,000 square-foot wing dedicated to memorializing the 1996 Centennial Olympic Games. It also has the largest private collection of Civil War memorabilia in the nation.
- Governor's Mansion, house where the current governor and previous governors reside. Tours available.
- Sweetwater Brewery , brews Georgia's finest beers locally.
- Streets of Buckhead , a new urban shopping area opening soon (Originally scheduled to open in 2009, but delayed due to the recession. Keep checking for updates).
- Swan Coach House , a historical house that is a restaurant, gift shop, and art gallery.
- Andrews Upstairs. Attend a concert venue.
- Grand Hyatt Atlanta in Buckhead. Walk through the Japanese garden, get a massage at the spa, relax in the whirlpool, eat dinner at Chassis, then have a drink at the Onyx Lounge.
- Kuhlman, 3500 Peachtree Rd Ste 1106, . Trendy European-styled and affordably priced men's and women's shirts and suits suitable for work or play.
- Lenox Square Mall, . Across from Phipps Plaza and anchored by Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdale's, and Macy's, this mall is an extremely popular mall for chain-store shopping in Atlanta, and encompasses a range of price-points. Stores include upscale Hermes, Burberry, Louis Vuitton, Cartier, and David Yurman, mid-high range stores like Kate Spade, Coach, and Polo, mid-range stores like Banana Republic, Kenneth Cole, J. Crew, Abercrombie, Aldo, and Urban Outfitters, and a few mid-low range stores like the Gap. Also has a large Apple store for electronics junkies. Outside of and next to the mall is a strip of stores which includes a number of boutiques like Blue Gene's , which carries a huge selection of designer jeans, as well as trendy apparel and accessories.
- Phipps Plaza Mall, . Anchored by Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstrom and Belk, this upscale mall has higher-end chain stores such as Barney's Co-op, Intermix, Versace, Armani, Gucci, Jimmy Choo and Tiffany's, including the only Jeffrey store outside of New York, as well as an AMC movie theater.
- Anis Cafe and Bistro, 2974 Grandview Ave, . Extremely romantic and charming authentically French bistro-cafe tucked away in an old house near Pharr Road.
- Buckhead Diner, . Popular faux-diner with black tie waiters serving up heaping portions of greasy upscale "diner" food.
- Eclipse di Luna, 764 Miami Circle, . Vibrant and extremely fun tapas restaurant and bar hidden away in the antique district of Buckhead serving up pitchers of Sangria and Mojitos with its tasty small plates. Has live music on weekends.
- Hong Kong Harbour, 2184 Cheshire Bridge Rd NE. Popular Chinese restaurant with a friendly family atmosphere and authentic food.
- Seasons 52, . Health-conscious gourmet restaurant and wine bar where each entree is under 475 calories.
- Au Pied de Cochon, 3315 Peachtree Rd, . Outrageously-decorated Atlanta location of a France-based restaurant where patrons can order the restaurant's namesake, pig's foot. Located in Inter-Continental Buckhead.
- Bone's, 3130 Piedmont Ave, . A traditional steakhouse in every sense, this Atlanta power-dining institution has been around since 1979. Ranked as one of the high-rated steak houses across the board, Bone's was the highest-rated steakhouse in the nation by Zagat in 2006.
- Dante's Down the Hatch, 3380 Peachtree Rd, NE, ☎ +1 404 266-1600, . M-Su 4PM daily. A fondue spot with a nautical theme, live crocodiles and jazz performances six nights a week.
- Fogo De Chao, . A Brazilian churrascaria for those looking for a less-unique but still meat-filled dining experience. Gauchos carrying spools of meat cut slices at the table.
- Justin's, 2200 Peachtree Rd. Caribbean-Southern restaurant and bar pioneered by P. Diddy is a favorite of local celebrities.
- R. Thomas Deluxe Grille, 1812 Peachtree St NW, ☎ +1 404 872-2942, . With its trademark windmills, bells, birds, lush plants, and Peachtree St. location, it is hard to miss this fixture of the Atlanta dining scene. This is probably the only restaurant in town where a vegan and a burger lover can eat together and both be happy. Favorites - the grilled-not-fried wings, the french toast, and all the smoothies.
- Taka Sushi Cafe, 385 Pharr Rd NE. Locals swear by the premium sushi and service offered by this this little sushi restaurant tucked away from the main drag of Buckhead amidst upscale salons. A hidden find that its patrons hope won't be discovered.
- Restaurant Eugene, 2277 Peachtree Rd (at the Aramore condos), ☎ +1 404 355-0321, . M-Th 5:30PM-10PM, F-Sa 5:30PM-11PM, Su 5:30PM-10PM. Chef Linton Hopkins and his wife Gina run this small, family-style restaurant that features a menu sprinkled with staple Southern ingredients. The restaurant has been ranked among Atlanta’s Top 10 by Atlanta Magazine, Atlantacuisine.com and Atlanta Business Chronicle. $22-$32.
- Craft, 3376 Peachtree (inside The Mansion on Peachtree), ☎ +1 404 995-7580 (email@example.com), . New York celebrity chef Tom Colicchio (most famous for his role as head judge on Bravo’s Top Chef) chose Atlanta as the third location for his award-winning restaurant Craft. The menu consists of bold, a la carte American classics that use only the finest ingredients Georgia has to offer. $28-$48.
- The Dining Room at the Ritz-Carlton, . Nationally-recognized French restaurant run by Chef Arnaud Berthelier that offers both a la carte and prix fixe options is one of the best known in Atlanta and has received the Mobil Five Star award.
- Home, 111 West Paces Ferry Rd, ☎ +1 404 869-0777 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +1 404 869-0777), . Top Chef finalist Richard Blais combined traditional Southern flavors with contemporary techniques to create dishes like buttermilk pancakes with foie gras. He then departed and started "Flip Burger Botique." $31-$50.
NOTE: Parts of the bar scene on Peachtree Street (formerly Buckhead Village) have recently been torn down for redevelopment (the future Streets of Buckhead), so be careful as your destination may end up being a pile of dirt. Call ahead to make sure that the bar still exists. Majority of the existing bars/clubs in Buckhead are located near Peachtree and Piedmont, Andrews Drive, or Lindbergh Center.
- Beluga Martini Bar , Voted as the city’s best martini bar by Atlanta Magazine, Beluga Martini Bar invites classy clientele to enjoy the days of the Rat Pack with its baby grand piano and live jazz most nights of the week.
- Blackbear Tavern , a friendly, casual bar in South Buckhead that has a full menu, wine tastings, live music, trivia nights and plays host to various dart leagues.
- Churchill Arms Pub , a British-style neighborhood pub that attracts both the after-work crowd and the nighttime party crowd and features pool tables and dart boards.
- East Andrews Neighborhood Bar , has a semi-sports bar, semi-casual café appeal with great blue plate specials.
- Fado Irish Pub. Some of the best Irish fare in town with eclectic Irish memorabilia on the walls.
- Five Paces Inn , opened in 1955 and attracts those from the local business crowd to unwind.
- Hole in the Wall, . Former teeny-boppers and current college greeks down drafts and Jägerbombs at this wild party bar.
- The Mansion Bar, located at the Mansion on Peachtree, a cozy and relaxing atmosphere.
- Moondogs, located next to Hole in the Wall and has a similar atmosphere.
- MF Room , same owners as the MF Sushibar in Midtown, created a private lounge available by reservations.
- Peachtree Tavern , also located next to Hole in the Wall and Moondogs. Live rock bands.
- Pool Hall is one of Buckhead's best and oldest bars known to many as the best dive in town.
- Sambuca Restaurant, . Jazz, Blues, and other great live musicians. They also offer a upscale bar scene and a great menu featuring pastas, seafood and salads.
- Sanctuary , a Latin music dance club with plush couches great for people-watching and dance instruction included with cover on Friday nights and the first and third Sundays of very month.
- Tavern 99 , on East Andrews, laid-back sports bar and restaurant with live music and two-level patio.
- Tavern at Phipps , has great martinis and outdoor music set in a casual atmosphere.
- Treehouse Pub , known for its tropical feel, Miami style and great people-watching on its patio.
- Via , restaurant and cocktail bar with a post-modern vibe.
- Wet Willies, popular bar in Miami Beach and known for frozen drinks now has a location at Lindbergh Center.
- Whiskey Blue, located at the top of the W Buckhead.
- Gold Room , upscale multi-level club in Lindbergh Center.
- Havana Club , popular Latin/Salsa club in its new location on Piedmont.
- Mood Lounge , Chic lounge with a sexy vibe.
- Tongue and Groove , a popular name for Atlanta nightlife, is now located in Lindbergh Center.
- Holiday Inn Express Buckhead, . A surprisingly nice location for a budget hotel and tucked away from the main traffic, this Buckhead hotel is within easy driving distance of all intown attractions.
- Embassy Suites Atlanta Buckhead, 3285 Peachtree Road NE, ☎ +1 404-261-7733, . Recently renovated all-suite atrium hotel 2 blocks from shopping and entertainment. Heated indoor pool and seasonal outdoor pool. Includes free breakfast and reception.
- Grand Hyatt Atlanta in Buckhead, 3300 Peachtree Rd., . Grand Hyatt Atlanta is a sophisticated retreat with the largest guest rooms in Buckhead. Hotel provides complimentary transportation to Atlanta's major attractions.
- Inter-Continental Buckhead, 3315 Peachtree Rd. NE, . Classy hotel catering to the business set within walking distance of shopping malls and power-dining.
- Ritz-Carlton Buckhead, . This Buckhead destination also houses one of the most highly-regarded restaurants in the city.
In the early 2000s, Buckhead was experiencing a rising crime rate, with even a few homicides. However, the crime rate started dropping when the bars and clubs started closing an hour earlier, and surveillance cameras were installed and more police officers started patrolling the area. More recently, the property which was once a popular gathering spot for party goers, has been purchased to be transformed into an upscale shopping neighborhood. This is an effort to keep the potential trouble makers away, as local residents have been complaining about noise, crime, and generally rowdy behavior linked to partying and excessive alcohol.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!