| || |
| || |
Revision as of 08:06, 23 October 2013
Ashford is a town in Kent, in the South East of England.
It is thought that Ashford originates from an original settlement established around 893AD, which became large enough to have a mention in the doomsday book, listed with a church and two mills under the name "Essetesford" in 1086. Ashford officially became a market town in 1243 and by 1600 had risen to become an important market town, primarily for livestock.
Ashford is in the center of Kent, and was one of the first towns in Kent that drastically changed into a highly developed town with modern standards. Ashford International was opened on 28 February 1996 and first operated trains from France terminating at Waterloo, London. Now trains terminate at St Pancras International in London.
The main roads into Ashford are the M20, which runs from the M25 via Maidstone and on to Folkestone, and the A2070, which connects Ashford with Hastings in the south and the A28 to Canterbury in the north.
Eurostar  high-speed trains running from Paris (Gare du Nord), Lille (Europe), Calais (Fréthun) and Brussels (Zuid-Midi) stop at Ashford International station . Passengers travelling by Eurostar to the UK from Paris (Gare du Nord), Lille (Europe), Calais (Fréthun) and Brussels (Zuid-Midi) stations undergo UK passport/identity card checks in France/Belgium before boarding, rather than on arrival in the UK. The UK passport checks take place after the French/Belgian passport/identity card exit checks in the stations. However, UK customs checks take place on arrival in the UK.
Passengers travelling to France/Belgium from Ashford International go through French passport/identity card checks in the station before boarding the train, whilst selective customs checks take place on arrival in France/Belgium following disembarkation.
Ashford International is also served by domestic trains from several major London stations (see below). Ashford International station was re-opened on 28 February 1996 and first operated international trains departing from Waterloo, London. The station was the first stop in England on the Channel Tunnel rail link, allowing trains to link from the UK directly to France and Belgium via the Channel Tunnel.
In 2007 a new high-speed rail line was installed at Ashford International called High Speed 1. All International trains now depart from St Pancras International railway station in London, which was reopened in 2007 to replace all services previously operating from Waterloo, London. In 2009 Ashford International train station further improved its domestic train services with the launch of Britain's first high-speed domestic trains to St Pancras International, London and Ebbsfleet International, Kent.
In 2007 St Pancras International reopened and replaced all services previously operating from Waterloo, London. Trains operate each hour direct from St Pancras International via Ebbsfleet International and Ashford International stations, operating frequent train services to Brussels, Calais, Paris, Disneyland Paris, Moutiers, Avignon, Lille and Bourg St Maurice.
Domestic trains are operated by SouthEastern Railway  and Southern Railway to London St Pancras to Ebbsfleet (typical journey time 35 - 37 minutes), London Cannon Street, London Charing Cross, London Victoria and coast bound Dover Priory, Canterbury West, Ramsgate, Margate. By 2010 trains from Ashford International  and Stratford International  will run to Ebbsfleet International  railway station. As of 2009 the new high-speed trains on the St Pancras International  - Ashford route will have a full timetable.
Ashford International also has train links to London, Canterbury, Tonbridge, Dover, Folkestone and Hastings.
Ashford International has onsite car parking for over 1000 vehicles. Fare and timetable information is available from South East Trains , tel. +44 845 748 4950.
Ashford is soon set to have its own airport 'London Ashford Airport' situated in Lydd, which is set to open in 2009 and is said to handle over 2 million passengers a year. For the time being, the closest major international airport is London Gatwick, approxiamately a 45 to 50 minute drive away up the M20, M23 and M26.
Most services are actually run by Stagecoach and timetables can be found on their website. http://www.stagecoachbus.com/eastkent/
A hire car is a good investment to explore the surrounding country. For example Canterbury is only a few pleasant miles away and the "Park and Ride "bus service to the center of Canterbury is tremendous and saves many hassles parking.
- AFM Private Hire tel. +44 1233 333500
- Arrow Taxis tel. +44 1233 666666
- Blue Line Taxis tel. +44 1233 666123
- United Taxis tel. +44 1233 666999
- Xpress Cars tel. +44 1233 666699
By Mini Coaches & Minibuses
Ashford Mini Coaches
Kent Minibus Hire - Nova Travel
Minibus & Coach Hire in Ashford
Ashford is a hotspot in the southeast for shopping, having over 200 stores across the town. Over 100 in the main town centre, and 100 in the modern designer outlet.
Ashford is well served by many different restaurants. A short walk around the town centre will find most varieties of cuisine.
- Hoodeners Horse, The Street Great Chart +44 1233 625583 Mexican English, cosy pub eaterie fresh food cooked to order and a range of real ales.
- Pizza Express, 14 North Street, +44 1233 637700. Typical Italian, Pizzas, Pasta dishes and salads. Pizzas upto £8.25 Menu
- The Royal Spice, Ashford Rd, Bethersden. +44 1233 820280. Good Indian food served in a very modern environment, in a converted public house on the A28, towards Tenterden. The Royal Spice restaurant. The Royal Spice is closed until 14th October 2008 because of a fire.
- Trattoria Romana Restaurant, 32 Bank St. +44 1233 638033. Italian food in a friendly atmosphere.
- Yeung's, 6-10 North Street, +44 1233 613813. Open seven days, 12noon - 3.00pm and 6.00pm - 11.00pm. Oriental Buffet restaurant with over 40 freshly prepared dishes to choose from, eat as much as you like. £5.80-£10.80 per person.
- Zarin, 31 Bank Street, +44 1233 620 511. Opening Hours: Open 7 days a week (including Bank Holidays). Lunch: Mon - Sat 12noon - 2:30pm, Dinner: Mon - Thurs 6pm - 11:30pm, Fri & Sat 6pm - 12 midnight, Sunday: 12noon - 11pm. Smart, modern Indian restaurant. Zarin restaurant
Further out of town, pubs offer good food at reasonable prices. Wye also has some good restaurants.
- The New Inn, Canterbury Road, Etchinghill, (jnc 11, M20), +44 1303 862026. A 16th century coaching inn, village pub and highly popular restaurant. Fantastic reputation for fine cuisine, open seven days a week for lunches and evening meals. Terrific food, real ale, oak beams & cosy atmosphere. The New Inn website
- The Swan, A20 Charing (Maidstone side) (From roundabout in Charing, take Maidstone turn. On left after 100m), ☎ 01233 712357, . 3 restaurants in one. Thai, steak bar and sushi bar - all are highly recommended and reasonably priced. Well decorated in an unusual style. Booking is advisable at the weekend.
- Riverside Inn, Torrington Road (Opposite the Designer Outlet. Off Asda roundabout then right into Beaver Road and then 2nd right again into Torrington Road), ☎ 01233 633404. Just a five minute walk from the International Station this country feel family pub has a high reputation for homecooked food with daily specials as well as an extensive menu. Two beer gardens. Open 7 days a week Food served from 12-9pm Monday to Saturday and 2-6pm Sundays.Tuesday Steak Night and Wednesday Mexican Night. Find us its worth it.
- The Queens Head, Ashford Road, Ashford, TN23 3ED (295 bus from Ashford International Station or on the A2070 Ashford Road), ☎ 01233 620769, . Local village pub just outside Ashford serving cask ales, home cooked food. Famous for our Queens Breakfast, Sunday lunch and great value home cooked lunches. Take aways also available on bar food
- Plough Inn, Lees Road, Brabourne Lees (Near Smeeth), ☎ 01303812169. A first class country pub. Good food and service.
- Plough, Stalisford Green, . Particularly good country pub near Charing. Serves local produce, including local beers/cider.
Locally produced Biddenden wine and cider are high quality. The cider at 8% ABV is only sold by the half pint in some pubs. There is no shortage of good pubs and bars although the best tend to be in the villages around the town.
There are many good pubs around the town.
- Bar 27, 27 High Street. Very friendly bar with great food, nice interior and outside seating in Summer.
- The County Hotel, 10 High St. A large Wetherspoons pub serving food and drink busy from Thursday to Saturday.
- Riverside Inn, Torrington Rd. Small pub located in South Ashford. (From the designer outlet shopping centre, walk across the foot bridge over the road and you are there.
- William Harvey Inn, Church Rd, Willesborough. A 350 year old traditional pub. From Ashford town centre travel out along the A292, Hythe Road towards Hythe, with the windmill on your left turn right at the traffic lights in to Church Road
- The Hare & Hounds, Maidstone Rd. An old pub just a couple of miles out of the town along the A20, heading towards Maidstone.
- The Hoodeners Horse, The Street, Great Chart.+44 1233 625583 Serving Mexican style food, located in the village, near the A28 on the way to Tenterden.
- The Flying Horse Inn, Boughton Lees. An old pub on the Pilgrims Way, adjacent to the village cricket field in Boughton on the A251 heading towards Faversham.
- The Tickled Trout Public House, Bridge St, Wye. A busy country pub adjacent to Wye railway station and the River Great Stour.
- The Queens Head, Ashford Road, Ashford, Kent TN23 3ED (295 from Ashford International Station or on the A2070 Ashford Road), ☎ 01233 620769, . 8am-11pm. Local village pub just outside Ashford serving cask ales, home cooked food. Famous for our Queens Breakfast, Sunday lunch and great value home cooked lunches. Take aways also available on bar food
- The Queens Head, 47 Lucilla Avenue , Ashford , Kent , (295 bus from Ashford International Station or on the A2070 Ashford Road if driving), ☎ 01233 620769, . 8am-11pm. Local village pub just outside Ashford serving cask ales, home cooked food. Famous for our Queens Breakfast, Sunday lunch and great value home cooked lunches. Take aways also available on bar food
- Holiday Inn Ashford Central (Ashford Hotel), Canterbury Road, Ashford, Kent, TN24 8QQ (http://www.hiashfordcentralhotel.co.uk/hotel/locations-and-directions.html), ☎ 0871 942 9001, . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 10:00. Holiday Inn Ashford is just a mile away from Ashford town centre and offers 103 bedrooms. Choose the charming Holiday Inn Ashford Central hotel for its 17th-century features, combined with thoroughly modern facilities and easy transport links to Europe.
- Broadhembury Caravan & Camping Park, Steeds Lane. Tel: +44 1233 620859 - Follow Romney Marsh Road through Kingsnorth and turn left into Steeds Lane. 3.7 miles from Ashford. broadhembury.co.uk
- Dunn Street Farm. Tel: +44 1233 712537 - Head North-West along the A20 and then right to Westwell. 4.9 miles from Ashford.
- Travel Inn, Orbital Business Park, Sevington. Tel: 0870 197 7305
- Travelodge, Eureka Leisure park, near M20 junction 9. Tel: +44 1233 213000
- Holiday Inn, Maidstone Rd, Tel: +44 1233 713333
- The Conningbrook, Canterbury Road conningbrookashford.co.uk, Tel: +44 1233 636863
- Ashford International Hotel, Simone Weil Avenue, near M20 junction 9. Tel: +44 1233 219988
- Eastwell Manor, Boughton Aluph. An old manor house that must be seen. It is expensive to stay, but lunch is available by booking for £10 for 2 courses or £15 for three. OS map 189 - TR016475 GPS: 51° 11.501 N 000° 53.061 E for those arriving by helicopter! Tel: +44 1233 213000 eastwellmanor.co.uk
- Liquid & Life Nightclub, The Flour Mill, East Hill. Tel: +44 1233 613333
A nightclub based in the Flourmills 5 minutes walk downhill from the town centre. 'Life' plays cheesy music from 70's, 80' and nineties, 'Liquid' opts for dance orientated music and R&B.
Over 21's, Smart Shoes and Collar on Saturdays.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!