Revision as of 21:28, 8 April 2012
- This article is an itinerary.
- Arrive in Yerevan
- Visit tourist information office (Nalbandyan 3)
- Visit the Parajanov Museum (surrealist director able to make art out of all manner of junk)
- Half day trip to Echmiadzin Cathedral (mother church), Zvartnots Cathedral ruins.
- Dinner at the Club (Agump), drink at Melody Cafe in the Opera Square
- Breakfast at Artbridge before heading to the following sites in Central Armenia
- Take a day trip to Garni Temple and Geghard Monastery (UNESCO)
- Hike to Aghjots Vank from Garni. Continue to explore Khosrov Reserve if you are inclined (S. Stepanos Monastery, Fortress, old inhabited caves, canyons - might need car/guide).
- Dinner at Amrots, stroll the Northern Avenue, check out the fancy fountains of Republic Square
- Quick breakfast sandwich at Yum Yum (try the basturma!)
- Head north to Lori
- Visit Saghmosavank en route
- Visit Akhtala
- Visit Odzun
- Spend night at Tufenkian Avan Dzoraget.
- Breakfast at Tufenkian hotel.
- Head to Haghpat and Sanahin UNESCO Monasteries.
- Hike to Kobayr Monastery (15 min)
- Hike to Horomayri Monastery (45 min) or Surp Grigori Monastery (35 min)
- Head back to Yerevan, spend the night
- Visit Matenadaran (Illuminated Manuscripts Collection)
- Visit Armenian Genocide Memorial and Museum
- Explore the city (and vernissage if it's the weekend)
- Have dinner at Central Cafe
- Sleep in Yerevan
- Head to Southern Armenia, get an early start.
- Visit Khor Virap Monastery and the views of Mt. Ararat en route
- Visit Noravank Monastery's two double decker church and brick red cliffs
- Visit some other sites of your choice in the area. Choose from:
- Selim Caravanseray
- Smbataberd Fortress
- Mozrov or Arjeri Caverns (requires guide)
- Tsakhats Kar Monastery
- Areni wineries
- Sleep in Jermuk
- Soak in one of the spas in Jermuk, take a bath, and hit the long road to...
- Zorats Karer - Armenia's cruder and much older roadside "Stonehenge"
- Tatev Monastery
- Satan's Bridge spring fed pools (risk a treacherous climb down to the cavern and underground river below if you like)
- Spend the night in Goris at Mrhav B&B.
- Return to Yerevan or take a side trip to nearby Nagorno-Karabakh (see separate section on page)
- Head north to Yeghegnadzor where you can take the highway directly to Lake Sevan (Martuni). Head northwest along the shores.
- Visit Noratus, Armenia's largest khachkar cemetary
- Visit Hayravank Monastery, overlooking the lake
- Visit "Kghzi", the peninsula with Sevanavank and the more popular beaches
- Eat fish and crayfish on the shores of the lake!
- Head to Dilijan and spend the night.
- Explore Dilijan
- Visit Haghartsin and/or Goshavank Monastery
- Have fish by the river - try Getap Restaurant
- Visit a Molokan (Russian Amish type sect) Village
- Head back to Yerevan to depart the following day, or on to Georgia
|This is a usable itinerary. It explains how to get there and touches on all the major points along the way. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!