Anshan (鞍山; Ānshān) is a city in Liaoning Province. Nicknamed the "Capital of Chinese Steel Industry" due to its large iron and steel factories.
The nearest airport to Anshan is Shenyang Taoxian International Airport (SHE) simplified Chinese: 沈阳桃仙国际机场. This is some 90km away and take about 2 hours to reach by road. There are coaches running regularly between Anshan and Shenyang airport. A more frequent coach service runs form the center of Shenyang, see below.
Anshan has two exit on the main Shen-Da Expressway which runs between Shenyang and Dalian. The first exit is dew West of the city, the second is towards the southern end and is signposted as "Anshan South".
Anshan's long distance coach station is in the center of town on the southern side of the square beside the train station. Regular coaches run to Anshan from most neighboring cities and other regions too. Coaches to and from Shenyang run as frequently as every 10 or 15 minutes. Effectively they leave when full. This route costs 25 RMB each way. Direct coaches between Anshan and Beijing's Eastern long distance coach station run several times a day.
Anshan is on the main line between Dalian and Shenyang. There are direct trains form most cities in Liaoning and neighboring provinces such as Jilin, Heilongjiang and Inner Mongolia as well as to Beijing.
A taxi form Shenyang to Anshan will cost about 400 RMB by the meter. Many drivers in Anshan will negotiate a significantly cheaper rate, typical between 150 RMB and 200 RMB each way.
If you are in desperate hurry to leave the town, night drivers can be contacted through the taxi drivers located outside the main train station. The main night driver route is from Dalian to Shenyang and in reverse (cost averages Y500-800 depending on distance). Negotiate a rate and then expect to cough up a little additional during your trip since your fare might be sold to another driver along the way (like a relay race and you are the baton).
Buses to just about every part of town from the area near the train station. Purchase a town map and it should have the bus routes on it. Bus route number 8 goes past the Jade Buddha temple and terminates outside Qianshan Park. To the Jade Buddha will cost 2 RMB and to Qianshan 8RMB. Most other buses cost just 1 RMB around the city. A few of the longer routes into the suburbs will cost 2 RMB. Buses on route No.8 depart from the Jianguo Street behind the long-distance bus station, at the south east end of the square near the train station. Other buses leave from the local bus station situated to the north west corner of the square.
Taxis are inexpensive in Anshan. The rates are 6 RMB for up to 3km and 2 RMB for each 1km there after. All taxis are metred but for longer journeys, you may negotiate the fare. A taxi to Qianshan mountains will cost about 30 RMB.
- Jade Buddha Temple, (Enter either by the gate on Qianshan Lu Road, near Dongshan, or through 219 park from Yuanlin Lu Road). Claiming to be the worlds largest Jade statue of the Buddha and carved form the worlds largest single piece of Jade stone, at almost 8 meters high and weighing in at 260.76 tons, this is an impressive sight. The statue is housed within a large temple complex in the Dongshan section of 219 park. 60 RMB.
- Qianshan Park, (About 12km by road, to the south east of the city. Bus route 8 goes here.). Qianshan literally means 'thousand mountains' and that is the impression you get as you look up at the jagged peaks. The name is actually and abbreviation of 'thousand lotus flower mountains'. The peaks were said to resemble the petals of the lotus flower which had been dropped to earth by a goddess. The area is filled with many Buddhist and Taoist temples and monasteris and nunneries. It is one of few locations where both religions are found sharing the same site. Three cable car routes can convey the less able up the hill sides. However, none of the cable cars will take you the whole way, leaving you some climbing to do by yourself. 50 RMB.
- Dongshan Park, (The park begins near the International Hotel and ends at the back of 219 park, near the Jade Buddha Temple.). This is a 5km path way runs along the crest of the hills that form the eastern flank of the city. Dongshan translates as East Mountain. Views can be enjoyed of the city and surrounding land as you stroll through dense woodland. Approximately half way along, a tower on the high point of the ridge, allows you to rest while taking in the views. A small entrance fee is required to climb the tower. free.
- 219 Park, Yuanlin Lu, Anshan. (From the train station, follow Eryijiu Lu (219 Road) due east.). The largest park in the region. Named after the date of liberation of Anshan by the PLA on the nineteenth of february 1948. The park contains woodland areas around a series of lakes. The area is very popular with the local people who can frequently be seen exercising, dancing, singing, playing music and practicing taichi in the grounds — especially in the early morning of mid evening. free.
- Avery, (Inside Qianshan park, near to the Matria Buddha cable car). A large netted complex within which a huge variety of birds may be observed.
- Ghost tour, Silong, Dongshan Jie. Anshan. (On the fourth floor of Silong shopping mall.). The ghost tour or haunted house should keep children amused for a while. They must walk through a labyrinth of subtly lit passageways while gooles and ghosts leap out and surprise them.
- Dongshan Amusement Park, (located at the dongshan entrance of 219 park, near the Jade Buddha Temple.). A large number of amusement rides are situated here and run throughout the year.
- Hot Spring Water Spas. There are four Spas in Anshan which take advantage of the areas natural hot springs. Visitors may shower and bathe in the spring water. At Tanganxi Spa, visitors may have mud treatement where they are burried in hot volcanic sand, which has been infused with the spring water.
- Jade Carvings of Xiuyan County - Xiuyan County in Anshan is full of a kind of jade the people call the "national stone" of China, and in the higher end department stores (like Parkson), you can find decent pricing. There is a large Jade market situated at the north end of the Jade Buddha temple complex.
- A large Leather bag market is located in Anshan's sibling city of Haichung. Here a large array of leather and imitation leather products are available such as bags, belts and wallets. Many are cheap copies of western designer brands and counterfeit goods are the norm here. Prices will be significantly cheaper than equivalent copies in other areas of china. If buying to take out of china, it's probably best to stick to Chinese brands than buy the fake western brands so as to avoid problems at customs.
- Street food, (Various locations, usually near school gates.). A wide variety of foods form lamb kebabs, quick fried chicken strips and even octopus on a stick. Look out for a popular local pancake cooked with an egg smeared over the surface, some spring onion, leak and a hotdog sausage in the center. 1 or 2 RMB.
- Pizza house, (Behind No.2 middle school (Er Zhong Xue).). Probably the best quality western food restaurant in town. They server a variety of pizzas as well as steaks.
- Guoqiao Mixian, (Opposit No.1 Middle school (Yizhong) near to the Center hospital (Zhongxin Yiyuan)). Hot spicy rice noodle restaurant.
- A Er Korean BBQ, (Next to the Vanke Office building in the just off of Shungli Lu.). Anshan is close to the border with Korea, so a large Korea population lives here. The town has dozens of Korean BBQ restaurants. Food is served raw, marinated in a variety of spicy sauces. In the center of the table is a pit containing hot coals. It is over these coals that you cook your food. A selection of spices and sauces are provided for you to dip the cooked meat into. Typically you then place the meat inside a lettuce leaf along with raw garlic and chili pepper (to you taste), before eating.
- Fuxiang, Yuanlin Lu, Tiedong. Anshan (Near Weixiao Nursing Coledge.). Various Chinese traditional specialities.
- xianlaisun, Yuanlin Lu, Tiedong, Anshan. (Near No.9 Middle school (Jiuzhong)). Hot pot restaurant.
- Badifuxing, Yuanlin Lu, Tiedong. Anshan. (In a small lane next to 219 Primary School (Eryijiu Xiao Xue)). Sichuan style food. Very spicy.
- Dongshan Hotel, (Off of Eryijiu Jie (219 Road) near the main entrance to 219 park.). High quality Chinese food.
- Shanghai Club, Hunan Jie, Anshan. (Just south of 219 park in the Hunan district of the city.). Up market restaurant serving typical Chinese food.
- SOS Club, Shungli Lu, Tiedong District, Anshan. (Next to Wuhan hotel about 1km North of Shungli Square.). A lively and amazingly decorated nightclub. 20 RMB per bottle of beer.
- Coco Club, Shungli Lu, Leishan district, Anshan. (Near to the main gate of Leishan Park, below the war memorial.). A lively and amazingly decorated nightclub. 20 RMB per bottle of beer.
- Anshan International Hotel, 219 Yuanlin Rd. Anshan, ☎ (0412)5555888 (fax: (0412)5555988). A five star hotel situated at the edge of Dongshan Park.
- Wuhan Hotel, Shungli Lu, Teidong. Anshan (On the corner of Shungli Lu and Xinhua Jie. Within 10 minutes walk of the main shopping centers.). Renmen Park, behind this five star hotel, is a hive of activity in the evenings with people dancing, exersizing and practicing Taichi. Several "doctors" set up benches here where you can have a massage from 15 RMB.
There is a 24 hour spa on the west side of Shengli Binguan. All I remember is that the name had cloud in the name and sky strobe lights.