The Andean Highlands is a region in central-western Colombia.
- Bucaramanga : Capital of Santander province. Located in northeast of Bogotá and lies in the scenic valley of the Río de Oro with roots deep in colonial history.
- Manizales : Capital of the Caldas department. A city full of parks and republican architecture, and one of the getaways to the coffee region. Manizales celebrates each year, at the end of September, the International Festival of Theater of Manizales .
- San Gil : Set in the Guanenta province of Santander. It's Colombia’s adrenalin and adventure sports capital.
- Río Claro : Beautiful, unique and unbelievable place. Now it is safe for all. It's a canyon of a very clear river. The floor of this river is marble. Caves, jungle and beautiful landscape. To go take a bus from Medellín 3-4 h. in the direction of Bogotá. Private nature reserve, you can stay in the hotel or camping. Don't miss this place.
- Cocuy National Park : Great trekking opportunities between lagunas and snow capped summits of the Colombian Andes.
Since Spanish is the official language of Colombia, it should be relatively easy to get around in the larger cities knowing basic Spanish. In rural areas, however, it is not uncommon to find villages that still speak pre-conquest indigenous languages, although the youth in these locations will more than likely speak Spanish as well.