Ancona  is the capital of the Italian region called Marche. It is an important port city on the coast of the Adriatic Sea. Most of its medieval center was bombed during World War II. Its cathedral, however, is set on the mountain overlooking Ancona and still worth a look. There is also a monument built by Mussolini on the waterfront. It offers glorious vistas, on a coastline that extends from Venice to Pescara with mainly flat sandy beaches. The popular resorts of Portonovo, Sirolo, and Santa Maria di Badia are at the Mount's base.
Many ferries link Ancona, and therefore Italy, to Croatia, Greece and Turkey.
Ancona Airport 
Ferries are cheap and go regularly between various places by the coast. The following international lines are serviced by car ferries:
Check out Blue Line International , SNAV , or Jadrolinija  for more info on some of these lines.
- To/from Bar (Montenegro) - 18 hours, twice a week, only in the summer, cheapest way approx 70 € - 
An up-to-date site with all ferry schedules from Ancona to Greece, Croatia and Turkey .
- Ancona Cathedral. Attractive Ancona Cathedral stands on the Guasco hill overlooking the city's port and offers amazing views of Ancona and the Adriatic coast. The wooden roof of the 11th century Cathedral is actually in the shape of an upside-down boat and its most obvious feature is the 12-sided cupola. The Cathedral is actually built on the site of an ancient temple dedicated to Venus and you can still see some of the ruins underneath the church.
- Serenellini's Accordion Factory. Since 1978 "Serenellini" manufactures a wide range of excellent handicrafted accordions, able to satisfy the needs of the student as well as the most demanding professional accordionist. The artisan style of Serenellini's accordion suits to the quality of the product; using only the best Italian raw materials,employing highly experienced craftsmen and adhering to a severe policy of accurate on-line testing up to the final product give rise to the top reliability guarantee of the instrument.
- Parco del Cardeto, . Beautiful park on the hills close to the city. You gain an amazing view over the city, the harbour and along the coastline of the adriatic sea. No access to the beach from here. free. (43.621157,13.521574)
- Pinacoteca Comunale, . Ancona's Pinacoteca Comunale (art gallery) is located in Palazzo Bosdari and houses over 100 works by 14th-19th century artists from the Marche and Veneto regions, including Titian and Andrea del Sarto. The top floor of the museum is occupied by the Gallery of Modern Art which contains a large number of works by the late Francesco Podesti and various other contemporary Italian artists. (44.137778,12.247778)
- Mount Conero & Beaches, . Beautiful coastline and beaches lying at the foot of Mount Conero
Ulderico on the waterfront, close to the Mole Vanvitelliana is an excellent as well as budget place to eat fish.
- Twilightblue hotels in Ancona 
- NH Jolly Ancona, Rupi di Via XXIX Settembre, 14, +39 071 201171 . The NH Jolly Ancona can be found in the heart of the shopping area, just 200 meters from the Corso Garibaldi and the Cathedral, in front of the Calamo Fountian and the Mole Vanvitelliana, where many prestigious events are held.
- Ostello della Gioventu, Via Lamaticci, . checkin: 16:30; checkout: 11:30. Private hostel very close to the central station. Pro: Free Wifi Con: Closed between 11:30 and 16:30. Also closed between midnight and 6:30. So you have to return early if you like to go a party. 18.00 EUR/person/night.
Internet cafe is on the port, Via Guglielmo Marconi, a bit east of the train station. It is also an international calling service. Two computers.
Be aware that the train station has two sets of lines, and Platform 2 Ovest is NOT THE SAME as Platform 2.