Anacortes  is a city in the North Cascades region in Washington. It is notable for being the major Washington State Ferries terminal to the San Juan Islands.
- By car: From I-5 north or south, take the exit for Highway 20 in Burlington. This runs turns into Commercial Drive, and runs through the heart of town, and on to the Washington State Ferries terminal.
- By ferry: many of the Washington State Ferry lines from the San Juan Islands terminate at the ferry terminal southwest of town. Anacortes is the first major town which you meet as you leave the ferry.
- By air: Anacortes airport, between the town and the ferry terminal, offers scheduled and charter service in small propeller airplanes, serving the San Juan Islands. It also welcomes general aviation. General commercial air service is offered through Bellingham to the north or Sea-Tac.
The City of Anacortes occupies roughly half of Fidalgo Island, the westernmost island in the San Juans archipelago. The city itself comprises 15 square miles, approximately half of which is public park and recreational lands and waters. The city has 12 miles of shoreline and 67 miles of public trails. Its population is currently 16,000. The city is home to thousands of boats and close to two million visitors each year use Anacortes ferry connections to the other San Juan islands and to Victoria, BC.
Fidalgo Island is a beautiful place, covered in northwest forest, with a number of freshwater lakes, Mt. Erie, many parks, and a thriving small town. The city serves as a wonderful "home port" for boaters exploring local waters or on their way to Alaska--in fact, Anacortes has been named on many "best boating" destination lists over the years.
For more information, please visit www.anacortes.org.
- Esteban's Family Restaurant, 1506 Commercial Ave, ☎ +1-360-299-1060. Large plates filled with well-made but ordinary interpretations of the usual Mexican fare, plus a few burgers and other US favourites. Also some children's selections. Beans and cheese options for many of the dishes. $10/person.
- Calico Cupboard, Commercial Drive.