| || |
| || |
Revision as of 12:32, 26 February 2013
Plantage is a leafy neighborhood in the centre of Amsterdam. This article also covers the Eastern Islands.
As walking to Plantage can take more than 20 minutes, most visitors would take the tram to get there. From Central Station, trams 9 and 14 crosses right through the district. The stops Plantage Kerklaan, Plantage Badlaan and Alexanderplein are the most important ones.
The metro is the fastest way to get into the district, but the locations of its stops are less convenient for travellers than the tram stops. Two stations serve the Plantage area. Waterlooplein station is the closest to the main sights, including the Artis Zoo, the various museums and the Hollandsche Schouwburg. Exiting the station at Hortusplantsoen, it's only a short walk to the area. Another station is 'Weesperplein'. This station is close to the UvA faculty and the Carré Theater.
All metro lines from Central Station (lines 51, 53 and 54) stop at both stations.
Plantage is a leafy area, most popular for Artis Royal Zoo and its botanical gardens.
- Artis Royal Zoo, Plantage Kerklaan 38-40, ☎ +31 20 523 34 00, . An entry ticket for Artis also provides admission to the Planetarium, the Aquarium and the Zoological Museum. Artis is also a botanical garden, with plants and trees gathered from all over the world, just like the animal species. Don't miss the Artis ZOOmeravonden . Tickets: youth (3 to 9 years) €15,50, normal (10 to 64 years) €18,95, seniors (65 +) €17,50.
- De Gooyer, Funenkade 5. The only windmill in the centre of Amsterdam. Built around 1725 and moved to this location in 1814. Not open for visitors. Next door is the popular microbrewery Brouwerij 't IJ.
- Hermitage Amsterdam, Nieuwe Herengracht 14 (Metro Waterlooplein), ☎ +31 20 5308751, . Hermitage Amsterdam is a dependency of the Hermitage Museum of Saint Petersburg on the Amstel River in Amsterdam. This museum hosts exhibitions with paintings and other cultural artifacts from the vaults of its Russian parent.
- Hortus Botanicus, Plantage Middenlaan 2a (Tram 9 or 14 Mr. Visserplein. Metro Waterlooplein.), ☎ +31206259021, . daily 10:00-17:00. The 'Hortus' as it is called by locals, was formerly the Botanical Garden of the University of Amsterdam. € 7,50.
- Verzetsmuseum (Dutch Resistance Museum), Plantage Kerklaan 61D, ☎ +31 20 620 25 35, . Award-winning museum showing what Amsterdam and Holland were like during Nazi occupation.
- Wertheimpark, (Opposite the Hortus Botanicus). A small park with a World War II memorial located at one of the nicest canals in Amsterdam.
- Brouwerij 't IJ, Funenkade 7/ Zeeburgerpad 55, . A very good local small beer brewery, making the best beer in the world. Take the tour!
- Koffiehuis van den Volksbond, Kadijksplein 4, . Former coffeehouse for harbour labourers. Now a small atmospheric restaurant in the east of the city centre. Mainly visited by locals. The menu changes often, ranging from €15 to €20 for a main course. You may have to share a table with other guests. No creditcards.
- De Bamboeseur, Plantage Parklaan 10, ☎ +31 20 625 47 21. Daily 11AM-1AM. Fabulous little bar in the traditional "brown cafe" style in a fairly residential district near Artis Zoo. All the food is homemade daily; you really can't go wrong with any part of the menu. No reservations necessary, but seating is limited to a small bar and 8 tables of varying sizes upstairs. Great place to spend an evening. Open for lunch and dinner.
- The IJ Brewery (Brouwerij 't IJ), Funenkade 7, ☎ +31 20 622 83 25, . W-Su 3PM-8PM. Its label with an ostrich egg is a visual pun, as IJ and 'ei' - the word for egg - sound the same in Dutch. East of the centre, close to Artis Zoo, in a former bath house beside a windmill. A small scale brewery where delicious beer in several varieties and strengths is brewed and sold - at a bar - on the premises. The beer is available at some specialist beer shops, and of high quality and, in some cases, alcohol content. Internationally renowned!
- Hotel De Paris Amsterdam, Valkenburgerstraat 72, 1011 LZ Amsterdam, ☎ +31 20 638 29 91, . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 11:00. The hotel is a 3 star non smoking hotel with 37 rooms.
- Eden Lancaster Hotel, Plantage Middenlaan 48 (Opposite Artis Zoo), ☎ +31 20 535 6888, . Recently renovated, quaint 3-star hotel with 91 rooms and bags of character. Friendly and helpful English-speaking staff, quiet area and very good value for money. €69.
- InterContinental Amstel Hotel, Professor Tulpplein 1, ☎ +31 20 622 60 60, . Historic 5-star hotel located on banks of Amstel River, near financial, shopping and theater districts. Voted the Netherlands' best in 2008 by Condé Nast Traveller. 19th-century palace, 79 guestrooms and suites, indoor swimming pool, spa facilities including a Turkish bath. €495.