| || |
The word Almeria is an Arabic word which means ''mirror of the sea''. Like many Andalusian cities, Almeria kept its Arabic name after it had been recaptured by the Spanish. It is a relatively small town by the sea, which includes in
it's region the natural refuge area of Cabo de Gata. |+|
The word Almeria is an Arabic word which means ''mirror of the sea''. Like many Andalusian cities, Almeria kept its Arabic name after it had been recaptured by the Spanish. It is a relatively small town by the sea, which includes in region the area of Cabo de Gata.
| || |
Revision as of 13:03, 10 December 2009
Almeria is a city in Andalucia.
The word Almeria is an Arabic word which means mirror of the sea. Like many Andalusian cities, Almeria kept its Arabic name after it had been recaptured by the Spanish. It is a relatively small town by the sea, which includes in its region the Natural Resort (Parque Natural) area of Cabo de Gata.
Carriers serving Almeria include Monarch  from London Luton, Birmingham and Manchester, Ryanair from London Stansted, Air Nostrum from Barcelona, BMIBaby from East Midlands, Easyjet from London Gatwick & Jet2.com  from Leeds/Bradford.
Almeria's train station is located on the Plaza de la Estación in the centre of the city and has services to destinations across Spain.
- Casa de los Marqueses de Torrealta
- Cathedral of Santa María de la Encarnación
- John Lennon Monument
- La Alcazaba
- Las Claras Convent
- Museo del Aceite de Oliva
- Palace of the Marquees of Cabra
- Palace of the Viscounts of the Castillo de Almansa
- Visit the great beaches of Las Salinas and La Almadrava de Monteleva.
- Círculo Mercantil
- Mercado Central - the central market.
There are numerous tapas bars located around the town, offering a choice of meat, fish and seafood as well as some typical tortillas and potato dishes. Tapas are the local choice, often visited by locals before the night fiesta.
- Calle Mayor (center). Calle Mayor is a tapas-bar located between the Rambla and the paseo de Almeria near the center. If has a variety of tapas, often different than the most common choices found in most of the tapas bars in the city, some of the choices being vegetarian. The price for a caña of beer (a smaller glass than the tubo's)and a tapa is only one euro in the evenings.
- 46 (center (quatro calles)). For a different selection of tapas, 46 is an Italian tapas bar, with a variety of lasagna and pastas as an additional choice to the common tapas. Price of a tubo of beer and tapa is 2 euro.
- NH Ciudad de Almeria, Jardín de Medina, +34.95.0182500 . Recently built, located at the Jardín de Medina street, in the very heart of the city. A privileged location opposite the train and bus stations near the Marina and perfectly linked to the airport.