Alameda is an island in the East Bay of the Bay Area, California. It is right across from Oakland. One can get there from Oakland by use of the island one can get to by use of the bridges or the tunnel.
The area is very accessible from the 23rd street exit off of 880, as well as the Webster/Posey Tube if you are arriving via downtown Oakland.
The Alameda-Oakland ferry  provides service from San Francisco to Oakland and Alameda. The ferry can be an enjoyable way to travel, given good weather.
Alameda is located very close to Oakland International Airport.
Alameda is served by regular AC Transit  routes 20, 21, 31, 51A, O, OX, and W. Supplementary routes 631 and 663 also serve Alameda, as well as special route 314. 12th Street-Oakland City Center, Lake Merritt, and Fruitvale BART stations are also close to Alameda as well as the Oakland-Jack London Square Amtrak station.
Alameda is an island, and as such it's difficult to get truly lost if you have your basic bearings. The island is bordered on the north by the Oakland estuary and to the south by the San Francisco bay. The west end of the island is taken up by the now closed Alameda Naval Air Station. At the south end, you'll find a bridge to Bay Farm Island.
Major north/south streets:
- Webster St.
- Grand St.
- Park St.
- High St.
Major east/west streets:
- Lincoln Ave.
- Santa Clara Ave.
- Central Ave.
- Encinal Ave.
- Otis Dr.
- USS Hornet (CV-12), Pier 3, Alameda Point, ☎ +1 510 521-8448, . The USS Hornet is a retired World War II aircraft carrier that fought numerous battles in the Pacific and also retrieved the astronauts of Apollo 11 and Apollo 12 after splashdown. The ship is currently run as a museum, with the hangar deck, flight deck, and some other areas open to wander around in, and tours offering the chance to see control rooms, engineering facilities, and other areas of this retired warship.Allow a minimum of three hours; ideally five or more. Admission is $14 for adults, $12 for students.
- Pacific Pinball Museum, 1510 Webster St, ☎ +1 510 769-1349, . The Pacific Pinball Museum showcases the "science, art, and history" of pinball. With admission, play is free on all but the oldest three of their 90 pinball machines, so allow several hours to explore the many variations there. Admission is $15 for adults, $7.50 for kids under 12.
- Crown Beach, (Eighth Street and Otis Drive), . A good beach on the bay. Very popular with kiteboarders.
- Pacific Pinball Museum, 1510 Webster St (Santa Clara and Webster), ☎ 510-769-1349, . Tu-Th 2p-9p, Fr 2p-midnight, Sa 11a-midnight, Su 11a-9p. A 'museum' of over 100 classic pinball games, arranged approximately chronologically. The games are set on free play, so you can play as long as you like with the cost of admission. $15.
- Alameda Skatepark, located on the closed Alameda Naval Air Base; great spot to ride skateboards and skates and great views of the bay. Take the #63 bus to get there.
- Color Me Mine of Alameda, 2205 South Shore Center (Between Trader Joe's and Applebee's), ☎ 510.521.8893, . Open Daily. World famous paint-your-own-pottery studio located at Alameda Towne Centre by the beach. Hundreds of preformed ceramics to paint as you wish. No experience necessary. Kids and adults. No reservations needed on most days.
- Alameda Point Antiques and Collectibles Faire (Flea Market), ☎ +1 510 522-7500, . Monthly extravaganza of antiques and vintage items. Hundreds of vendors.
- Farmstead Cheeses and Wines, 1650 Park Street, ☎ +1 510 864-9463, . Great staff, great cheese, and great wine. Located in the Alameda Marketplace .
- Hangar One, 2601 Monarch Street, ☎ +1 800 782 8145, . Distillery where you can buy spendy but excellent spirits (plain and flavored vodkas, Scotch, eaux de vie, etc.) and/or enjoy a $10 tasting menu.
- Calafia Taqueria, 1445 Webster St., ☎ +1 510 522-2996. Good burritos, surprisingly uncrowded.
- India Palace, 737 Buena Vista, ☎ +1 510 814-8778. India Palace has an excellent (if small) buffet of Northern Indian dishes every lunch, and an equally good set of dishes every dinner.
- Speisekammer, 2424 Lincoln Ave., ☎ +1 510 522-1300, . A traditional German restaurant. Great food, great beer.
- Sushi House, 2375 Shoreline Drive, ☎ +1 510 865-0999, . Very good sushi hidden in a mall. Often crowded at dinner.
- Ole's Waffle Shop, 1507 Park St., ☎ +1 510 522-8108. Old school retro diner. Been around since the '30's--and stayed the same since, good variety of greasy spoon food. Lines for tables are out the door every morning for the waffles and the pancakes. Somewhat similar to Jim's Diner which is right nearby.
- Julie's Coffee and Tea Garden, 1223 Park St., ☎ +1 510 865-2385, . Friendly coffee and tea shop with huge loose tea selection and excellent vegan baked goods. Free wifi and a beautiful backyard garden with abundant seating.
- Fireside Lounge, 1453 Webster St., ☎ +1 510 522-7400. There is a beautiful bar, nice lounge feel and pool table.
- Forbidden Island Tiki Lounge, 1304 Lincoln Ave., ☎ +1 510 749-0332. One of the owners is a former bartender of the venerable Trader Vic's so it's not surprising he and his cohorts have opened a bar that comes with all the 1960s-esque island interior fixings--waterfalls and bamboo trimmings.
- Lucky 13, 1301 Park St., ☎ +1 510 523-2118. Great beers on tap, motorcycle friendly, a jukebox that pumps out good music, and they have a bbq in the back if you want to grill something up.
- Lost Weekend Lounge, 2320 Santa Clara Ave., ☎ +1 510 523-4700. This is a great neighborhood bar with a solid selection of beer, friendly, zero-attitude bartenders and a good jukebox. Check out their collection of lava lamps above the bar.
Alameda Sun address=3215J Encinal Ave. phone=+1 510 263-1470 fax=+1 510 263-1473  Alameda's only locally owned and operated newspaper.
- Days Inn San Francisco/Alameda/Oakland, 1925 Webster Street, ☎ +1 510 521-8400, .
- Hampton Inn Alameda (independent site), 1700 Harbor Bay Parkway, ☎ 510-521-4500, . Near Oakland International Airport just few miles distance from San Francisco and closest to MacAfee Coliseum.
- Hawthorn Suites Oakland/Alameda, 1628 Webster St., Alameda, CA 94501, ☎ +1 510 522-1000 (fax: +1 510 522-1011), . checkin: 3:00 PM; checkout: 12:00 PM.
- Courtyard Oakland Airport (Courtyard by Marriott Oakland Airport), 350 Hegenberger Road, Oakland, CA 94621 (Near Oakland International Airport), ☎ 1-510-568-7600, . checkin: 3:00pm; checkout: 12:00pm. Relax minutes from your flight at the Courtyard Oakland Airport Hotel. Our Oakland airport hotel provides free shuttle service to the airport and to the nearby BART train station, giving you access to Berkeley, San Francisco and beyond. Our business traveler guests will love the large, flexible workspace, well-lit desk, and free high-speed internet access.
San Leandro is across the bay by using California State Route 61, there are plenty of shorelines and beaches here, as well as malls, hotels and worldwide industries (including Otis Spunkmeyer's and Ghirardelli's worldwide headquarters)