Aït-Benhaddou is a city in Morocco.
This is a traditional Mud Brick city on the edge of the High Atlas Mountains. It is on the UNESCO World Heritage List and has featured in many films, mostly as a replacement for Jerusalem.
It has appeared in more than 10 movies, including Lawrence of Arabia and Gladiator.
Aït Benhaddou is accessible from Ouarzazate and Marrakesh
- Buses do not ply direct to Aït Benhaddou but can drop you off at the turn off about 7 km away from where you will have to find a lift.
It will be better to arrange a private hire of a taxi for the trip.
- Car: Aït Benhaddou is 9 km off the main Tizi n Tichka road, which links Ouarzazate to Marrakech. Coming from Ouarzazate, turn to the right after about18 km from the town. It's quite a scenic drive to Aït Benhaddou. On the way into town there is a slight turn to the right, which is a popular spot for great views over the town and the Kasbah.
- From Marrakesh it will be a full day trip and the best advice is to organize a private tour if you do not have much time.
Morocco Explored offers a well priced private trip which includes stops in the High Atlas Mountains.
Once inside the Ksar you can only walk or climb. To get there from the newer part of the town you will have to cross a river via stepping stones. Locals will charge you 10Dr to cross the river on a donkey, and they probably remove the stepping stones to improve their business. The river is only knee-deep and can be easily crossed on foot.
- The town itself is the main attraction, with mud buildings climbing up the side of the hill.
- The Granary at the top of the hill is impressive and well worth the effort to get up there.
- The Mausoleum of Ben-Haddou is at the base of the hill on the opposite side to the town.
Climb atop the hill for breathtaking views.
There are several shops within the town that sell souvenirs from all over the Sahara, particularly prevalent are Models of the Ksar and wooden artifacts from the Dogon people in Mali.
There is a very friendly carpet shop in the newer part of town near the post office.
- Hotel la Baraka in the newer part of town has a restaurant with a nice courtyard.
- Hotel la Baraka
- Hotel le Kasbah
- Auberge La Goulade. The first auberge along the road into Ait Benhaddou, run by a French man and his Moroccan wife. Very friendly, excellent food and good price!
- Hotel Restaurant La Rose Du Sable, Kasbah Ait Benhaddou, Morocco, ☎ +212 (0) 5 24 89 00 22, . Clean, comfortable rooms. Great food.
- Riad Ksar Ighnda, Douar As Falou, Ait Benhaddou, Morocco (3km past Ait Ben Haddou), ☎ +212 (0) 5 24 88 76 44, . In an authentic yet modern setting, Riad Ksar Ighnda opens its doors for you onto the Atlas Mountains with rooms in tadelakt with air conditioning.