| || |
| || |
Revision as of 08:37, 30 May 2010
Øresund Coast is on Zealand in Denmark.
The Øresund Coast is limited by Helsingør Freeway (E55/E47) to the west and stretches from Tårbæk in the south to Humlebæk in the north. The fashionable Strandvejen runs along the coast through a number of towns and neighborhoods including from south to north Tårbæk, Skodsborg, Trørød, Vedbæk, Rungsted, Hørsholm, Usserød, Kokkedal, Nivå and Humlebæk.
The coastline is well connected by the motorway E47/E55 from the Danish border town Elsinore in the north and Copenhagen in the south. Rail connects the area as well to Copenhagen and the Swedish border city Helsingborg (on the other side of the coast).
North of Hørsholm
- Louisiana Museum of Contemporary Art, Gammel Strandvej 13 (Humlebæk), ☎ ''+45'' 49190719, . Daily 10AM–5PM, Wednesdays until 10PM. Museum of modern art. It has an old park, is located right on the coast and has a view of Sweden across the sound. You can have a picnic in the park. Louisiana has a permanent collection, changing exhibitions of art and films, concerts, a children’s wing, a sculpture park, a cafe, a museum shop that sells books, reproductions, posters, postcards, etc. The collection include works of Arp, Francis Bacon, Calder, Dubuffet, Max Ernst, Sam Francis, Giacometti, Kiefer, Henry Moore, Picasso, Rauschenberg and Warhol. Take a walk just outside museum. At the main road leading to Copenhagen (south) and Helsingør (north) is an old church with a large cementary, set along a ravine with extraordinary vegetation. DKK 90.
- Nivaagaards Malerisamling, Gammel Strandvej 2 (Nivå), ☎ ''+45'' 49141017, . Museum with paintings of Rembrandt, Eckersberg, Købke.
- Old Hørsholm. This cluster of pretty yellow buildings by the local church is what remains of the old Hørsholm city. The old town bordering the part and church is home to a cluster of museums, as well as the old vicarage, the chevallier homes and the Freedom statue by French artist N.H. Jardin
- Hørsholm Church. The church is on the grounds at what used be one the country's finest palaces, but it had fallen into disuse and was torn down in 1810, the old park surrounding the unusual and picturesque church still has many visible remains of the old palace gardens, and the palace's old Baptismal font is still inside the church.
- Jagt- og Skovbrugsmuseet (Danish Museum of Hunting and Forestry), Folehavevej 15, ☎ +45 4586 0572, . The biggest museum in Europe in its field.
- Hørsholm Egns Museum (Hørsholm Museum of local history,), Sdr. Jagtvej 2 (Hørsholm), ☎ +45 4586 0711, .
- Fuglsanghus (Hørsholm Munipal Exhibition Hall), Gl. Hovedgade 2 (Hørsholm), ☎ +45 4586 2469, .
- Karen Blixen Museet, Rungsted Strandvej 111 (Rungsted), ☎ +45 45 57 10 57, .
- Hørsholm Mølle, Ved Møllen 8 (Hørsholm), ☎ +45 45 76 55 08.
South of Hørsholm
The area has numerous restaurant, especially pricy ones. Most are situated around the harbour areas along the coast. Most exiting is Rungsted Havn with quite a few restaurants and a very lively harbour life, espicially on warmer days. There are also a few places around Vedbæk Havn. Cheaper places are found further away from the coast, try Hørsholm for a selection.
- Appetitten, Usserød Kongevej 37, Hørsholm, ☎ +45 7217 0102. Serves bagels, salats, sandwiches and ice cream. Large sandwich 45 Kr.
- Club Royal, Rungsted Havn 42, ☎ +45 4576 1424, . 11MA-10PM, kitchen closed 4PM-6PM. One of the few cheap places at Rungsted Harbour. Very limited menu. Today's special evening main course 98 Kr.
- Pizzeria Baghuset, Vedbæk Stationsvej 19 (S-train to Vedbæk Station, then walk 50m east), ☎ +45 4589 1287.
- Pizzeria Burger House, Hovedgaden 37B, Hørsholm, ☎ +45 4586 4313 (email@example.com), . M-Sa 11AM-10PM, Su noon-10PM. Serves pizzas, pastas, sandwiches, chicken. Pizzas 48-70 Kr.
- Restaurant Shanghai, Christianshusvej 4E, Hørsholm, ☎ +45 4578 5888, 3116 1354, . Evening buffet 98 Kr (F-Su 118 Kr), mains 65-99 Kr.
- Restaurant Shuang Long, Hørsholm Midtpunkt 1, ☎ +45 4576 6373 (fax: +45 4576 6372), . Chinese cuisine.
- Café Crostini, Rungsted Havn 16, ☎ +45 4576 0963 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Limited menu, mostly pastas and burgers. But a nice place both in and out. Mains 110-188 Kr, three course menu 265 Kr.
- Den Hvide Elefant, Rungsted Havn 38, ☎ +45 4579 0021, . 4PM-10PM. Thai cuisine, with at least some dishes tasting like in Thailand, especially if you ask them to make it spicy. Cozy atmosphere, eventhough it is a bit tucked away from the lively harbour front. The dishes are small, so you might have to order three mains for a couple. Mains 99-169 Kr.
- Lastrummet, Rungsted Havn 28, ☎ +45 4576 9099, . Limited menu. Mains 110-198 Kr.
- No. 22 Bistro, Rungsted Havn 22, ☎ +45 4576 0608 (email@example.com), . Danish cuisine. The most up-market harbour front restaurant at Rungsted Havn. Lunch courses from 68 Kr, three course evening menu 338 Kr.
- Nokken, Rungsted Havn 44, ☎ +45 4557 1314 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . M-F noon-11PM, Sa 11AM-11PM, Su 11AM-4PM, kitchen closed 3:30PM-6PM and after 10PM. Stylish restaurant in nice surroundings. Danish cuisine. The menu is nothing special, the wine card is extensive. The food is ok, but overall the place struggles to live up to its pretentions as a gourmet restaurant. Mains 175-185 Kr, tasting menu 495 Kr.
- Bolettes Gæstebud, Gl. Strandvej 7, Humlebæk, ☎ +45 4919 4500 (email@example.com), . Kitchen Tu-Sa noon-3PM, 6PM-9PM, Su noon-3PM. Three course menu 298 Kr.
- Nautilus Vedbæk Havn, Vedbæk Strandvej 356 (S-train to Vedbæk Station, then walk 700m southeast; or take bus 193 from Vedbæk Station to Vedbæk Havn Stop, then walk 100m southeast), ☎ +45 4566 1882 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . From noon, kitchen closed 4PM-5:30PM. View of the harbour and Øresund. The prices are not to bad for this location, but the menu will suit guests who like to eat in cafes best. Mains 99-249 Kr.
- Restaurant Køllesgaard, Ny Strandvej 21, Humlebæk, ☎ +45 4919 1505, . Mains 178-230 Kr.
- Restaurant Mikkelgaard, Rungsted Strandvej 302, ☎ +45 4576 6313 (email@example.com), . Tu-Sa noon-3PM, 6PM-10PM; Su noon-3PM. Restaurant in a small, old manor with a view of Øresund. Serves interesting menus without being very sophisticated. Three course menu 395 Kr.
- Trekosten, Nivå Strandpark 29, Nivå (on the marina, at the end of the pier), ☎ +45 4914 0555, . Nov-Apr, ca Th-Sa and Su lunch the rest of the year, lunch noon-3:30PM, dinner 5:30PM-9PM. With a great view over the sea of Øresund. Lunch around 70 Kr (the big lunch platter is 118 Kr), dinner main courses around 170 Kr.
- La Sabbia, Skodsborg Strandvej 158 (S-train to Skodsborg Station, then walk 600m southeast; or S-train to Klampenborg Station, then bus 388 to Skodsborgvej/Solgårdsvej Stop, then walk 100m east), ☎ +45 4580 6510 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +45 4580 6510), . 5PM-midnight. Restaurant with panoramic view of Øresund from indoor or outdoor seating. Italian cuisine. Simple black and white interior. What you primarily pay for here is the location as the food is seen better elsewhere at this price level. Pastas 159-169 Kr, mains 185-295 Kr.
- La Vela, Vedbæk Strandvej 362 (S-train to Vedbæk Station, then walk 600m southeast; or take bus 193 from Vedbæk Station to Vedbæk Havn Stop, then walk 100m south), ☎ +45 4566 1843 (email@example.com), . M-Sa 6PM-midnight, kitchen closes at 10PM. Restaurant in old farm house with sea view. Italian cuisine. Interior, style, service and choice of food ingredients worthy of a gourmet restaurant, but the design of the dishes and quality of cooking falls behind what can be expected from a restaurant at this price level. Three course menu 375 Kr, mains 245-298 Kr.
- Tårbæk Kro, Tårbæk Strandvej 102 (S-train to Klampenborg Station, then walk 500m northeast; or you can take bus 388 from Klampenborg Station to Strandvejen/Dyrehavevej Stop, then walk 100m east), ☎ +45 3963 0096 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +45 3963 5096), . 11AM-9:45PM. Restaurant at Tårbæk harbour with seating both in and out. Spacious, bright and elegant interior, but the exterior is a bit worn. French cuisine with focus on seafood and soup. The place also has a separate inn offering Danish cuisine. Lunch platter 185 Kr, mains 185-235 Kr.
The nightlife along the Øresund coast is rather limited. There are some neighborhood bars near the shopping areas in Humlebæk, Kokkedal, Nivå and Hørsholm. These are of limited interest for travelers unless you are really thirsty.
- Café Rosenhusen, Vedbæk Strandvej 378, ☎ +45 4566 2040. 10AM-9PM. Great location for a coffee or beer on a sunny day. But the service and even more so the food are terrible.
The area has very limited accomodations with only two hotels to choose between. More can be found in nearby Helsingør or Hillerød. Or Copenhagen a bit further away can be used as a base for exploring the Øresund Coast
- Humlebæk Bed & Breakfast, Humlebæk Strandvej 143, ☎ +45 4070 0820. By the beach with private access and parking. 30 sqm apartment with living area, dining area and sleeping area. It has TV, fridge, stove and kitchen appliances. King size bed, childrens double bunk bed and baby weekend. 550 Kr.
- Skodsborg Kurhotel and Spa, Skodsborg Strandvej 139 (S-train to Klampenborg Station, then bus 388 to Strandmølle Kro Stop, then walk 100m north), ☎ +45 4558 5800 (email@example.com, fax: +45 4558 5810), . The hotel is in historical buildings, which have been the royal summer residence for some years during mid 19th century. Access to fitness centre and swimming pools included in the room price. Spa treatments available against surcharge. Rooms with TV, radio, Internet, trouser press, hairdryer and desk. Restaurant and café. Rooms and food quality are great, surroundings are beautiful and quiet, but the spa is seen better elsewhere. Doubles from 1,685 Kr including breakfast.
- Vedbæk Quality Hotel Marina, Vedbæk Strandvej 391 (S-train to Vedbæk Station, then walk 600m southeast), ☎ +45 4589 1711 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +45 4589 1722), . Very quiet location across the street from the beach. There are lots of sports and recreational opportunities in the area. Rooms with free internet, trouser press and iron. Some also with safe and fridge. Conference rooms, table tennis, table football, billiards, jacuzzi, sauna and fitness available. Rooms are bright but the decor is uninspired. Doubles around 1,500 Kr, often discounted in the weekend.
|Routes through Øresund Coast
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!