Örebro  is a modern city located in the small province of Närke in Svealand in south central Sweden. It's located on the flat Närke plains, surrounded by vast forest areas. It's Sweden's 7th largest municipality with a population of about 129,000 (2006).
Örebro was previously known as a shoe manufacturing center. Nowadays a lot of people living here work for the public sector, for instance with statistics.
There are daily flights to Örebro from Malmö, Copenhagen and Stockholm/Arlanda.
Örebro is located near Hallsberg, which is Sweden's premier train hub. Train connectivity is therefore excellent from all over Sweden.
E20, E18 and riksväg 50 all connect in Örebro.
Swebus express  and Säfflebussen  offers bus services to and from most major cities. Lindbergs buss  has cheap tickets, one daily departure to and from Stockholm.
The city center is easily explored on foot. There is a well functioning network of city buses  servicing all parts of the city. Almost all regional and city buses stop at Resecenter (next to the train station). Järntorget also functions as a hub for the city buses. The municipality offers bicycles for rent if one wishes to explore the city by bike. Enquire at the tourist agency in the castle.
- Örebro Castle  is one of Sweden's most photogenic. Tours are available.
- The city park has been voted Sweden's most beautiful, and a visit is recommended in the summertime.
- Wadköping  is an open-air museum with lots of old cottages.
- Nature Reserve Oset just a power walk along the river Svartån down to the lake Hjälmaren you will find the lush and green open space nature reserve Oset. Here you will find cows, birds and the best jogging track near Örebro.
- Gustavsvik  is northern Europe's largest water funpark. It also has one of Sweden's finest campings and "adventure" miniature golf in its vicinity.
- The watertower Svampen (The Mushroom)  is a local landmark. It offers panoramic views of the city and hosts the water museum/workshop Aqua Nova.
- Örebro läns museum  has exhibits year round.
- Örebro Konsthall  displays different art exhibitions.
- The Swedish Chambermusic Orchestra resides in Konserthuset and holds concerts year round.
The city has its own university .
There are lots of shopping opportunities in the shopping malls Krämaren and Åhléns and on the streets Drottninggatan, Köpmangatan and Kungsgatan. Nothing that you can't buy everywhere else in Sweden though.
Bra & Begagnat (Standing on the major square, Järntorget, and looking directly west, on your right hand there is a brown building. Between the brown building and a Tex-Mex restaurant there is a small alley called "Gamla Gatan". Down the alley, 50 meters on your right.) Open Wed 2PM-6PM, Sat 10AM-2PM. A second-hand store with a small café serving homemade cakes, buns and cookies. All who work there (wearing yellow shirts) are volunteers, they are friendly and it's very cheap. All profits from the store are donated to charity.
- The Krämaren shopping mall has an Internet cafe at the top floor.
Most of the Cafés in the city offers free Wifi, just ask the staff for the password.
- Sallad Inn, Järnvägsgatan 10. No-nonsense place that serves pizza, salads and meat dishes and does it well. Mains 50-89 SEK.
- Rosali's Deli, Storgatan 5 and Drottninggatan 38, . Serves pasta, sublime pasta salads and submarine sandwiches. Mains 54-59 SEK.
- Asian Wok - Sushi bar, Köpmangatan 27. Mains 50-160 SEK.
- Saigon, City/Rubecksgatan 18, Rosta/Västra Vintergatan 9, Almby/Almbyplan . Serves Asian food to-go or to stay from three locations in Town. 55-120 SEK.
- Drängen, Oskarstorget 9, . Cozy concept restaurant with old farmer's tools on the walls, but the food has a more modern touch to it. Mains 95-208 SEK.
- B.A.C Restaurang, Engelbrektsgatan 3 (at Örebro läns museum), . Mains 120-160 SEK.
- Grekiska kolgrillsbaren, Klostergatan 17,  Greek restaurant serving souvlaki as their specialty. Big size servings! 100-220SEK
- a-mano, Kungsgatan 1/Stallbacken,  Food produced by local ecological producers and suppliers. A fusion of Scandinavian and Italian flavors educed cocking. Make sure to reserve a table in advance. 130-600SEK
- Ågatan 3, Ågatan 3,  Food produced by local producers and suppliers. Provides a very cozy atmosphere with highly skilled staff and chefs supporting you though your dining experience. Classic Swedish Cuisine done really well. 150-600SEK
Best days out are generally Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays.
- Frimis Nattklubb, Frimurareholmen, +46 19 14 05 00, .
- Klaras, Trädgårdsgatan 5, +46 19 18 78 00, .
- Satin, Stortoget 14, .
You can pick up the free Nollnitton magazine in various stores to read more about Örebro's nightlife. It is only available in Swedish though.
- Stallyktan, Södra Strandgatan 3, . A small pub with a good assortment of Beer and Ale, cozy atmosphere with horse stable theme.
All the "bigger chains" of pubs are represented in Örebro such as Harry´s, Bishops Arms, O´Learys and Pitchers. The O´Learys bar/pub/restaurant in Örebro is one of the biggest in Sweden. They can all be found near the Castle in the centre of the city.
- STF Vandrarhem Livin , Järnvägsgatan 22. Completely renewed youth hostel, look for the sign of the Ramada Hotel. Make sure you have a HIHostel card or you'll pay a 50SEK surcharge. Other than that, very good facilities and fantastic common kitchen. Dorm-Bed: 250 SEK.
- Örebro City Vandrarhem , Tunnelgatan 3. Nice, clean little Hostel. Free WLAN & Bicycles. Dorm-Bed: 170 SEK.
- Hotell Göta, Olaigatan 11, .
- Hotell Storgården, Fredsgatan 11, .
- Clarion Hotel Orebro, Kungsgatan 17, .
- Best Western City Hotel, Kungsgatan 24, .
- Hotell Örebro, Kungsgatan 2, .
- Elite Stora Hotellet, Drottninggatan 1, .
Örebro is not a dangerous town, although that is no excuse to leave your common sense at home.
- Nora - a historical city with many beautiful wooden buildings. It is an easy daytrip from Örebro with the help of public transportation. In the summer time, it is very pleasant to take a boat trip on Norasjön (Nora lake).
- Karlskoga - Alfred Nobel moved to this town after he moved back from his adventures on the European continent.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!