A Wikitravel Expedition is a special sub-project for Wikitravel articles or images. (Sure, we could just call it a "project", but what fun is that?) Expeditions help Wikitravellers collaborate and organize around certain subjects, be they based on shared interests, geography, or shared skills.
 Current Expeditions
 Language Expeditions
Expeditions to set up versions of Wikitravels in other languages.
 Other Expeditions
- Phrasebook Expedition -- Exploring the place of phrasebooks in Wikitravel and organizing their development
- Mapmaking Expedition -- Determining map file formats and mapmaking collaboration techniques, and discussing other issues for cartography in Wikitravel
- Offline Reader Expedition -- Seeking ways to download Wikitravel articles to a portable computer or PDA
- Fellow Traveller Expedition -- Coordinating and cooperating with other projects
- Cultural Expedition -- Exploring the role of culture in Wikitravel
- Education Expedition -- Using Wikitravel as a teaching and learning tool for students
- RDF Expedition -- Exploring uses of RDF for Wikitravel.
- Tourist Bureau Expedition -- Coordinating cooperation with tourism bureaus and convention and visitor bureaus.
 Completed Expeditions
- Romanian Wikitravel Expedition - completed, Romanian Wikitravel launched
- French Wikitravel Expedition - A Wikitravel in French, now open
- German Wikitravel Expedition - German version of Wikitravel launched
- Swedish Wikitravel Expedition - Swedish Wikitravel launched
- Japanese Wikitravel Expedition - ウィキトラベル日本語版が登場。
- Dutch Wikitravel Expedition -- voor een Nederlandstalige versie van Wikitravel! Online here.
- Portuguese Wikitravel Expedition -- Portuguese-language Wikitravel launched in January 2006.
- Spanish Wikitravel Expedition -- Spanish-language Wikitravel launched (January 2006).
- Polish Wikitravel Expedition -- launched March 2006
- Italian Wikitravel Expedition -- launched June 2006
- Finnish Wikitravel Expedition — because it's there, perkele!, February 22, 2007
- Catalan Wikitravel Expedition, launched February 22, 2007
- Hindi Wikitravel Expedition -- launched launched March 20, 2007
 Starting a new Expedition
If you have a good idea for a new Expedition, here are the steps necessary to organize it.
- Make sure that the Expedition complies with Wikitravel's goals. Will the Expedition help us reach our mission of creating a free, complete, up-to-date and reliable world-wide travel guide? Or is it a slippery slope into non-travel-oriented distraction?
- Propose the Expedition in the travellers' pub and get some feedback from other Wikitravellers.
- Create a page in the Wikitravel Shared namespace called "Name of expedition Expedition" (note capitalization). On that page, give a rationale for why the Expedition is needed, and define the concrete goals of the Expedition.
- If additional pages are needed for the Expedition -- for example, template pages -- link to them from the Expedition page.