Moved from en:Wikitravel:Bug reports by Evan
After editing the Sleep section's splurge subsection of Cologne article I was automatically taken to the Eat section's splurge subsection. I almost edited the eat section, even though I had been intending on editing the sleep section.
It didn't cause a great inconviencence for me, but it may for other users and I wanted to bring attention to this. Also, if you want to further understand what I'm talking about feel free to edit the any of the Sleep section's subsection in my fake article. - Andrew Haggard (Sapphire) 03:30, 11 June 2006 (EDT)
- The duplicate subsection title also affects the links on the Recent changes page. When it registers that an edit has been made to "splurge" subsection the recent changes page doesn't register if that edit was in the sleep section or the eat section. Therefore when someone clicks on the little link to the right on the recent changes page it will take them to the first section titled "Splurge", instead of the actual splurge section that had been edited. - Andrew Haggard (Sapphire) 03:37, 11 June 2006 (EDT)
- If you have two sections on a page with the same name attached to them (such as "Splurge") the web browser has no way of knowing which one you want to look at, so it takes you to the first one. Because this is an HTML/browser limitation, there may not be a practical solution to this. - Todd VerBeek 09:07, 11 June 2006 (EDT)
- Has it always done that? I think I remember a time when it would instead just refresh back to the last section you were editing. If it isn't a bug I'll add it to feature requests. - Andrew Haggard (Sapphire) 13:14, 11 June 2006 (EDT)
- Yeah, it's always been the case that if two sections have the same name the link goes to the first one - it's how web browsers are built. To fix that the section names would need to be unique, and the trade-off would be that we'd either need to rigorously police section names, or else the MediaWiki software would need to be updated in a way that would make the URLs ugly - URLs are currently of the form "Cologne#Splurge", but using the software to make that unique would turn it into something like (for example) "Cologne#41-Splurge". -- Ryan 13:54, 11 June 2006 (EDT)
- So what do I do with the above comments? Delete them or achive them somewhere else? - 126.96.36.199 13:58, 11 June 2006 (EDT)
- No that is not correct. Mediawiki handles repeated section names well - Cologne#Splurge 2 will take you to the correct section. — Ravikiran 14:16, 14 June 2006 (EDT)
When it happens
This stopped occurring for me a long time ago. It may still occur when there is a broken listing (usually missing a > or name> at the end), but that's a different issue. Closing. --Peter Talk 13:12, 22 June 2012 (EDT)
What should happen
How to fix it
Sign below, please
—Unsigned comment by Evan (talk • contribs) 2006-08-13T23:09:50.