Tech:Interwiki linking between Wikitravel and World66
Moved from en:Wikitravel:Feature requests by Evan
Since Wikitravel and World66 are starting to work together as partners, IWBNI we had a way to make an interwiki link between a Wikitravel article and its corresponding World66 article. This would make it easier to copy data from W66 to Wikitravel either manually or (later) automatically. The link would appear in the left nav area, like OpenDirectory or Wikipedia links.
- Yeah, this would be really nice. You are the admin, Evan, so I think you should make it work. Shouldn't be oo difficult ;-). --zeno 06:51, 19 June 2006 (EDT)
- I'd like to create a [[:en:World66:Batumi]] and have a link to World 66 under the "Other sites" bar. What do other's think? How would one go about creating that? -- Andrew Haggard (Sapphire) 11:06, 30 June 2006 (EDT)
- The problem is that W66 uses a hierarchical URL path, so Batumi is actually at http://www.world66.com/europe/georgia/batumi . So you'd probably have to do something like [[:en:World66:europe/georgia/batumi]]. I think it might be possible to just use the local page title for the link. --Evan 11:33, 30 June 2006 (EDT)
- How did we get the Dmoz link to work (It's the same thing right)? I'm scanning throught the WikiMedia site to understand the logistics. -- Andrew Haggard (Sapphire) 00:54, 1 July 2006 (EDT)
- More or less the same thing. It just takes a little time on my side tinkering with db and code. I'll try and get it cranking. --Evan 01:21, 1 July 2006 (EDT)
- OK, so, I've added this feature; [[:en:World66:path/to/destination]] will put the appropriate link in the "other sites" box. It should work on all language versions of Wikitravel, albeit only to the English version of W66 (since there is only one). See en:Batumi for an example.
- As a procedural note, this is the kind of feature I meant in the technical infrastructure policy when I said, Some features will be tested off-line and committed directly to the live servers; these will typically be for new tools (like docents, breadcrumb menus, or related pages) that the community can choose to use or not. I hope there's not a problem with that. --Evan 14:54, 1 July 2006 (EDT)