This expedition looks ready to go. I've unfortunately got poor network access right now, but I'll try to set this wiki up sometime tomorrow. --Evan 14:57, 18 March 2007 (EDT)
- Wow! This will be a world-record, and I'll be wikitravel's first go-between who's a kid (I'm 13). Anyway, what about the file, we need to translate that, the MediaWiki bit? Upamanyuwikitravelshared 07:36, 20 March 2007 (EDT)
- Naw, we can do that with database messages. We don't need that any more. --Evan 13:15, 20 March 2007 (EDT)
- Fraid I'm not quite sure but will do as you say. Thank you Eavan,you';re great. MUUUAAAAHHHHHH! Upamanyuwikitravelshared 06:41, 21 March 2007 (EDT)
So, Wikitravel hi: is now live, see http://wikitravel.org/hi/ . There are a few things that need to be done to get the site going:
- Upamanyu, please let me know as soon as you've created a user name, and I can set your user privileges to "admin".
- Upamanyu, it can also help to contact the people who've signed up for the expedition. They don't always know when the wiki has started.
- We need to do some customization of the interface. There's a page at hi:Special:Allmessages for doing this. It's not simple, but you can read more about the system at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_namespace .
- Someone needs to announce the new wiki on shared:, en:, and anywhere else. Typically this is the liaison who does this.
- We need to solicit some new users. Usually posting in the "Village Pump" (or equivalent page) on the Wikipedia for that language is a good idea; posting to other language community sites (like forums, blogs, or wikis) is also a great idea.
- We need to get the infrastructure for creating a new wiki going. That means translating (or making new versions of) the manual of style, community policies, help pages, etc.
It's a big step, but I'm excited to have a Hindi version available! --Evan 17:01, 20 March 2007 (EDT)
- OpenId doesn't work there? — Ravikiran r 02:41, 21 March 2007 (EDT)
- I checked, it looks like the page is there , but entering my log in URL does not work. Come to think of it, OpenId has not been working for my shared either. — Ravikiran r 02:44, 21 March 2007 (EDT)
Sure. Translation will be done as soon as I can. I was supposed to go to Calcutta but had to cancel my flight tickets due to the riots that are happening out there. Anyway, I hope to become a good go-between, an admin and will help wikitravel in whatever way I can. WooHoo! Upamanyuwikitravelshared 06:41, 21 March 2007 (EDT)