From Wikitravel Shared
Get-together : Eat-together 2008 Alexandria
Evan & I will be attending Wikimania 2008 in en:Alexandria, so given the success of last year's event in Taipei, we propose the second Wikitravel Eat-Together.
- Date: Wednesday July 16th; that is, the day before the conference starts
- Time: 8 PM
- Location: Athineos, 21 Saad Zaghloul Sq (on the Corniche, near the Italian Consulate), ☎ 03-4860421, . The "Mermaid of Alexandria" is a local legend frequented by both Durrell and Cavafy, but alas, it has fallen far since its glory days. The views are still amazing, and the Greek motifs in the gilded friezes and stenciled frescoes give some character, but the food is, despite the Greek names on the menu, almost entirely Arabized: order souvlaki and you'll get kebab. edit
- Plan: Dinner at Athineos, then probably either shisha (water pipe) or drinks nearby.
- Contact person: User:Jpatokal at +65-91859331
The theme is exploring old-school Alexandria. Not sure about the exact price level, maybe a local can help out? Here's a pretty scathing review from al-Ahram, but this is not the kind of place you go to for the food: Inside the Athineos, it is easy to imagine the golden age of Alexandria.
Advance notice recommended but not required, we'll probably make a reservation the day before and it would be nice to have some idea of the crowd.
I think the idea is great. But I think there are many restaurants doing kebab better than Athineos,like “ balbaa”, "abou shakra"&"abou fares". I live in Alexandria and I am willing to help my contact is +20101610675.
- This is not about eating kebab -- it's supposed to be a Greek restaurant. Jpatokal 14:52, 15 July 2008 (EDT)
- Yaron Koren
- Maybe Denny Vrandečić and Markus Krötzsch
That was a bit of a washout: I showed up at 8 PM, but as far as I can tell, nobody else did. Apparently the logistics of getting to and around Alex proved a bit too hard... Jpatokal 02:31, 17 July 2008 (EDT)