This page contains Wikitravel's policy regarding advertisements on our site. Discussion about advertising format and location is underway here.
All display advertisements are restricted to the right-aligned sidebar, which in turn is reserved exclusively for ads. All users who have created an account can toggle the sidebar on and off via Special:Preferences, just check "Do not show ad column" in the "Wikitravel" tab.
At the moment, there are only two types of ads on Wikitravel:
- Wikitravel Press (WTP), a company that publishes books using Wikitravel content. On articles included in WTP's books, a sidebar is displayed on the right side of the page with a small picture of the cover of the applicable book and a link to the WTP page where you can purchase the printed guide. We believe that the guides published by WTP are useful for Wikitravellers, and licensing revenue from purchased books goes to support the Wikitravel site.
- Context-sensitive text ads from Google Adwords. Found on all content pages within Wikitravel.
The maintenance and growth of Wikitravel as a free resource in part will depend on revenue from on-site advertising. To preserve a good user experience and maintain the reputation of Wikitravel as a source for high-quality information, Internet Brands and the Wikitravel community agree on the following principles:
- Editorial integrity of the guides is of utmost importance. Content and point-of-view of the guides will continue to be handled by community consensus according to agreed-upon principles. Advertisers will not dictate the tone or quantity of coverage of their own or other businesses.
- Advertising will be well-identified as such. It will be clear to readers that advertisements are not user-contributed content.
- Ads will be relevant to travel (though this may be dependent on the relevancy achieved through ad networks such as Google AdSense). Ads will likewise be filtered for appropriateness (no adult content, etc.)
- Ads will be unobtrusive. The placement and format of advertising won't interfere with reading or editing the guides. Examples of ad formats not to be used include pop-ups, ads which automatically open separate browser windows, and animated ads.
- Wikitravel user data will not be sold, and Internet Brands will continue to ensure the privacy of all users and contributors to Wikitravel.org.
- There is no consensus for display ads. Internet Brands has unilaterally placed them on this site in violation of our consensus policy.