Zhongwei (中卫; Zhōngwèi) is a city in Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region.
Zhongwei Railway Station is on North Street.
- Beijing - takes about 24 hours
- Guyuan - takes about 4 hours
- Lanzhou - takes about 6 hours
- Urumqi - takes about 20 hours
- Xian - takes about 13 hours
- Yinchuan - takes about 3 hours
Long Distance Bus Station is on East Street.
- Lanzhou - takes about 6-7 hours
- Yinchuan - takes about 2-3 hours
- Xian - takes about 12-14 hours
- Gaomiao Temple (高庙 Gāomiào) - originally built in the Ming dynasty during the early 1400s, this is one of the most unique temples in China, combining aspects of Buddhism, Confucianism and Taoism. There's also a room with 174 sculptures of religious images. What makes it really stand apart from other temples is the addition of an underground hell house, with gruesome scenes depicting torture in hell. Ticket: 20RMB. Address: directly in front of the train station.
- Great Wall Ruins (长城遗址 Chángchéng yízhǐ) - ruins of a Ming Dynasty Great Wall are located about 9 kilometers away from the Gaomiao Temple. There is also the remains of a fire beacon tower (烽火台) originally built in the Zhou dynasty (which eventually became a Great Wall beacon tower) a few kilometers away in the Tengger Desert Wetlands area.
- Tengger Desert Wetlands (腾格里沙漠湿地 Ténggélǐ shāmò shīdì) - a park combining areas of the desert and wetlands, popular with local families during summer. No entrance ticket charge during winter.
- Chairman Mao Statue (毛主席雕像 Máo zhǔxí diāoxiàng) - a statue of Chairman Mao within short walking distance of the Gaomiao Temple. In contrast to other Mao statues in China, his hands are behind his back instead of extending one hand outward.
- Drum Tower (鼓楼 Gǔlóu) - constructed in 1631, the drum tower is now in the center of a roundabout. It is within short walking distance of the Gaomiao Temple.
- Shapotou. 沙坡头, Resort situated between sand and water, Shapotou Desert Research Center. Tourist area combines Tenggeli desert, Yellow River, mountains and an oasis. Tickets ¥90 for park entrance, you then have to pay more if you want to do attractions. You can choose a lot of activities in the tourist area - ride a camel, drift down the Yellow river, etc..
- Changtan Village. Visit the working 18th century waterwheel at Changtan village then go whitewater rafting down the Yellow River to Shapatou.
There are a number of budget restaurants near Gaomiao Temple for you to choose from, some of which may look awful but serve reasonable food. Zhongwei is a Muslim city so pork is hard to find. Also, most people eat noodles instead of rice.
- Zhongying Hotel (Zhongying Jiudian), Guluo South Street, ☎ +86 953 7091518 (fax: +86 953 7091550).
- Yixing Hotel (Yixing Binguan), 2 Guluo North Street, ☎ +86 955 7017666 (fax: +86 955 7019993).
- Zhuoyue Hotel (Zhuoyue Dajiudian), Guluo East Road, ☎ +86 955 7037999 (fax: +86 955 7022628).
- Zhongwei Hotel (Zhongwei Dajiudian), 53 Guluo North Street, ☎ +86 955 7025555 (fax: +86 955 7028829).
- Tengger Desert - one and multi-day trips into the desert can be arranged.