Zagora (زكورة) is a town in southern Morocco.
There are direct buses from Marrakech (approx 8 hours). From Ouarzazate there are buses and also collective taxis (approx 2 hours once you have started, Dh 50-70 in January 2008).
The town is maybe 5 km long and 1 km wide at the widest point. There are numerous small taxis (Dh 3 per person if you share).
Jebel Zagora is said to be worth climbing. There are pleasant walks along the river and in the irrigated areas around.
18 km south, Tamegroute has a famous ancient library.
Famous is the sign showing road to Timbuctu, easy to find just few meters from the roundabout where the road splits left to Mhamid and right to the airport.
Auberge Restaurant Chez Ali (on the way to the river) is worth looking at for its remarkable garden.
Go on a camel trek; not necessarily to the dunes, which are hard on the legs.
But be warned: The dromedaries aren't very cushioned. Trips of more than 60minutes are a guaranty for some pain in the buttoks.
- Caravane de reve, M'Hamid Centre (oposite of the mosque,), ☎ +212 670020033, . Do you feel like exploring Chegaga? No problem, we pick you up in Zagora, or you make a little extra tour to M'Hamid! We are a family-run, friendly, experienced and licensed desert travel business providing work for local people. We offer different types of desert tours, like 4x4 excursions, walking tours, camel treks, bivouac camps and sandboarding - short and long duration. Apart from trips and stays in the local area and to erg Chegaga also bigger Morocco tours are on the board, all according to the budget and the clients requirements. Spoken languages are Arabic, English, French and Spanish. Cuisine and the experience of home visits for food & tea time are included. edit
- Caravane Rose du sable, (Etwa 2 Stunden südlich von Zagora, ~5km vor M'Hamid. Ein shared grande Taxi kostet etwa 30dh pro Person (Mit Umsteigen in Tagounite)), . A german-berber family is running this base with a few camps in the nearby sand dunes. They can handle up to 120 persons, if you conctact them in advance. Starting at 20 € per person and night in the desert.. edit
Good travellers budget advice: You could save some serious money (we payed some 400 dirham because we didn't knew better) avoiding the agencies with their more or less friendly agents, you will find on the street, always inviting you for a tee, if you just go to do the caravans directly.
Also, it is worth to check out at Caravane Mille Etoiles. They make tours with 4x4 and camel to deserts close to Zagora and M'Hamid. Price is good and there is discount for groups. Employees speak English and they are available for any information about tours or Zagora itself. It is possible to contact them in advance at +212 668 765 692 or on e-mail: email@example.com
Go for a hike on the Jebel Zagora end enjoy the view. Hiking up the Jebel Zagora takes about 2 hours in total (with breaks) and rewards you with the ruin of an old castle on the top and (far more impressive) a great view of the surrounding areas and the desert. The hike is quiet easy (you accent from about 730m to about 960m). A possible starting point is just outside the town when you leave Zagora on the N12 heading east. After about 2 km there is a dirt road on the righthand side. You can park at the begining of the dirt road and follow it by foot to the top of the mountain. On top there is a broadcasting station with a "do not enter" sign and a guard, but you can ask them to get through so that you can circle the top and enjoy the view in all directions.
Dates and spices in the market (Wednesday and Sunday).
There are plenty of small café/restaurants, as well as juice and milk shops along the main drag in town. Expect to pay between 80 and 100 MAD for a lunch for two people. Here are some sample prices:
-Salade marocaine (tomatoes, onions and peppers) 15 MAD
-Tajine kefta (meatball tajine) 40 MAD
-Mint tea 7-10 MAD
-Orange juice 6 - 10 MAD
For a nice dinner, go to one of the hotels just outside town in Amzrou. La Fibule du Draa and Kasbah Asmaa both have full service restaurants in the evening.
- Hotel Riad de Rêve (Riad de Rêve), Hay Mly Rachid № 353, 47900 ZAGORA, MOROCCO (Close to the police station), ☎ +(212) 677 191337 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Riad de Rêve is located within 5-minute walking distance from Zagora city centre, yet calm and peaceful, with a lovely patio and small garden. The place has a relaxed, homely atmosphere, cosy and clean room, with AC, WiFi and the meals are exquisite. The owner, Abdeslam, has worked several years in Switzerland and knows how to pamper Westerners. As a local he organise unique excursions to Sahara. 300-700 MAD / 30-70 € per double room. (30.33927,-5.83949) edit
- La Fibule du Draa, Amzrou, Zagora, ☎ 212 524 847318, . A cozy, kasbah-style hotel just outside Zagora in the Amzrou date palm oasis. Rooms offered with breakfast or half-board, prices starting around 500 MAD per night. Relaxing garden with pool area; serves alcohol. The hotel also organizes excursions to the desert (via camel or SUV,) overnight or just for the day. Prices starting around 400 MAD for overnight. edit
- Riad lamane (Riad lamane), Amezrou, Zagora, ☎ 00212 / 524 848 388, . edit
- Prends Ton Temps Camping, Amzrou, Zagora (About 10minutes walk from the busstation or 10DH taxi), ☎ 212524 84 65 43, . Really relaxing camping abit outside Zagora whit a nice garden and frendley staff. Good spot to meet Sahara guides aswell. 60DH/pp. edit
- Hotel des Amis. checkout: 11:45. starting at 50 Dh per person w/ shared shower. The rooms at the front have sunny balconys, which sadfully are directed at the noisy thoroughfahre Zagoras. In February 2014 all common showers in the hotel were broken, so you had to help yourself with small buckets of cold water. Plus factor: Big wash-bowls and sinks on the roof top, next to a sunny clothesline, that dries your clothes during only one day (thanks to to sahara wind).. edit
- Hotel .. Rose du Sable, (Located at the smaller one of the two streets in old Zagora.). checkout: 12:00. Big hostel, nice communal area, even with some western toilets. Don't expect dustfree rooms so close to the sahara ;-) Starting at 40dh per person. edit
- Riad Dar Zaouia, Hay Zaouit Elbaraka 45900- Zagora Maroc, ☎ +212 524846311, . Riad Dar Zouia is located a few minutes walk' from the town centre, offering affordable rooms and a cosy atmosphere in a traditional riad. A continental breakfast is included and double rooms are 300-500 MAD a night. The host Mustapha and his staff will befriend their guests and also offer delicious homecooked Morrocan meals and authentic trips out to the Sahara edit