Yonkers is in Westchester County and the fourth largest city in New York state. It is a suburb of New York City and directly borders the Bronx borough of New York City.
- Westchester County Airport, 240 Airport Road, White Plains (New York), +1 914 995-4860 (airlines), . The closest airport, about 35 minutes drive. Rental cars are available.
- Newark Liberty International Airport, Newark, New Jersey, , John F. Kennedy International Airport , and LaGuardia Airport : The three major international airports in the New York City area offer service to just about anywhere. Westchester-based taxi and livery cars offer regular service to and from the three internationals from most areas of the county. New York City yellow cabs will take to you Westchester in a pinch, but the fares can be exorbitant. Instead, ask if your hotel offers shuttle service.
- Metro-North Railroad - Hudson line, . Express service between Yonkers station and New York City's Grand Central Terminal is about 25 minutes. Local service is available between other Metro-North commuter stations. On-board train fares are subject to a stiff surcharge, so buy your tickets at the station ticket office or at the vending machines inside the station near the stairs to the platform. Taxis should be available at the arrival of all trains.
- Amtrak, 5 Buena Vista Av., . Certain trains stop at Metro-North's Yonkers station.
Westchester County operates a very extensive network of Bee Line buses in and around the Yonkers area. The Metro-North Hudson Line also has several stops within the city limits (Ludlow, Yonkers, Glenwood, and Greystone) and can be used for travel within the city.
- The Hudson River Museum, 511 Warburton Ave, +1 914 963-4550, . Exhibitions on regional history, Hudson Valley art, planetarium, the only public planetarium in Westchester County. It is the largest museum in Westchester County.
- Untermeyer Park, 945 North Broadway. Greek gardens, canals, reflecting pools and other created "ruins". Untermeyer Performing Arts Council  produces live performances in the park. The performances are admission free and are done through out the summer. Special Concerts are done throughout the year and are announced on their website
Philipse Manor Hall, a Colonial-era manor house which today serves as a museum and archive, offering many glimpses into life before the American Revolution.
- Saint Joseph's Seminary 201 Seminary Avenue Yonkers, New York 10704-1896 is the major seminary of the Archdiocese of New York. Its primary mission is to form men for the priesthood in the Catholic Church. It educates men destined to serve within the Archdiocese and other archdioceses and dioceses both in the United States and abroad.The Seminary has hosted Pope John Paul II in 1995 and Pope Benedict XVI on April 19, 2008. They both led an afternoon prayer service and visited with the seminarians.
- The Old Croton Aqueduct TrailWork began on the Croton Aqueduct in 1837 to tap the waters of the Croton watershed in Westchester County for the residents of New York City.It travels parallel to the Hudson Line of Metro North, so it is readily accessible from New York City by public transportation.n Yonkers, the hiker passes the lion gates at the lower end of the old Untermyer estate (see Untermyer Park on this website). Passing by Glenwood in Yonkers, one passes by the Hudson River Museum. In Glenwood urban conditions are encountered. The trail ends at Lamartine Avenue in Yonkers.
- Tibbetts Brook ParkMidland Avenue Yonkers, NY A multi-use park with some pockets of good habitat. Good birding except during summer when it's overrun with people. Tibbetts Brook Park a 161acre park with its mammoth 412’ x 125’ pool is one of the first parks developed by the County. The Park offers many recreational activities throughout the year and hosts ethnic celebrations, fairs and festivals during the summer months.
- Celebrities Famous celebrities born, raised or work(ed) in Yonkers are Lady Gaga, Mary J. Blige, David Berkowitz (Son of Sam), DMX, Ella Fitzgerald, Jadakiss, Steven Tyler (Aerosmith), Jon Voight
- Yonkers in the Media The film "Doubt" starring Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius Beauvier filmed scenes for this movie at St. Marks Lutheran Church's school. Yonkers is also the location for many major filming projects: Catch Me if You Can with Tom Hanks and Leonardo diCaprio; Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind with Jim Carey and Kate Winslet; Mona Lisa Smile with Julia Roberts; A Beautiful Mind with Russell Crowe, Big Daddy with Adam Sandler, The Preacher's Wife (a remake of "The Bishop's Wife) with Denzel Washington and Whitney Houston, Kate and Leopold with Meg Ryan and Hugh Jackman. Some episodes of the new TV series Fringe were taped in the downtown. The City Hall Courtroom is also the setting for many film and commercial scenes. Neil Simon wrote a play entitled Lost In Yonkers, set in the city. The story is about two young boys during World War Two, whose father leaves them with their grandmother in Yonkers so he can earn money for the family. Yonkers was shown on A Shot at Love 2 with Tila Tequila, as it was contestant Kristy's hometown.Aside from being a manufacturing center, Yonkers also played a key role in the development of entertainment in the United States. In 1888, Scottish immigrant John Reid founded the first golf course in the United States, St. Andrew's Golf Club, in Yonkers. On January 4, 1940, Yonkers resident Edwin Howard Armstrong transmitted the first FM radio broadcast (on station W2XCR) from the Yonkers home of C.R. Runyon, a co-experimenter. Yonkers also had the longest running pirate radio station, owned by Allan Weiner during the 1970s through the 1980s.In 1853, Elisha Otis invented the first safety elevator and the Otis Elevator Company, opened the first elevator factory in the world on the banks of the Hudson near what is now Vark Street.
Sprain Ridge Park, Jackson Ave, Yonkers, +1 914 231-3450, . Mountain biking -- Helmet required, trail map is available online. 278 acres of wooded terrain located in the southern end of the county offers trails for beginners as well as advanced.
Yonkers Raceway founded in 1899 as the Empire City Race Track, is a one-half-mile standardbred harness racing dirt track and a New York state-approved video-lottery terminal (VLT).
Empire City a harness racing track that has renovated its grounds and clubhouse and added legalized video slot machine gambling in 2006.
Ej Murray Memorial Skating Ice and Roller Skating Rink, 348 Tuckahoe Rd, Yonkers, +1 914 377-6469, Offers public skating, figure, ice, and roller skating lessons, ice hockey programs and leagues, speed, figure, and ice hockey clinics and camps. Most of these are offered to groups of all ages or offered in separate sessions for adults and youth. Also can be used for birthday parties. Skates can be rented. Snack bar and pro-shop are available.
- Clearview Cinemas, 2630 Central Park Ave., ☎ (914)-793-3406. Pricing: general admission is $11, seniors are $9, children are $8.25, and the matinee special is $9. For 3-D movies at $3.50 per ticket. Also, NOT completely handicap accessible. Call beforehand for more information on handicap accessibility. edit
- Homefield Bowl, 938 Saw Mill River Rd., ☎ (914)-969-5592. Located very close to all major highways. Open from 9AM-1AM Monday through Sunday and until 2AM on Saturdays. Offers work and birthday party packages as well as a bowling camp. Offers a snack bar, lounge, and pro-shop. Also, leagues, tournaments, and monthly, weekly, and daily specials. edit
LEGOLAND Discovery Center Westchester, 39 Fitzgerald Street, +1 866 243-0770,  Kids attraction located in the Ridge Hill Shopping Mall with a series of interactive LEGO themed features.
Cross County Center also known as Cross County Shopping Center is an open-air shopping mall located in Yonkers, New York, United States, including anchor stores Macy's, Old Navy and Sears. The mall is managed by Macerich. Cross County Shopping Center opened in 1954 as the first mall in Westchester County. The Cross County Shopping Center is undergoing a new development and upgrade, starting in 2008 and scheduled to be completed in 2012.
Central Park Avenue NY 100 Central Park Avenue runs for eight and a half miles from the City of Yonkers through Greenburgh to White Plains. A very big shopping avenue with stores including T.J. Maxx, Best Buy, Car Dealers, and many privately owned stores.
Ridge HillThe newest development in Yonkers consisting of a high end strip mall and condominiums. Projected completion date is 2010. 
- Nathan's Famous Hot Dogs2290 Central Park Ave. Yonkers, NY
- Bistro Chartreuse, 35 Main Street, . Bistro Chartreuse is a wonderful french-american bistro that takes its name from the liquor Chartreuse. They have developed a creative menu featuring the green chartreuse liquor in many dishes and drinks. Located within a 2-minute walk of the downtown Yonkers train station, the restaurant has gotten rave reviews from Manhattan chowhounds as well as local diners.
- Totonno's Yonkers, 125 Tuckahoe Rd., . Pizzeria and Restaurant branch of the first Pizza Parlor in America - Totonno's of Brooklyn, est. 1924.
- Stew Lenoardsis a small chain of supermarkets in Connecticut and New York that Ripley's Believe It or Not! has deemed "The World's Largest Dairy" and that Fortune Magazine has deemed one of the top "100 Best Companies to Work For".
- Zuppa Opened in March 2003, Zuppa was one of the first projects to spark the development of Yonkers’ Downtown Waterfront District.Zuppa is a white table-clothed Italian restaurant that you will remember forever. The cuisine of Zuppa is Italian, a refined collection of dishes that have inspire us during our growth with the emphasis of enjoyment, taste and pairings. 
- Andiamo Andiamo is a take out and catering portion of Zuppa Restaurant. They offer gourmet foods, panini, wraps, and full service catering for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Dom and Vinnie's Restaurant Dom & Vinnie's Restaurant
351 Saw Mill River Road
Yonkers, New York 10701. Since 1971, this second generation establishment serves award-winning pizza and Italian entrees in a family friendly, family run atmosphere. Dine in, take out and delivery are available as well as a private dining room that seats up to 40 patrons. Daily specials. such as momma's napolitano meatballs over rigatoni, chicken scarpriello, homemade cavatelli with broccoli rabe and veal chop Milanese, are changed twice a day (lunch and dinner) and posted on their website.
- La Lanterna Ristorante & Caffe La Lanterna Ristorante & Caffe
23 Gray Oaks Avenue Yonkers, New York(914)476-3060 
- Carlo's Restaurant, 688 Tuckahoe Rd, ☎ (914)793-1458. A staple in the area since 1976, the year opened. Serving lunch and dinner. Opens at 11a.m. on weekdays and 12p.m. on the weekends. Closes at 10:30p.m. Except on Sundays when close is 9p.m. Serves authentic Italian-American food at a reasonable price in a casual atmosphere. Catering is also offered. edit
- Raceway Diner, 833 Yonkers Avenue, ☎ (914)969-4343. Authentic American food served with fast and friendly service in a casual atmosphere. Serves breakfast, lunch, dinner, and desert 24-hours a day 7 days a week. Very reasonable prices. edit
- Pizza Beat, 2575 Central Park Avenue, ☎ (914)961-4456. Family owned. Serves a little bit of everything but with a specialty in Italian-American dishes. No matter how crowded service is fast and friendly. Reasonably priced. Casual atmosphere. edit
- Saw Mill Diner (Where friends meet), 337 Saw Mill River Road (SMPN to Lockwood then rt on SMRR, SMPS to Palmer then rt on SMRR), ☎ 914-476-2923. 6a-4p. Anything you'd expect from a Greek Diner. Family run, clean friendly atmosphere. cheap eats. edit
- Rory Dolan's Restaurant & Bar 
- Burke's BarBurke's was established in December of 2001 and has become to be known as Westchester's premier venue for the hottest new bands, great food and traditional Irish atmosphere. With 19 beers on tap, Burke's offers a unique environment for happy hours, family gatherings, alumni reunions or any other celebration. Burkes also hosts a huge private party room that can accommodate up to 75 people. 
- Hampton Inn & Suites, 160 Corporate Blvd, ☎ +1 914 377-1144. 150 rooms (39 suites). Located in the South Westchester Executive Park. 955 square feet of meeting space, indoor pool, fitness center, lobby bar, and business center. edit
- Royal Regency Hotel, 165 Tuckahoe Rd., Yonkers, NY 10710, +1 914 476-6200, .
- Ramada, 125 Tuckahoe Road, Yonkers, NY 10710, +1 914 476-3800", 
New York City is immediately to the south. Yankee Stadium is now accessible from the Metro-North Hudson Line.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!
wikipedia:Yonkers, New York