Yass is a town in New South Wales, Australia. The town lies at the heart of the Yass Valley, an area with many attractions for the visitor. Just a short drive off the Hume Highway and 45 minutes out of Canberra, Yass and the nearby village of Bowning offer visitors a chance to experience everything from world-class arts and award-winning cool climate wines to a night in a 1840s Georgian hotel, The Globe Inn. Once touted as a possible site for the nation’s capital and with a long history as the centre of fine wool production, there is plenty to discover in the Yass area.
Yass is a country town in NSW. It is primarily a service town to the surrounding communities, but also highlights its attractions to tourists, as do many other rural towns. It has a range of accommodation and good facilities.
It used to be a service stop on the Hume Highway between Sydney and Melbourne, but has now been bypassed by the freeway, and other services are located closer to the freeway.
- Yass Valley Shire Council 
- Tourism in Yass Valley Shire 
- Yass Community Portal 
Yass is 3 hours drive from Sydney and 6 hours drive from Melbourne on the Hume Highway. Yass is approximately a 40-50 minute drive from Canberra, the national capital.
Because of an historical curiosity, the train service from Sydney to Melbourne does not pass through Yass. It was linked by a spur line that has long since closed. Accordingly, you will need to be picked up or get a taxi from Yass Junction to Yass.
Train services run from Sydney and Melbourne to Yass Junction and are provided by Countrylink  (tel 13 22 32). Trains run run twice a day in both directions. It is approximately 4 hours from Sydney by train ($45 economy) and 7.5 hours from Melbourne ($90 economy).
Bus services are provided by:
- Countrylink from Cootamundra and, in the other direction, from Queanbeyan (the service passes through Canberra but does not pick up passengers).
- Transborder Express  (tel 02 6241 0033) from Canberra (see timetable ).
- Greyhound  (tel 13 14 99 within Australia or 07 4690 9950 internationally) from Canberra, Melbourne and Sydney.
- Fearnes  (tel 1800 029918 free call within Australia or 02 6921 2316) from Canberra.
- Cooma Cottage , Yass Valley Way; open Th-Mo 10am-4pm (closed from the 2nd Monday in June, reopening the 1st Monday in August); admission adults $4.40, concessions/seniors $2.20, family $11, group booking prices on application, gift shop, parking, spacious picnic grounds, wedding and venue hire, tel 02 6226 1470, fax 02 6226 3024, email mailto:email@example.com - about 5 mins out of Yass town centre, and conserved by the National Trust since 1970, this single-storied colonial cottage was built by pioneering pastoralist Cornelius O'Brien in 1835. Between 1839-1873 Cooma was home to one of colonial Australia's great overland explorers, Hamilton Hume (whose name was given to nearby highway), who added his version of Palladian-style wings and a Greek Revival portico. Set in a pastoral landscape the house represents an unusual mix of building techniques and styles and includes a fine, mid-19th century stables outbuilding. A museum to the life and accomplishments of Hamilton Hume is to be found at the house.
- Crisp Galleries, "Gap Range", Hume Highway, Yass Valley (west of Yass past the Cowra and Harden turn offs). ph 02 6227 6073.  The Crisp Galleries are a permanent exhibit of the glassware works of Peter Crisp.
- Country Stuff. It's not exactly the most thrilling town in the world, but its great for photographers and historians!
- Liberty Cafe. 171 Comur St.
- Corona Grove Bed & Breakfast, 28 Mount Street. tel 02 6226 4920.
- Hamilton Hume Motor Inn, 9 Laidlaw Street. tel 1800 020 559 (free call, Australia only) or 02 6226 1722. email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hi-Way Motor Inn, Hume Highway. tel 02 6226 1300.
- Kerrowgair Bed & Breakfast, 24 Grampian Street. tel 02 6226 4932.
- Sundowner Motor Inn, Cnr Laidlaw & Castor Streets. tel 02 6226 9900. 
- Thunderbird Motel, 264 Comur Street. tel 02 6226 1158.
- The Globe Inn, 70 Rossi Street Yass NSW 2582, ☎ 02 6226 3680 (email@example.com), . edit It was love at first sight when Annette Walters saw the 1847 building
know as The Globe Inn in the heart of historic Yass. A B&B in country NSW is a long way from the hectic days Annette spent as an Operational Nurse Manager in a major Sydney hospital but it’s a change she welcomed with open arms. This charming Georgian hotel has a colourful past and is full of old world charisma with five stately en-suite bedrooms for guests. Dinner can be prepared or local produce can be provided for you to cook on the barbecues on the beautiful verandah overlooking the historic courthouse and distant hills.
Continue south along the Hume Highway to Gundagai and the Victorian border. Continue north along the Hume Highway to Sydney, or divert via the Barton/Federal Highways through Canberra.