Yaroslavl (Ярославль, ) is the capital city of Yaroslavl Oblast in Russia and a point on Golden Ring itinerary.
With a population of 600,000 people, Yaroslavl is the second-largest city in Central Russia after Moscow. Its 1000-year history and location in the middle of Golden Ring make Yaroslavl a good point for a day or weekend trip from Moscow.
Train timetables and fares can be found on the RZD website.
Yaroslavl is 266km from Moscow and 13 trains per day make the 3-4 hour journey (RUB500-900) from Yaroslavsky Railway station in Moscow. These trains include the Trans Siberian Railway trains, departing from Moscow.
An overnight train makes the 12-hour journey from Saint Petersburg daily. Tickets cost from RUB750.
From other points
Journey by elektrichka needs connection in Alexandrov.
Daily trains include other destinations of Arkhangelsk, Ivanovo, Vorkuta, Cherepovets, and Tolyatti.
There are buses from Moscow Central bus station near Schyolkovskaya metro station at 8.30, 12.15, 14.15, 17.30, 23.15 daily. The journey takes 5 hours.
Taking the opportunity of no traffic jams from Moscow, if any, drive on Yaroslavskoye shosse aka M-8 'Kholmogory' and visit beautiful destinations en-route: Sergiev Posad, Pereslavl Zalessky, Rostov Veliky. The road takes 4 hours or more, depending on traffic near [[Moscow].
Tunoshna Airport (Аэропорт Туношна)), (IATA: IAR), ++7 4852 43-18-00, is 18km southeast of the city centre. There are regular flights to Saint Petersburg and Arkhangelsk and there are seasonal flights to Sochi.
Saint John the Baptist Church
By public transport
Rides on public transport, which operate during the day and late at night and include buses, marshrutkas, and trolleybuses, costs RUB16-25.
The most useful trolleybus is trolleybus #1, which starts at the train station, and goes all the way down Svobody, through Volkovo to Yaroslavl Red Square.
- The historical center of the city is located at the river confluence which is also a UNESCO World Heritage site. Architecture is mostly Classicism era of Catherine the Great.
- Yaroslavl Architectural Historical and Art Museum Preserve, Bogojavlenskaja pl. 25, ☎ +7 485 230-40-72, . Comprises six churches and three museums edit
- Museum of the Yaroslavl City History, Volzhskaya Naberezhnaya d17. edit
- Museum of Fine Arts, Volzhskaya Naberezhnaya 23, . RUB450. edit
- Private Museum: Music and Time, Volzhskaya Naberezhnaya d33A. Established by John Mostoslavsky, a circus magician. The museum possesses a curious collection of bells, samovars, irons, phonographs and musical instruments. edit
- Church of Ilya the Prophet
- Alexander Nevskiy Chapel
- Transfiguration Cathedral
- St. John the Baptist Church
- Vvedenskiy Tolga Convent
- St. Elijah The Prophet Church
- Kazansky Monastery
- Temple of the Lord Presentation
- Monument to the Bear
- Monument to Afonya And Plasterer Kolya
- Monument of Yaroslav the Wise
- Monument Celebrating 1000 Years of Yaroslavl
- Monument to Copeck of 1612
- Cruise over Volga.
- Tours of Smaller Golden Ring (Uglich-Myshkin-Tutayev-Rybinsk) that takes 3 days and even smaller excursions to neighboring towns.
- Be a guest of Baba-Yaga on her birthday, 26 June.
Festivals and events
- Jazz over Volga (Джаз над Волгой), the international festival of jazz taking place every odd year since 1979 in March.
Go along Deputatskaya st. and you'll find several curious shops of traditional cloths (6/1), amulets (15) and stone (15/43).
Kiosks at the museums and rooms of souvenirs inside them are another opportunity to give a look and buy something.
The best place to eat out is the Volga promenade but there is a bunch of curious restaurants:
- Paulaner restaurant (Баварский ресторан Paulaner), Pavlika Morozova str. 3A (City center), ☎ +7(4852) 77-00-88 (email@example.com, fax: +7(4852) 77-00-89), . 07.00-24.00. This Yaroslavl restaurant’s menu features hearty Bavarian options accompanied with a wide variety of beers. Dining hours are extensive and convenient for guests of varying travel itineraries. The restaurant frequently features live music and other entertainment programmes, perfect for birthdays, corporate gatherings and other festive events. edit
- Ioann Vasilyevich (Иоанн Васильевич), 34 Revolutsionnaya st, ☎ +7(4852) 91-47-07, . Ancient Russian cuisine. edit
Bavarian restaurant Paulaner
For a dark, smoky atmosphere, you could do worse than Bar Beer, which is on the main street, just off Ploshad Volkovo, heading towards the monastery. Be warned though, they ONLY sell beer. If you're looking for anything other than beer, you would be better off heading to Ars Café (yes, it was funny the first few times I heard it as well), which is located inside a theatre next to the Bear's Corner hotel. There are three main sections to Ars Café, an upstairs, with comfortable sofas, which is often busy, a downstairs section, with dance floor and a big long table for larger groups, and a back room, which you have to pay to get into, but is very comfortable, and is primarily supposed to be used to smoke Kalyan (Shisha). Across the road from Ars Café is Tarzan, a higher end establishment, which is a restaurant by day. Dark inside, with a jungle theme. Relatively recently, the new bar "Silver" opened on Ulitsa Svobody, near the Ulitsa Pobedy junction. Pleasant inside, with a very silver theme. They also serve food. Bristol, on Kirova, is nice, but pricey. As you walk past, be sure to listen out for the George Michael blaring from the speakers on the outside of the building.
Aktor, a studenty bar a few years ago, has now become a seedy, unpleasant place, and Cocktail Bar, next door, threaten to serve you "Cancer" (a mis-translation of Crab), but that's the least of your worries - bad vodka, appalling service, and a joke of a toilet means it's better avoided.
- The center of German language , email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
His mansion in Yaroslavl Oblast is a museum 15 km off the city.
- Tourist (Турист), 2 Lenina st (from railway station by trolleybus #3 to the stop ''Hotel Tourist''), ☎ +7(4852)72-86-16. Close to the Volga promenade. from 900RUB for single, 1400RUB for double. edit
- Parus (Парус), 4 Volzhskaya naberezhnaya (Volga Promenade), ☎ +7 (4852) 30-41-92. For those who can rough it double from 800RUB, single 1100RUB. edit
- Good Luck Hostel, 11 prospekt Oktyabrya, ☎ +7 (920) 65-11-999 (email@example.com), . checkin: 1 PM; checkout: 12 AM. The very first hostel in Yaroslavl. At the moment the hostel is very hard to find, since it has no signs outside. Choose the door, where there is also a turist agency, and press number 2. 10/8/4 bed dorm - 450/500/550 RUB per bed. edit
- Hotel Kotorosl (Которосль), 87 B. Oktyabrskaya st (City center), ☎ +7 4852 212415 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +7 4852 216468), . edit
- Hotel Yubileynaya (Юбилейная), 26 Kotoroslnaya Naberezhnaya (City center), ☎ +7(4852) 30 92 59 (email@example.com), . Located 5 min from a monastery at the entrance to old town it has 210 rooms with the Internet access, ATM and souvenir shop in the lobby. edit
- Volga Pearl (Волжская жемчужина), Central Volga Promenade, ☎ +7 (4852) 73-12-73, 72-77-17 (firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com, fax: +7 (4852) 72-65-30), . Hotel on water 700m from the city center with 38 rooms, WiFi. 2500RUB for a single room, 4200RUB for a double up to 7600 for penthouse. edit
- Zvezdniy mini-hotel (Звездный мини-отель), 37 Pobedy st, ☎ +7(4852) 58-58-84 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +7(4852) 58-58-84), . The hotel in the city center with 18 rooms ranging from economy to splurge. Romantic room. from 2800RUB for single room to 5000 for double. edit
- Park Inn by Radisson Yroslavl, Pavlika Morozova str. 3A (City center), ☎ +7(4852) 77-00-88 (info.yaroslavl@rezidorparkinn, fax: +7(4852) 77-00-89), . checkin: 15.00; checkout: 12.00. The hotel features 167 vibrant, contemporary rooms with modern amenities like Free Wireless High-speed Internet access, on-site dining at the authentic Bavarian restaurant Paulaner and secure outdoor parking. This Yaroslavl hotel is also an excellent venue for arranging a conference or celebrating any special occasion up to 250 guests. edit
- Ring Premier Hotel, 55 Svodody st (City center), ☎ +7(4852) 58-08-58, 58-09-58 (email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +7(4852) 58-09-62), . A Western-style four-star six-floor hotel in the city center with a restaurant, a pub Dublin and fitness facilities. Additional rooms for disabled persons. Free wi-fi. edit
Free wi-fi locations abound
- McDonald's at 119, Leningradsky prospekt and 115, Moskovsky prospekt.
- Kinomaks at 123, Leningradsky prospekt.
- Mojo Coctail Club at 9, Svobody st.
- Yubileynaya hotel.
- Le Petit Cafe at 4 Volzhskaya naberezhnaya (riverside).
- Shaiba (sport-bar) at 135, Moskovsky prospekt.
- Rodina at 7a, Respublikanskaya st.
and many more but they may be pay wi-fi points.
- Tour agency of Yubileynaya Hotel may organize an excursion around the city and a monastery as well as an hour cruise over Volga river.
- Volga Tour engaged in all sorts of Golden Ring tours in English, German and French.
- A variety of tours on the Golden Ring and around the Oblast by YaroblTour, a rather large company having over 40 offices.
Take an elektrichka to Rostov Veliky or Alexandrov.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!