Basilica of Our Lady of Peace
Yamoussoukro is perhaps the single most bizzare modern city on Earth. It is a large grid of paved streets and lights with almost nothing at all in between them. It would seem that former President Felix Houphouet-Boigny's dream that his home town would become a busy capital city never came to fruition. Nevertheless "Yam" is worth a visit.
Every UOB bus from Abijan to Bouake or Man stopps in Yamoussoukro. You can expect at least every hour a connection to Abijan.
The public gardens, the Fondation Felix Houphouet-Boigny and the old Presidential Palace are all impressive public expenditures from Houphouet-Boigny's rule.
- Basilica of Our Lady of Peace - The largest Christian church in the world is the most remarkable legacy of Houphouet-Boigny. Although it doesn't seat nearly as many worshippers, it is structurally larger than St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican City (after which it was modeled), with a greater surface area and higher dome. As a condition of his attendance at the basilica's consecration, Pope John Paul II insisted that a hospital be built nearby, and he laid the cornerstone for it during his visit; the hospital has now been built.
- Fondation Felix Huphey Boigne - In the 70ies, FHB has built this vast conference building dedicated to peace in Africa. You can get a very interesting tour for 1500 FCFA. Find a security guard that can make the tour with you at the reception (follow the road left of the building around the main building until you see the "Entree" sign. The building is home to a 2000 seats conference/Theatre hall and many smaller conferece halls from 50 to 400 seats. THe building is made with italian marble and other stones.
- Chez Georges Hollywood. The Chez Georges Hollywood is probably the best address in town for an affordable and good meal if you do not want to go to the markets.
- Hotel President.
- Hotel Villa des Hautes, ☎ +225 05093038. located in walking distance from the Hotel President, this simple hotel offers a few rooms from 17k FCFA. The restaurant is very simple, so you might decided to eat elsewhere.
- Hotel Parlamentaire, ☎ +22530646800. The Parlamentaire offers a large number of European standard rooms. The hotel is a bit pricy and located slightly out of the city.
- Residence Peerah, ☎ +22530647588. The residence Peerah has a few rooms in the city and is a nice option if you have seen enough of the large 70ties hotel and ressorts.