Yame(八女) is a city in Fukuoka prefecture.
Yame is one of Japan's largest tea production areas. Yame tea (八女茶) is famous for its quality. Historically people traveled from across the globe to buy it. The people are incredibly friendly to travelers. Although Yame is off the track for most tourists. While many tourists go to nearby Yanagawa, Yame offers several things to see and do. The city has recently restored many of the traditional buildings in the town center (next to the city hall).
Yame can be accessed from JR Line at Hainuzuka Station. From Hainuzuka station walk 50 meters to the Horkawa Bus Stop and take a local bus to the different parts of the city. Travel Time: It takes 40 minutes from Hakata station in Fukuoka City to Hainuzuka station. In addition the local bus takes roughly 20 more minutes. So total travel time is about 1 hour. Travel Cost: It is 940 yen from Hakata station to Hainuzuka station. The local bus travels approximately 20 kilometers into Yame and Kurogi. Taking it all the way to the end would be approximately 800 yen.
- Fukushima district:Yame is famous for Machiya (traditional town house) in Fukushima is godown-structure and Edo who had the merchant family-like color and the craftsman-like color and about 130 buildings of the traditional style of the Meiji, the Taisho and the Showa beginnings range in old coming and going roadside.
When the tons of the craftsman's work of traditional handcraft resonates and pauses in a street corner quietly in the quiet air, satisfied time passes. Dear tea houses, fermented soybean paste shops, Japanese confection shops, family Buddhist altar stores, paper lantern stores, daily grocery stores, homemade boiled fish paste stores and seed stores, etc. equal this route before, and a daily life is being carried on and is flooding charm in streets of everyday clothes. accessible by local bus from JR Hainuzuka station, there is a tourist office near there.
- Yame great tea farm:very scenic great tea farm spreading north east of central Yame forming a grave production base of farm management scale expansion and Yame tea break, 65 hectares of tea plantation and 20 hectares of fruit farm develop 100 hectares of forest, and are made.
the tea plantation which represents Yame area by gentle inclination by an improvement Yamanari method of construction is spread in the northeast of Yame city and this area, and as far as it's looked around, a green carpet seems to have been spread.Accessible by a car more than Yame IC, 25 minutes
- Kurogi wisteria festival::The town called Kurogi where located 20 minutes driving east from central Yame has Large Wisteria Tree Festival takes place between mid-April and early May, adjusted to coincide with the blooming of the giant wisteria tree located on the Susano Shrine grounds. The tree is said to be 620 years old, and with the total area of its scaffolding structure at 3,000 square meters (32,290 square feet) and its longest flower clusters measuring in at 150 centimeters (60 inches), the tree looks truly spectacular when it blooms!
The giant wisteria was deemed a Government-Designated Protected Species in 1928. Because this wisteria tree and another at Miyazaki Jingu Shrine (Miyazaki Prefecture) are the only ones designated by the government in all of Kyushu, the rarity boosts its value, attracting many people from far away to the festival.
During the festival, stalls line the grounds of the shrine, and a sake brewery in the town is open to the public for tours. Visitors are sure to enjoy the whole day!
- Reiganji Temple: The temple in Yame was started by a monk that traveled from China with tea seeds before which there was no tea plants in Japan. It used to be the ending site of a pilgrimage many people made. You can walk up the path to the top of a rock that looks out across
- Big Dick Rock: This rock can be found next to the above temple.
- Iwadoyama Tumulus: as the result of gorgeous history, you can find so many tumulus in Yame, Iwadoyama Tumulus is one of the biggest and accessible one from city center.
- 800(?) Year old tree: Yame is home to a giant Cinnamomum Genus (Camphor) tree.
- Museums: the most of Museum in Yame is free. get information at tourist desk.
Yame Green Tea Plantation
- Yame Tea: tea in Japan is gorgeous and has long history, for many years the most expensive part of green tea called "gyokuro(玉露)" is nominated to be the best one by the ministry of agriculture, in addition in the center of town within the restored section(Fukushima district) there is a historical tea shop that sells many local teas. You can tour their building seeing areas for tea tasting and lodging built to accommodate people that traveled across the globe to buy famous Yame tea many decades ago.
- Traditional crafts: one of the main industry in Yame is Traditional crafts, paper, Japan wax, paper lantern, Buddhist altar. thanks to long history for many hundreds years crafts man keeping their tradition. and still many artist are inhabitant here.