Woodstock is a town in Ulster County, New York.
This is arguably the most famous small town in the world, associated with the festival that was originally supposed to be here, but was actually held 65 miles away. It has been a center for the arts for a full century, and even the police cars have a logo that says "Colony of the Arts."
Woodstock, at an altitude of 520 feet, sits among the Catskill mountains, and is a picturesque village without a single traffic light, whose shops largely cater to tourists and spread out only along a few blocks. Weekends and especially summer weekends find it crowded with visitors, while hippy-types play drums continuously in the village green. Actual year round residents number only 5,000 -- and this includes outlying hamlets that comprise the woodstock township, such as Lake Hill and Willow, all of which are beautifully unpolluted and tranquil.
Via Automobile from the South:
NYS Thruway Exit 19 (Kingston), State Route 28 West, State Route 375 North, State Route 212 West leads to the green at the center of Woodstock.
Via automobile from the North:
NYS Thruway Exit 20 (Saugerties), State Route 212 West leads to the green at the center of Woodstock.
Frequent daily buses North from New York City and South from Oneonta.
Amtrak to Rhinecliffe in Dutchcess County and taxi from there.
Amtrak or MetroNorth to Poughkeepsie and taxi from there.
Go anywhere, anytime.
- River Rock Health Spa, 62 Ricks Road (Between Route 212 & Glasco Turnpike), ☎ 845-679-7800, . Sun, Mon, Thurs, Fri, Sat. River Rock Health Spa in Woodstock NY is a health and beauty spa devoted to natural wellness. The spa practitioners are all licensed by New York State. Founded in 2002, the current owner has operated the spa since 2004. The luxurious facility uses state-of-the-art skin care equipment and has eight treatment rooms, a relaxation lounge, a small conference room/dining area, private steam and sauna units. The property is in a lovely country setting with mountain views, ample private parking and wheelchair accessibility. Individuals and groups are able to schedule services and events year-round. The spa features Aveda and Eminence Organic Skin Care products. Details: www.riverrock.biz. Email: B. Moley, Owner/CEO at email@example.com. Gift Certificates available online at www.riverrock.biz edit
- MountainView Studio, 20 Mountainview Avenue, Woodstock NY, ☎ 845-679-0901, . 7AM-11PM. Ongoing classes, workshops and events. Self-improvement, art, music, party rentals, etc. $5 and up. edit
- Joshua's, 51 Tinker Street, ☎ 845-679-5533. (Middle Eastern) edit
- Garden Cafe on the Green, 6 Old Forge Road, ☎ 845-679-3600. (Vegetarian) edit
- Landau Grill, 17 Mill Hill Road, ☎ 845-679-8937. edit
- The Bear Cafe, 295 Tinker Street, Bearsville, ☎ 845-679-5555. (approx 1 mile West of Woodstock) edit
- The Little Bear, 295 Tinker Street, Bearsville, ☎ 845-679-8899. (Chinese)(approx 1 mile West of Woodstock) edit
- New World Home Cooking, 1411, NY Route 212, Saugerties, ☎ 845-246-0900. (approx 4 miles East of Woodsotck) edit
- Red Onion Restauranst, 1654 NY Route 212, Saugerties, NY, ☎ 845-679-1223. (approx 3 miles East of Woodsotck) edit
- The Woodstock Inn, 48 Tannery Brook Road, ☎ 845-679-8211, . A serene location at the foot of the Catskills steps to dining, shopping and galleries in Woodstock, NY. Comfy rooms and fantastic breakfasts surrounded by beautiful grounds and the cascading millstream. $129-$245. edit