Woods Hole, seen from across Eel Pond
The village of Woods Hole is in Falmouth, on Cape Cod in Massachusetts. Woods Hole has a great natural harbor and was once a fishing and whaling center but now is known for its beautiful beaches, sport fishing, quaint shops, (no chain stores here), & marine research facilities.
- Peter Pan Bus Lines, Toll free: +1 800-343-9999 or +1 888-751-8800, . Service between Bourne, Falmouth, Barnstable and Hyannis with connections from beyond.
- WHOOSH Trolley, . Local summer service around Falmouth.
- Cape Cod Regional Transit Authority,  Woods Hole/Falmouth to Hyannis, and other services around the Cape.
- Steamship Authority Ferries, 65 South St, +1 508-477-8600, . Year Round ferry service to and from Martha's Vineyard is offered by the Steamship Authority, including car transport.
- Woods Hole is a wonderful place to walk around, everything is within 2 blocks. The Shining Sea bikeway begins at the end of Railroad Ave, right next to the Steamship Terminal & the Leeside Restaurant.
It's a great way to get to Woods Hole from downtown Falmouth, about 4 miles, mostly along the ocean.
The Shining Sea Bikeway on the way to Woods Hole
- Woods Hole Science Aquarium, (508) 495-2001, . Open in summer Tu-Sa 11AM-4PM, school year M-F 11AM-4PM. Closed for federal holidays. The aquarium has an outdoor seal pool (feedings are at 11AM and 4PM most weekdays), tanks filled with fish and lots of information about local marine life. Upstairs are touch tanks with horseshoe crabs, starfish, whelks and other animals. Free admission.
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) Visitor Center, . Limited parking. Take the WHOOSH trolley.
- Marine Biological Labortories (MBL) Visitor Center,  Water St.
- Woods Hole Historical Museum, 579 Woods Hole Road, (508) 548-7270, . Mid June through mid Oct, Tu-Sa 10AM-4PM.
- Nobska Lighthouse, Nobska Rd. About a 10 minute walk from the village, the lighthouse overlooks Vineyard Sound and the Elizabeth Islands, as well as Woods Hole itself.
- Spohr Gardens Oyster Pond Rd. This beautiful ambling garden overlooks the Shining Sea Bikeway and Oyster Pond. A short bike or car ride from the village itself. A collection of old millstones & ship's anchors ranging from large to huge, decorate the pathways along the pond. Nice place for a walk or pic nic.
- Wood Hole Theater Company, 68 Water Street - Community Hall, Woods Hole, (508) 540-6525 (General Information), (508) 540-6525 (Box Office).
- Falmouth Road Race, Originally a "pub crawl" now an annual event bringing some 10,000 runners to Woods Hole for the start of the 7 mile course. Also an important qualifying race for the professional running circut. Usually held the last week in August.
- Cape Cod Marathon, Part of this annual marathon winds it's way through Woods Hole the third week in October
- Woods Hole Film Festival, Third week in August, 10 days of films, etc.
- Get the Net Charters , 23 Nobska Road, (804) 347 2353. May-Oct.
- WCAI, 90.1 FM, Located right in Woods Hole, the voice of Public Radio for the Cape & Islands
- WMVY, 92.7 FM, Located on Martha's Vineyard, one of only a handful of independent radio stations in the country, and one of the only ones to have good reception in Woods Hole.
The Woods Hole Post Office & shops on Water St.
There are many small shops & galleries in the village, many featuring local artists, all within a 5 minute walk. There is an ATM at the bank, at the top of Water St., right next to the U.S. Post Office and Pie in the Sky.
- Landfall, 2 Luscombe Av., Phone: +1 508-548-1758, . The Landfall is a superb restaurant for gourmet seafood and meat entrees. The fifty year old restaurant sits on a pier near the Woods Hole, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket Steamship Authority dock, overlooking the tiny private ferry for Naushon Island, the home of the Forbes family. This restaurant is worth catching a later ferry for, and only a hundred yards from the steamships. Convenient to the Woods Hole Oceanographic's shop and exhibit hall two blocks away on School Street.
- Captain Kidd Waterfront Tavern, 77 Water St., +1 508-548-9206. Year round lunch and dinner daily. A favorite for fresh seafood.
- Fishmonger's Cafe, 56 Water St., +1 508-540-5376. Year round breakfast, lunch and dinner. Great view which includes entertaining drawbridge. The favorite lunch and meeting spot of out-of-towners and locals. Fresh fish specialties, natural food focus, vegetarian dishes. Great casual choice.
- Shuckers, 91-A Water St., +1 508-540-3850. Lunch and dinner daily. Fun, casual bar atmosphere. Raw bar. Outdoor seating.
- Pie in the Sky Bakery & Internet Cafe, 10 Water St., +1 508-540-5475.. Year round breakfast, lunch and dinner 5AM to 9PM (at least). Great for long hours, friendly service, and made from scratch breads, pastries, soups, salads, sandwiches and organic coffees,cappuchino,espresso,cocoa,chai,teas,& cold drinks. Very convenient from the ferry terminal.
There is only one liquor store in the village:Old Barn Package Store, 21 Luscombe Ave., 508 548 4855
- Quicks Hole (wicked fresh lobster tacos), 6 Luscombe Ave (across from the ferry), ☎ 508-495-0798, . 11 am - 10 pm. Great seafood taco joint in the heart of Woods Hole -- amazing local salads, lobster tacos, lobster rolls and homemade soups. Great local bands Friday and Saturday 4 - 7 pm in summer. $$. edit
- 41-70 (formerly Phusion Grille), 71 Water St., 508-457-3100, .
- The Lee Side Bar and Grill, 5 Luscombe Ave., 508-548-9744.
- Landfall, 2 Luscombe Av., Phone: +1 508-548-1758, . Live music on most Friday and Sunday nights in the summer time, 21+
- Pie in the Sky Bakery & Internet Cafe, 10 Water St., +1 508-540-5475.. Open Mic night every Monday night in the summertime, all ages welcome.
Open Mic night at Pie in the Sky
- Captain Kidd Waterfront Tavern, 77 Water St., +1 508-548-9206. Open Mic night every Wednesday night in the winter, 21+
Many private homes are rented by the week, month, and/or season. WHOI and MBL both maintain links on their websites listing local rental options
- Sleepy Hollow Motor Inn, Woods Hole Rd.
- Woods Hole Inn, Water St.
- Sands of Time,Woods Hole Rd.
- Woods Hole Passage Bed & Breakfast, Woods Hole Rd.
- Woods Hole Inn, 28 Water St, ☎ 508-495-0248, . checkin: 11; checkout: 3. Luxury lodging right in the middle of Woods Hole across from the ferry terminal. Water views from some rooms, free WiFi, breakfast included, free parking, lovely modern decor. $$$. edit
Move on to other areas of Cape Cod or the Islands.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!