Wikitravel:User preferences help
The Preferences page is a confusing mishmash of options. Fortunately, except in seriously pathological circumstances, testing these options shouldn't cause you any great harm. Once you've set the options you like, clicking the Save Preferences button will save your preferences. None of your preferences take effect until you hit the Save button.
The Reset Preferences button will fill the fields on the page with the original values, in case you start messing around with them and forget what you actually had before.
Here's a brief description of each of the preferences on the Preferences page:
 User profile
- Your nickname. For signatures in discussion pages and elsewhere, a short nickname can be helpful. If you leave this blank, your full user name will be used in signatures.
- Change Password. Change your user password. You have to enter your old password once, and your new password twice. Again, your password remains unchanged until you hit the Save button.
- Remember my login on this computer. Whether or not to keep your authentication credentials around between sessions. This is useful if you use Wikitravel from your personal computer; if you use it from an Internet cafe or other public computer, keep this unset.
- Enable e-mail from other users. If set it will turn on the E-mail this user link on your user page (currently disabled by Internet Brands who host Wikitravel). Wikitravel:Administrators may, under extreme circumstances, still contact you through email.
- Image size limit: is especially useful if you have a slow or expensive internet connection to set an upper limit to the size of images.
- Thumbnail size: currently defaults to a rather tiny 180px - so you may want to increase this from the picklist if you don't have a tiny screen or a slow or expensive internet connection. Unfortunately the size of images downloaded and displayed will still override this preference if their size is set explicitly in the Wikitravel image markup on the article's page (see our [[ip|image policy for further details).
 Advanced options
- Link underlining: Show hyperlinks in Wikitravel articles with underlining - a good option to switch on if just the blue colour is not a sufficient clue
- Threshold for stub link formatting (bytes): When this is set, links to articles shorter than this number of characters appear in a different colour.
- Show table of contents (for pages with more than 3 headings)
- Disable browser page caching. If you are having problems with pages seeing old cached versions of pages, changing this option will have no effect at all, as this is due to a unresolved bug.
- Show hidden categories
- Enable "jump to" accessibility links
- Justify paragraphs. If set, paragraphs in Wikitravel articles will be formatted to avoid jagged line endings. If unset, the paragraphs will be formatted as-is.
- Auto-number headings. If set, this option adds outline numbers to all the headings in an article.
 Date and Time
- Date format. Defines how you want to see calendar dates formatted.
- Time offset. Determines what time offset to use when displaying edit times in the Page history page, and in some other places, but not all. Use the Fill in from browser button to set this, unless your browser doesn't know what time it is where you are.
- Textbox dimensions. Defines the height and width of the editing text box shown when you edit a page. Leave this at the defaults unless you have a really screwy browser.
- Enable section editing via  links. When this is set, each heading in an article will mark off a section that can be edited individually. This can be nice for editing long articles, but makes pages a little busier.
- Enable section editing by right clicking on section titles
- Edit pages on double click. This option allows you to edit a Wikitravel article by double-clicking on the article rather than clicking on the Edit this page link. It can be useful if you do a lot of skimming and editing; it can be a hassle if you're used to using double-click for text selection and copy-and-paste.
- Edit box has full width. If set, the text area for editing pages will fill your browser window.
- Show preview on first edit
- Show preview before edit box. After clicking the Show Preview button on the editing page, the article text will be shown before the text area containing the Wiki markup, not after it. A matter of preference.
- Mark all edits minor by default. Defines whether or not to set the This is a minor edit checkbox on the editing page by default, you can change this before you save the edit.
 Recent Changes
- Days to show in recent changes
- Number of titles in recent changes. When using Recent Changes, this many article titles will be shown. Usually 50-100 is a good default.
- Hide minor edits in recent changes. If set, changes that the contributor has marked as "minor" won't show up in the Recent Changes page or elsewhere.
- Days to show in watchlist - set the maximum number
- Expand watchlist to show all applicable changes
- Hide my edits from the watchlist.
- Add pages you create/edit/move to your watchlist. If this is set, by default the Watch this article checkbox on the page you change will be set. You can uncheck it on case-by-case basis.
- Search in these namespaces by default. Which namespaces to search in by default. Searching just the (Main) namespace is sufficient if you are after travel information. If you are editing and contributing to policy discussions, you will probably want to add some other namespaces as well.
- Lines to show per hit. How many lines of text to show on full-text search results. Leave this at the default value unless you're really concerned with Search functionality.
- Hits to show per page. Determines how many article titles are shown when you use the Search functionality. Leave this at the default value unless you're really concerned with Search functionality.
- Characters of context per line. When showing full-text search results, how many characters to show in the line. Leave this at the default value unless you're really concerned with Search functionality.
- Do not show page content below diffs
- Omit diff after performing a rollback
- Do not show ad column. Check the box to turn the paid advertising on the right hand side of the screen off.