Wikitravel:Images in articles
Wikitravel guides can be greatly enhanced by using images at appropriate places in articles. This article is meant to guide editors towards placing images in such a way that the article is enhanced by informative and nice-looking images and not overwhelmed by them.
These guidelines are just that — guidelines. Remember that they are still being developed by editors like you based on their experiences. Break these guidelines sooner than do anything barbarous, but try to update the guidelines to take care of the situation.
 Images on the right
Images should usually be placed to the right of the article using a thumbnail image.
Some other formatting possibilities are:
- Simple interpolation of images into text
- [[Image:filename of image|description of image]]
- Centered image
- [[Image:filename of image|center|description of image]]
- Left-aligned image
- [[Image:filename of image|left|description of image]]
- Right-aligned image
- [[Image:filename of image|right|description of image]]
Providing a description of the image is useful for low-resolution computers, where the image may not be rendered, and for accessibility to Wikitravellers with visual impairment.
Please use thumbnails unless you have a good reason not to. The standard recipe for a thumbnail is as follows:
- [[Image:filename of image|thumb|description of image]]
This will produce a right-aligned thumbnail with a description below; the image will expand to full size if clicked on. For example, the thumbnail on the right uses Image:Saddleback Pier.JPG from Shared, and it's created like this:
- [[Image:Saddleback Pier.JPG|thumb|Sample thumbnail]]
If you want to specify an exact image size (width) which is not the same as the original, selecting a factor of the original may result in a clearer scaled image. For example, if the original is 800 pixels wide, 400 (1:2), 267 (1:3) or 200 (1:4) will scale nicely; for 640, try 320 (1:2) or 160 (1:4). This is particularly important for images containing small text, such as maps.
You do not need to specify the height of the image, as the size will automatically scale to match the width you have entered.
- Exact image width in pixels
- [[Image:filename of image|sizepx|description of image]]
- Exact thumbnail width in pixels
- [[Image:filename of image|thumb|sizepx|description of image]]
You must add the letters "px" after the image size. Recommended maximum sizes are:
- 250px for normal image thumbnails
- 400px for the article's lead picture
- 500px for maps containing small detail
 Image selection
Images should only be uploaded to http://wikitravel.org/shared Wikitravel Shared and you will need to create a separate account there (preferably with the same user name) in order to do that. Our software will automatically check both the Shared and the local image repositories. If the same filename exists on both the local site and the Shared site, the local image has precedence.
 See also
|This article is an outline and needs more content. It has a template, but there is not enough information present. Please plunge forward and help it grow!|