A Wikitravel Expedition is a special sub-project for Wikitravel articles or images. (Sure, we could just call it a "project", but what fun is that?) Expeditions help Wikitravellers collaborate and organize around certain subjects, be they based on shared interests, geography, or shared skills.
 Current Expeditions
 Language Expeditions
 Other Expeditions
- Access Expedition -- exploring how to enhance the information in Wikitravel for disabled and physically impaired Wikitravellers
- Business listings reliability Expedition—Searching ways to make Wikitravel listings more reliable.
- Climate Expedition -- Figuring out how to present useful climate information in Wikitravel articles.
- Country surgeon Expedition -- Creating well crafted "See sections" for all country articles.
- Education Expedition -- Using Wikitravel as a teaching and learning tool for students
- Fellow traveller Expedition -- Coordinating and cooperating with other projects
- Mapmaking Expedition -- Determining map file formats and mapmaking collaboration techniques, and discussing other issues for cartography in Wikitravel
- News Expedition—Promoting the creation of high-quality news for the Main Page.
- Offline reader Expedition -- Seeking ways to download Wikitravel articles to a portable computer or PDA
- Phrasebook Expedition -- Exploring the place of phrasebooks in Wikitravel and organizing their development
- RDF Expedition -- Exploring uses of RDF for Wikitravel.
- Regions map Expedition -- Promoting the use and creation of regions maps, especially where they are needed most.
- Tourist bureau Expedition -- Coordinating cooperation with tourism bureaus and convention and visitor bureaus.
- World Heritage Expedition -- Updating and completing the UNESCO World Heritage Site list.
 Geographic Expeditions
- Maryland Expedition -- Dedicated to improving Maryland, the first state article to achieve guide status, beyond guide status.
- Florida Expedition -- Dedicated to making Florida the first state article to achieve guide status.
- Poland Expedition -- Dedicated to achieving guide status for Poland.
 Starting a new Expedition
If you have a good idea for a new Expedition, here are the steps necessary to organize it.
- Make sure that the Expedition complies with Wikitravel's goals. Will the Expedition help us reach our mission of creating a free, complete, up-to-date and reliable world-wide travel guide? Or is it a slippery slope into non-travel-oriented distraction?
- Propose the Expedition in the travellers' pub and get some feedback from other Wikitravellers.
- Create a page in the Wikitravel namespace called "Name of expedition Expedition" (note capitalization). On that page, give a rationale for why the Expedition is needed, and define the concrete goals of the Expedition.
- If additional pages are needed for the Expedition -- for example, template pages -- link to them from the Expedition page.
 Inactive Expeditions
The following are previously proposed expeditions that have been deemed not useful or have failed to gain support:
- Cultural expedition - There is already a place within articles for information about local culture, do's and don'ts, etc.