A Wikitravel Expedition is a special sub-project for Wikitravel articles or images. (Sure, we could just call it a "project", but what fun is that?) Expeditions help Wikitravellers collaborate and organize around certain subjects, be they based on shared interests, geography, or shared skills.
Language Expeditions to set up versions of Wikitravel in other languages are coordinated on Wikitravel Shared.
Starting a new Expedition
If you have a good idea for a new Expedition, here are the steps necessary to organize it.
- Make sure that the Expedition complies with Wikitravel's goals. Will the Expedition help us reach our mission of creating a free, complete, up-to-date and reliable world-wide travel guide? Or is it a slippery slope into non-travel-oriented distraction?
- Propose the Expedition in the travellers' pub and get some feedback from other Wikitravellers.
- Create a page in the Wikitravel namespace called "Name of expedition Expedition" (note capitalization). On that page, give a rationale for why the Expedition is needed, and define the concrete goals of the Expedition.
- If additional pages are needed for the Expedition -- for example, template pages -- link to them from the Expedition page.
The following are previously proposed expeditions that have been deemed not useful or have failed to gain support:
- Cultural expedition - There is already a place within articles for information about local culture, do's and don'ts, etc.