The Collaborations of the Month are an opportunity to highlight specific Wikitravel articles that need improvement in some way. While anyone can edit any article at any time, this provides a way to highlight specific articles allowing many contributors to help improve them together.
Three destinations from different continents are designated each month, with each continent featured bi-monthly in the format Month A: North America, Africa, Asia; Month B: South America, Europe, Australia/Island Nations.
While you could nominate any article, a successful collaboration of the month must be more than just an article you would like to see improved. In particular, it's a bad idea to nominate articles that lack enough content—most collaborators won't have intimate knowledge of the destination, although they can do style edits and fill in some of the blanks with very basic research.
Nominations most likely to be collaborative successes are those that have clearly defined areas for improvement, are of interest to a wide range of people, and that are already pretty well developed. Particularly good choices for nomination are articles that could quickly become options for the Destination of the Month, or Off the Beaten Path featured articles.
Leave a list of bullet points detailing exactly what you hope would come of a Collaboration.
Move the nomination entry for the article to the article's talk page. Strike goals (using <strike></strike> tags) that were accomplished.
- More images
- A map
- More listing(s)
- Complete listings
- Much more in the do
Keep smiling, edmontonenthusiast [ee] .T.A.L.K. 13:09, 17 November 2008 (EST).
- Azores Has an amazing wealth of really interesting information, but it's one big mess, and an interesting European destination for a change (see above) :-)
- Needs grammar & spelling overhaul, and be whipped into standard MoS
- Lacks Eat & Sleep entries
- Lacks Pictures
- Needs a map
- Needs Climate info
Sertmann 09:03, 5 September 2008 (EDT)Sertmann
- Santiago de Chile - Tarr3n 08:40, 5 September 2008 (EDT)
- Some pictures would be nice, or even a map?
- Some of the ditricts are a bit sparse, those that do have info could do with a bit of MOS work.
- No Get Out section. This is the capital so you would expect many travellers to spend a few days here and move on, perhaps for that great climbing that gets a brief mention?
- Contact - are there any internet cafes?
- Cope - embassies/consulates? Laundry?
- There's a decent amount to See, but not an awful lot to Do.
To do lists
See Wikitravel:Previous collaborations
You can nominate an article you would like to see as a Collaboration of the month. Please follow the following guidelines.
- The nominated article should have an article status of usable. The idea is that a usable article is more likely to have sufficient stuff for people to whip into shape. Many articles listed in Articles needing attention fall in this category.
- You should mention at least five (5) ways in which to improve the article. This requirement will provide a roadmap for the effort and act as a barrier to nominating something that can be easily fixed. Some things you could suggest:
- manual of style cleanup;
- missing maps or photographs;
- needs to be split into districts; (if there's already a consensus on how to split)
- some major attractions that are missing; or
- some sections which need more entries.
- The destination should be interesting in some way. A destination that needs to get ready for an upcoming event will get preference. Other things that might make it interesting include:
- it is popular with tourists;
- it is earth shatteringly beautiful;
- it is in a region with comparatively poor Wikitravel coverage (eg Africa); or
- it is in a region from which there have been comparatively few Previous Destinations of the month.
- Where possible, provide links to some reliable third party sites for researchers to use (such as the official local tourism site).
- If an article meets the criteria above, add it to the "Upcoming" queue. There is no need for a discussion to select an article. Displace another article only if your nominee has to get into shape for something that can't wait. In that case, move everything in the queue down by one place. If it does not meet the other two criteria, feel free to simply replace the article.
- Don't let the "Upcoming" queue have more than four articles.
- Do not displace the current article after the week has started.
Please sign all nominations with your name (wiki markup: ~~~~)
- After Cape Town, probably the most popular tourist destination in South Africa. It is a great candidate for CotM as it will be among the cities used for the 2010 world cup. Currently "usable", but has lots of info and just needs cleaning up and a little more info to become a "guide" and hopefully a DotM by the time of the World Cup. AHeneen 04:32, 4 December 2008 (EST)
- While Somalia as a whole is "most emphatically NOT a tourist destination", Somaliland is reasonably safe and a world apart from the anarchy found in the rest of the country. A look at the Wikipedia articles for Somaliland and its capital Hargeisa really amazed me as my opinion of the whole of Somalia was as depicted in Black Hawk Down. Somaliland has a slowly developing tourism industry and a new airport and even a shopping mall (as in a building, not a bazaar). "Hargeisa is also a safe city with very little crime which has boosted street trading. One will find along the main streets of the city centre numerous bureau de change with stacks of local and foreign currencies in the open and not locked away. One will also find female second hand gold traders selling their gold on the streets out in the open without fear of theft. Organised crime is virtually unheard of." (Hargeisa WP article). AHeneen 22:09, 11 December 2008 (EST)
- Kish Island
- Needs a general overhaul... rewrite touty prose, MoS, clear up old copyvio issues? – cacahuate talk 02:15, 18 October 2007 (EDT)
- A famous tourist destination with the Taj Mahal and two other World Heritage sites.
- Article has a lot of information and some good text, but needs a workover.
- Eat listings are a mess, dozens of entries with little classification or detail. Pashley 02:56, 29 December 2007 (EST)
- Phuket. Once quite a good article, now inundated with spam and massive (but legit) info dump from the Tourism Authority of Thailand.
- Needs to be properly retemplated.
- Hotels, sights etc need to be shuffled into the correct beach articles.
- Advertising puffery needs to be nuked.
Jpatokal 11:59, 7 October 2008 (EDT)
- Prepere information
- Detailed descrp.
- More in "UNDERSTAND"
Probably wouldn't help much as it's not somethin Im familiar with-just saw and looked like it needed help. TAKERS?
Keep smiling, edmontonenthusiast [ee] .T.A.L.K. 18:22, 17 November 2008 (EST).
- Yeah. That one, Along the Yellow river, and Along the Grand Canal are all mostly my writing. I've gone about as far as I know enough to do; they could all use other contributions. Perhaps especially the Yangtze one since it's best known; the Three Gorges trip is one of China's major tourist draws. Or perhaps especially the canal article, since it is currently really poor. Pashley 23:38, 28 December 2008 (EST)
- Needs split in districts and greater Manila area
- MoS and partly unreadable
- Update on beach areas as Subic for the get out section
Lot's of information in lots of pieces. A destination that is less traveled by entry point for the whole Phillipines jan 15:34, 15 December 2008 (EST)
- More images
- A map
- More listing(s)
- Complete listings
- Much more in the do
Keep smiling, edmontonenthusiast [ee] .T.A.L.K. 13:09, 17 November 2008 (EST).
- Klagenfurt -- -- Tim (writeme!) 14:54, 1 July 2007 (EDT)
- One of 8 host cities for Euro 2008 in June/July 2008 - need to get into tip top shape by then. (The keen eyed amongst you might notice a pattern coming!)
- Needs photos, map.
- The whole thing needs converting to listings (which will smooth out any MoS issues, of which there are a few.)
- Needs more sleep, eat and drink listings.
- The get around section needs developing.
- Barcelona -- Tim (writeme!) 15:52, 2 July 2007 (EDT)
- Plenty of info, that needs to be converted to listings
- Needs info to be put into correct districts
- See/Do need addresses, phone numbers, directions
- Eat/Drink needs contact details
- Needs a street map and a metro map.
- Needs photos of a few more of the larger attractions (Sagrada Famillia, Placa Real etc) - shouldn't be too hard to come by if we don't have any in Shared
- Needs climate info (and the new temperature template!)
- Cope needs more info, see Time Out is not good enough!
- Need information of the best way to reach the destinations in get out
- Contact needs more information about internet cafes, big post offices etc
- A good candidate for COTM as it's a city that many Wikitravellers will have visited. However at the moment the Districts are still under discussion - we should wait until that issue has been resolved before scheduling it. Tarr3n 04:22, 3 September 2008 (EDT)
- I suggest Copenhagen has Collaboration of Month for February 2009. let's try to get another showcase article like San Fransisco, Chicago etc. under the belt of the wikitravel community. I'm confident that by this time I will have finished getting all the districts up to guide level status (it's also always nice to have a target to work against). And this means that we can get the targets very specific, and have something to work on that doesn't require too specific knowledge about the destination. Also the advance date February would mean that you guys have a little time to schedule your time here.
- It may be my management experience running away with me here, but I've tried to name some people of which I would really like some help from below. If I'm too much of a management dork please just shout at me on my talk page. Don't take the names as a hint you can't contribute to this/any area as well, this is exactly what I want you to do - these are just specific people that I know have expertise to help, anyone's help would be greatly appreciated.
- District maps - help is needed making imports from Openstreetmap.org of the districts, as I don't have a Linux machine running. I can do the rest of the job myself, but getting editable SVG maps would be a real help. (Mark, could you lend your expertise? I'll sort you out on the specific area's i need imports from)
- Lead article - I need help building the main article, as I've noticed this is definitively not one of my strong points (much better with specifics), I'll be around most days to answer any questions for anyone who doesn't know the city may have, just leave a message on my talk page or at sertmann AT gmail DOT com (Peter, you visited here, and I'd like to borrow some of the magic you showcased on Chicago)
- Proofreading/editing - I'm not a native speaker, and especially in my written English, I make stupid mistakes and occasional "Danglish" entries, so the districts could use some proofreading and editing. again, I'll be around answer any questions. (Marina, I could use a portion of your super tight editing skills, and Morph - a dose of your eye for spelling).
- Identify any missing entries - Anyone who is familiar with city, please comb through the article and districts and identify any missing entries, and just add them (i'll try to fill out anything missing from any entries, so even just the name of a place would be fine) or leave a message at the city/district talk page. (Hr. Elgaard, her ville du være en stor hjælp).
- Identify needs for clarification/push for star - In the last week of the month (Week 9), I'd like people to read through the articles and identify anything/any entries that needs to be extended/clarified for someone who doesn't know anything about the city beforehand, and anything you would comment as objections to a Star nomination/Destination of the Month, so I have a chance to address these points, before nomination.
- I'd like a comment on whether they'd be willing to help with the particular task, I've asked for help for.
- - Sertmann 17:33, 6 November 2008 (EST)
- Though I didn't get a dandy little message in my talk like some others (i'm just teasin') I really do think this deserves it! Oh and by the way, Sert', your link in the people's talk is linking to a different page-not this! Anyways, I have seen the work that Sertmann has put itno this project and we've talked about it on occasion and I think he deserves the load of work off slightly and getting more people to work on it. I sometimes try myself to get in a little info, but I have little knowledge of the city and can't. Sorry, I really support! Keep smiling, ee talk 18:00, 6 November 2008 (EST).
- To add, I'll try and do my best to help some more with the if it becomes COTM. Keepssmiling, ee talk 19:35, 6 November 2008 (EST).
- Grateful to be included and happy to help! As well as editing, I'd like to beef up and rewrite some sections, especially the Eat/Drink/Sleep listings and provide some colourful, well researched reviews to this article. Looking forward to this. --MarinaK 19:33, 6 November 2008 (EST)MarinaK.
- I'd be happy to see Copenhagen as a CotM, but lets please discuss these procedural questions on the talk page. As of now, we do not use a nominations process for the CotMs, and any change to the continental format will first need to be discussed to hammer out a new consensus. Discussions should not take place on the policy pages themselves --Peter Talk 12:39, 9 November 2008 (EST)
- Whoops, could've sworn that this was done by nomination - my bad... Sertmann 18:11, 10 November 2008 (EST)
- This article is about a leading destination, yet it's just an outline. Plunge forward!
- Population 6500, according to the article, and I've never heard of it. I'd say forget unless people who know the area chime in. Pashley 04:05, 10 November 2008 (EST)
- Low population, but it's kind of like a mini-Las Vegas for midwesterners. Ptudor 21:55, 23 January 2009 (EST)
- Yeah, population isn't Branson's claim to fame. LtPowers 23:04, 23 January 2009 (EST)
- I believe Calgary deserves collaboration of the month for March 2009 because there is a lack of participation in it and there is a lot of work needed. To put into particular:
- Maps - Calgary should have a Downtown map ( I could probably provide details) and a highway map. In addition, a LRT map, Univesity map would be nice.
- Get some good listings
- Pictures - there is a severe lack of photos in Calgary. We need people who go to Calgary take some pics and upload them . If you have some already, even if its from 2005, please if you think it's something worth it, please upload. We need more pictures and more people uploading them.
- District - I want this bad boy rollin onto districting - which means looking on websites and their reviews and see which restaurants or accomodation seems fitting.
Also, let me know if you'd help out. Thank-you! Have a good day. Keep smiling, ee talk 21:54, 7 November 2008 (EST).
- Well, I've been working hard on this one for a while, but I'd like to see some more participation on it. I would like to nominate it for Collaboration of the month for January 2009. Basically, pick a month perferred for Edmonton and one for Calgary. I was thinking Jan Edmonton and Mar Calgary, but it's up to YOU!!! Basically my aim of this is to have Edmonton a star article and DotM. So, can we do it? Some of the stuff I'd like to see:
- See if anyone can find more info on Southeast and East Central districts.
- Complete incomplete entries
- Add more to the "Cope" section on the main article.
- Maps will be needed for the LRT system, Central (Perry may be working on it)
Old Strathcona (South Central), the University of Alberta, Oliver (Central), and perhaps parts of the West End.
- Add more volume to the "eat" section on the main article.
- Make sure ALL errors in typing is gone.
- If anyone has any pictures, please discuss them in the talk page(s) and see what people think of them. It's nice without just my images. Suburban, International Airport, and Mill Creek pics would be greatly appreciated.
- Better reviews for stuff in Southwest district.
- Make all districts guide
- All in all, just anything thought that could be improved.
- Lemme know if you want to help. Now, can we make a SUCCESSFUL cotm-Yes! What do you say? KEEP SMILING, ee talk 19:39, 8 November 2008 (EST).
- Later I'd rather not see two close-together Canadian destinations in a row, especially two that have already been receiving so much attention of late. Texugo 23:18, 8 November 2008 (EST)
- Good point, but Calgary hasn't got much attention. If you;d pick one, which one? Keep smiling, ee talk 23:23, 8 November 2008 (EST).
- It also needs some stuff moved down to districts. Pashley 04:05, 10 November 2008 (EST)
- I'd like to know who'd help! Texugo, Pash, who? Keep smiling, edmontonenthusiast [ee] .t.a.l.k. 12:56, 17 November 2008 (EST).
- Needs to have info in the empty sections
- More information
Keep smiling, edmontonenthusiast [ee] .T.A.L.K. 18:17, 17 November 2008 (EST).
- Needs a map
- Needs to create all districts that aint created 9and get them to useable0
- More images
- Climate info, Architecture info, Auto industry info-in understahnd [three major parts to Detroit]
- Moving of information to Districts
KEEP SMILING, edmontonenthusiast [ee] .T.A.L.K. 19:20, 17 November 2008 (EST).
- Complete info
- More listings
keep smiling, edmontonenthusiast [ee] .T.A.L.K. 19:21, 17 November 2008 (EST).
There is loads of great content in this huge city compilation, and (unlike most half-finished huge city articles) has an excellent district structure, but the districting job was left only half done. A CotM might be able to get the articles into DotM shape. Additionally, Wikitravel's Latin America coverage is pretty shoddy (especially outside Brazil), so it would be good to make this a flagship of sorts. Since the content is mostly there, it would be an ideal CotM—one for which contributors could mos one subsection of an article on any given day.
- Finish moving listings to districts — there aren't actually that many to do, and some basic google maps reference should allow anyone to do five or so per day in about 15 minutes
- Listingify all the listings — another task that anyone can do in small quantities spread out over the month. There are a ton of listings that need this, but doing so will make it more obvious which fields are missing.
- Fill in basic details for listings (addresses, addresses, addresses) — another simple task when done in small doses by many contributors, but difficult for one person to tackle throughout so many articles
- Replace moved listings from the main article with prose — here's the difficult part; I'll volunteer to do the heavy lifting
- Scour flickr for more photos — another basic task made much easier when many people each do a small amount of work. Just take a glance over articles for interesting things, then search flickr for them.
--Peter Talk 14:54, 18 December 2008 (EST)
- Seems interesting to me, approve, I would try and help out a bit. edmontonenthusiast [ee] .T.A.L.K. 17:36, 18 December 2008 (EST).
- Loads of unstructured informations
- No districts
Very interesting city close to Macchu Picchu with a lot of options for travellers.jan 17:07, 15 December 2008 (EST)
Updating the Collaboration of the Month
To update the current Collaboration of the Month you should:
- Remove the current collaboration from this page and move the next one up.
- Move the current collaboration to the previous collaborations page.
- Remove the Cotw template from the current Collaboration of the Month pages and add the pcotm template to their talk pages.
- Add the Cotw template to the next collaboration article.
- Update the Template:Current collaboration with the current COTW.
- Clear the cache for the Wikitravel:Project page by clicking here
- Clear the cache for the Main Page by clicking here
- Schedule some new Collaborations, there should be about 4 months worth upcoming in the queue