The West Rand  is the western part of the Gauteng province of South Africa.
The Cradle of Humankind is undoubtedly one of the must see destinations of Gauteng. It is an UNESCO World Heritage Site where a large number of human ancestry fossil finds have been made.
The West Rand is set to become home to the deepest mine in the world. Tautona (near Carltonville) currently operating at 3.6km is expected to reach 3.9km by mid 2008; thereby surpassing the 3.7km record currently held by the Savuka mine in the North West Province.
Visit a goldmine
- Kromdraai Gold Mine, Ibis Ridge Farm (12 km north of Krugersdorp), ☎ +27 11 957-0211. edit
- Blaauwbank Historic Gold Mine, Station Road, Magaliesburg, ☎ +27 82 567-3111 (email@example.com, fax: +27 14 577-1080). edit
- Johannesburg Skydiving Club, Carltonville outside Johannesburg, ☎ +27 82-928-2455 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Mostly use a Pilatus Porter (PC 6) edit
- Magaliesburg Gliding Club, ☎ +27 83 649-9918 (email@example.com), . Based just outside Krugersdorp on the west rand. edit
- Tarlton International Raceway, (Follow the R24 from Krugersdorp towards Magaliesburg. Tarlton is about halfway between the two towns), ☎ +27 11 762-5431, . Gates generally open at 8AM on race days. Home to spectacular drag racing. See their website for upcoming events. Price depends on event, but is usually around R60 per person. edit