Wilanów  is a district of Warsaw. It has the lowest population density among all Warsaw districts, but this is going to change soon with the construction of new high-rise buildings in the areas adjacent to Ursynów. The original name of the settlement was Milanów, but it was renamed by the King Jan III Sobieski inspired by a French descriptive phrase Villa Nova. Wilanów is further divided into Kępa Zawadowska, Zawady, Miasteczko Wilanów and Powsinek.
Wilanów higlighted in dark red.
Location of bus termini in Mokotów
- The two streets that lead to Wilanów are: ul. Powsińska-ul. Wiertnicza and al. Wilanowska (not ul. Wilanowska which is in Śródmieście), which earlier merges with ul. Sobieskiego. They intersect right in front of the Palace and merge into ul. Przyczółkowa, which leads to the Park of Culture in Powsin, the Botanical Garden and to Konstancin-Jeziorna.
- There are no trams or metro in Wilanów. The bus terminus closest to the Palace is called Wilanów. Another bus terminus Sadyba (in Mokotów) is also in close proximity.
- From Centrum, you can take the 131 bus to Sadyba, or the 519 bus to Wilanów (be warned, the 519 alternates it's final stop between Wilanów and Powsin Park Kultury.
- From Metro Wilanowska, you can take the 139, 700, and 710 buses, which passes through Wilanów and Powsin. Bus 217 goes to Miasteczko Wilanów.
- From the Old Town, you can take the E-2, 116, and 180 buses to Wilanów bus terminal.
- The Park of Culture and the Botanical Garden are far away from the Palace and can be reached from bus termini Powsin - Park Kultury and Ogród Botaniczny respectively, or if you prefer to take a walk, take the M to Kabaty (in Ursynów) and then walk through the Kabacki Forest.
Wilanów Palace on an afternoon in spring. The flags in the foreground are present due to the Polish President's death during the prior weekend.
- Wilanów Palace (Pałac w Wilanowie), ul. Stanisława Kostki-Potockiego 10/16, ☎ +48 (0/22) 842 81 01, . Wilanów Palace is tucked away in the romantic surroundings of the royal gardens. Its an ideal place to take a date or just to relax, but be forewarned that there are a few ponds and lakes along the walking paths that are infested with mosquitoes, so be wise and protect yourself or your date with bug repellent. edit
- Poster Museum (Muzeum Plakatu), ul. St. Kostki Potockiego 10/16, ☎ +48 (0/22) 842 48 48 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +48 (0/22) 842 26 06), . edit
- SD Galeria, ul. Stanisława Kostki-Potockiego 24, ☎ +48 (0/22) 842 00 66, . edit
- The Park of Culture. On the edge of the Kabacki Forest (Las Kabacki). Many sports venues including an swimming pool. Walk or cycle through the forest (although the latter is now illegal!) to Metro Kabaty.
- Botanical Garden (Ogród Botaniczny) ul. Prawdziwka 2 . Actually, next to the Park of Culture, although there is another bus terminus (see above). No pets allowed.
- Polish People's Movement History Museum (Muzeum Historii Polskiego Ruchu Ludowego), al. Wilanowska 204, . The building in which it it situated, called The Yellow Inn (Żółta Karczma) is probably a lot more interesting than the museum itself. edit
- The Royal Road ends here, but you could do it backwards.
While there are some shops in Wilanow, most of them are geared to the people who live in the district, so if you are looking for some souvenirs or shopping experiences, you are best off going elsewhere in the city.
- Castello ul. Wiertnicza 96 An Italian Restaurant that is very friendly towards foreigners, and offers good service and food. Slightly more upscale, but still a comfortable atmosphere.
A number of new places are opening up in the "Nowy Wilanow" area, including some more upscale restaurants and bars. However, the area is a massive apartment development area, and is a bit out of the way, so unless you want to see the new basilica (which is still under construction), this area will not be of much interest to you. There are a number of eateries near Wilanow palace, but these are only good as snack/lunch options.
- A hot chocolate at Cafe Wedel near Wilanow Palace.
- Rezydencja Parkowa, ul. Wiertnicza 94, ☎ +48 (0/22) 642 6204, . edit
- Zajazd Na Uboczu, ul. Jara 4a, ☎ +48 (0/22) 885 1352, . edit
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!