Ward is a settlement in southern Marlborough. Named after Sir Joseph George Ward, Premier of New Zealand in the early 20th Century.
Travelling north, Ward is 15 minutes from Seddon and another 25 minutes from Blenheim on State Highway 1. Picton is a further 20 minutes. South of Ward is Kaikoura (1 hour) and Christchurch (3 1/2 hours).
There is no public transport to get around the district. Ward is small enough to get around by foot but as the attractions are out of town you will need a bicycle or car.
- The salt works at Lake Grassmere. Located north of Ward on the coast.
- London Hill Gardens, London Hill, Beach Road, ☎ 03 575 6448 ([email protected]), . edit
- Ward Beach. A must for all rock hounds. From the car park walk north to the Chancet Rocks, limestone outcrops which shelter the rare Marlborough rock daisy. 90 minutes return. The foreshore is also home to a seal colony. Take care to not get too close (the Department of Conservation advise 20m) to the seals as they can more surprisingly quickly on land and have a nasty bite. There is a shorter walk across the Flaxbourne River to the southern pinnacles. 45 minutes return. Ward Beach is said to be a spectacular place to be in a storm, but in any weather is not a safe swimming beach.
- Cape Campbell Walkway, Thorpelee Homestead, Beach Road Loop, ☎ 03 5756 876 or 03 5756 866 ([email protected]), . $160 (2 day) or $240 (4 day). edit
- Go swimming at Marfells Beach. A safer beach then much of the eastern coast, Marfells Beach is at the southern end of Lake Grassmere accessed off Marfells Beach Road. The Beach is 8km off the state highway. There is a Department of Conservation campsite at the beach and a walk around the coast to the lighthouse at Cape Campbell. This is a free alternative to the Cape Campbell walkway but as it is along the beach care must be taken of the tide.
- Walk to the limestone Sawcut Gorge.
The Old Ward Garage Cafe sells local olive oil and Isolation Merino baby products.
- Old Ward Garage Cafe, State Highway 1, ☎ 03 575 6445. edit
- Flaxbourne Tearooms, State Highway 1, ☎ 03 575 6834. edit
The East Coast Inn has a pub and tavern attached.
- A1 Ward Motel, State Highway 1, ☎ 03 575 6892 (fax: 03 575 6891). edit
- East Coast Inn, ☎ 03 575 6414 ([email protected], fax: 03 575 6414). edit
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!