Vythiri is a hill station in Kerala in India. The hill station is at 1,300 m and has coffee, tea, cardamom, pepper and rubber plantations and mountain scenery.
The weather in Vythiri is normally pleasant, as the town is a resort town and major hill station. It can be visited all year around but the best time is from October to May.
Summers (March to May) temperatures are characterized by a minimum of 20°C & a maximum of 37°C.You can visit Vythiri during the summer too, because the summer season in Vythiri is not as hot as that in the rest of Kerala.
Winters (December to February) are when temperatures drop to a minimum of 10°C & a maximum of 30°C. Ideally this is when tourists can visit & take advantage of the fresh mountain air & lush greenery.
Monsoons (June to November) in Vythiri are for an extended period of time due to the influence of both the South West & North East Monsoons which bring in heavy rainfall, hence protective gear must be taken while visiting Vythiri during monsoon.
Vythiri is 66 km (2 hours) from Kozhikode.
Calicut International Airport
90 kms to Vythiri.
Calicut railway station
66 kms to Vythiri.
Accessible through Calicut, Mananthavady or Kalpetta.
Tourist taxis are the most convenient way to travel around attractions, especially while travelling in a group. Most airports and railway stations have tourist taxi services that would take you anywhere you would want to go.
- Suchipara falls. It is a thundering three-tiered waterfall. These falls capture nature at her best. This place is also famous for rock climbing. Best season is from June till January. edit
- Chembra peak. At 2100 meters, the spectacular Chembra Peak located towards the southern part of Wayanad is the tallest summit in the region. Climbing this peak is a challenging mountaineering endeavor and would take a full day. The surrounding areas offer exceptional photo opportunities. Camping on the peak is a unforgettable experience. edit
- Banasura Dam, (15 km northwest of Kalpetta). Considered to be the second largest earth dam in Asia, the Banasura project precincts are an ideal starting point for treks to the Banasura Peak. An interesting feature is a set of islands that were formed when the reservoir submerged the surrounding areas. Speed boating facility is available in this place. edit
- Chain Tree. Has a mysterious story behind it. The road up was built by a foreign engineer, but the route was given to him by a Local tribal youth and he was shot to death by the engineer. After the road was built many accidents happend in the hair pin curve. Later the reason behind the accidents were discovered due to the spirit of the tribal youth. It is believed that his spirit is being chained to the tree. Most of the driver pray and do offerings as they pass by the tree to make their trip accident free. Another story goes, that when the British first came to Wayanad the locals helped them and it was the Adivasi Mahouts who took them to the top the mountains. As the Portuguese were close behind them, they did not want the Mahouts to go back and get the Portuguese. Hence they killed the Mahout and soon after that, there were many accidents in the area and the Mahout's spirit was believed to be the reason. A local priest contained the spirit to a tree and hung a chain over it so that the spirit would not escape. Hence the name. edit
- Lakkidi. Hill station situated 700 m above sea level, at Thamarasseri Ghat pass. It is on the border of Wayanad district, and the view of the valley is superb. It can get a bit busy (and littered!) during peak season, though. Telephones Microwave station, Hotel Management College and couple of resorts are situate here. edit
- Padinjarathara. Famous for Bansura mini hydro project with the largest earth dam in India, and with a sanctuary and park with ever flowering trees. edit
- Pookote Lake, (3 km south of Vythiri). It is a natural fresh water lake, brimmed with ever green mountains. The weather here is salacious; the scenic beauty, hypnotising and the nature, unspoiled. Pookode lake tourist resort in Vythiri is the most sought after tourist spot of Wayanad. There is an aquarium and a green house here. Boating facilities also are available. Spices and handicraft items are also arranged for sale at Pookode. The lake has an area of 8.5 ha and the maximum water depth is 6.5 m. edit
Honey, coffee and tea
Saplings from nursery
Organic fruits and vegetables
- Sahara Inn, Vythiri. edit
- Wayanad Gate, Vythiri. edit
- Walnut cakes, Vythiri. edit
You should try the local toddy shop which serves local alcohol(Palm wine) made from coconut palms and served with spicy fish/beef sides. it's must try if you are the adventurous type.
PPS tourist home
- Wyndale Holidays, Chundale (a short drive from NH212), . Surrounded by coffee plantation and you get a full house (ancient Kerala style rennovated) with three bedrooms. edit
- Rest in nature Villas, Vythiri (Near NH212), ☎ +919645446907, . You will get a nice sleep with an amazing breakfast. Luxury villas with Excellent Service. 3500 to 5000. edit
Vythiri National Park is nearby.