Villarrica is in Chile's Lakes District.
Bus- overnights to/from Santiago leave daily. Also can fly to Temuco and drive half an hour to get to Villarrica.
Plenty of local micros to get around, but a rental car is the way to go if you want to take full advantage of the area. You can also book organized tours with the adventure tourism agencies like Politur in Villarrica to get to the summit of Volcano Villarrica, Huerquehue National Park, hot springs, rafting, riding tours, canopy and more.
- Volcano Villarrica
- hot springs
- the Mapuche center
- local artesania
- araucaria trees
- Villarrica Lake
- Hike in National Park Huerquehue, to the summit of Villarrica volcano, or at the base of Volcano Lanin, Canopy, Rafting, to name a few.
- Soak in steaming hot springs, best are Los Pozones or termas geometricas.
- Ride horses through pristine forests.
- Ride bikes to nearby towns or on pastoral roads.
- Sunbathe and swim on Lake Villarrica's beaches.
- Fishing trips with the boteros of Villarrica.
- Delicate wood carved artesania (handicraft)
- Woven wool blankets
- Hand made wooden flowers at the entrance of Pucón town (East end of lake Villarica)
- Wooden clogs
- Hosteria de la Colina - delicious food, from steak to homemade pasta to creative soups and salads, followed by Glen's homemade ice cream.
- Mesa del Mar - great fish
- Traveller's Cafe- good place to sit and enjoy a beer / Dinners - for younger ones.
- Hosteria de la Colina- Ex-pat owners Glen and Bev make a stay here impossible to forget. Superb views, excellent food, spacious terrace and full bar/game room, spotless rooms and comfy beds.
- Parque Natural Dos Rios - very beautiful and tranquil Nature Park with Bed and Breakfast and log cabins 15 minutes from Villarrica. At the banks of Tolten river with private sandy beach and natural forest. Short riding trips, riding classes, natural horsemanship, birdwatching.
- Cabanas Lidia. A small compound of cabanas run by an older couple. Cabanas for 2 to 6 people. Starting at C$30,000 per night and up. Very clean and extremely well maintained. Good kitchen for cookings. Estufa for heat. Private parking with remote controlled gate. On General Urrutia near the intersection with Camilio Henriquez. edit
- K-Zona about 3 miles outside Villarrica in direction to Pucon. Don't go there before 2 am / Travellers good bar with good music.