Known as the “forest city”, Valledupar is considered the greenest city in Colombia. As the birthplace of Vallenato music, the city is representative of a unique part of the Colombian culture.
The city has around 350,000 inhabitants and enjoys year round sunshine. The average temperature is 30 degrees Celsius and the driest months are from December to February.
From the north (Cuatro Vias), a collectivo to Valledupar costs 20,000 COP and will drop you at the location of your choice in town. A bus from Maicao costs 20,000 COP and takes 4 hours.
From Bogota, 16hr bus ride with costs ranging from 90,000 COP to 115,000 COP depending on the season.
From the bus terminal:
Valledupar has different land entrances, and it's crossed by national highway route from south to north.
The easiest way is to take a taxi which will cost around $5000. Ask the taxi driver to let you of in the “Centro”, one block away from the "Plaza Alfonso Lopez".
It is possible to get to Valledupar from Bogotá, Barranquilla and Bucaramanga by plane to the airport Alfonso López. three airlines cover this route: Avianca, Easyfly and LAN. You are advised to book and reconfirm in high season.
A taxi ride from the airport to the Centro will cost around $10000.
• In the urban area transportation services are provided by taxis and by private bus companies covering the entire city by shared routes. Lately, a new form of transportation has been developing: the informal auto (mototaxi).
Local buses depart from the square around the market.
Mcvaca Burgers, Carrera 19 # 4C-34 (Across the street from El Fortin.), ☎ 5700377. from 6 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. A really nice alcohol free joint where you can enjoy delicious burgers (American style), Tostones (Fried Plaintains), Mastodontes(A mix of sausages, cheese, French fries and BBQ ribs), Thin Crust Pizzas and more.edit
Guzto Restaurant, Av. Sierra Nevada # 25 -85 lc 13., ☎ +57 (5) 5832135. Monday to Twesday from 17:00 to 11:30 and weekend from 17:00 to 24:00. Fast Food, beef, grill and special dish using fresh ingredients cooked over hot coals.edit
• La Licorera: Carrera 9 # 9 - 36
• Plaza Mayor: Carrera 6 #15-70, Plaza Alfonso López
• La iguana: Carrera 9 #10-44
• Kankurua: Calle 16a # 7 - 61
• Café Plaza Mayor: Good location and nice bar. Three music ambiences. (Carrera 6 #15-70, Plaza Alfonso López)
• Juan Valdez: Guatapurí Plaza (Av. Hurtado Diag. 10 No. 6N-15)
• Restaurants - Valledupar hosts a massive variety of places to eat.
• Compae chipuco: Carrera 6ta con calle 16. Ask for "el almuerzo" at lunch and "menu del dia" it´s the cheap option.
• Antore Pizza: Calle 12 Nro 17-46 Tel: (5) 573-3030
• La Razón: Tipical food. Carrera 6 Nro 11-03 Tel: (5) 584-6051
• Jerusalem: Carrera 9 Nro 7c-29
Provincia Hostel, Calle 16A #5-25, centro, Valledupar, Cesar, Colombia (One block away from Plaza Alfonso Lopez), ☎ Tel (0057-5) 58-005-58 Cel : (300) 241-92-10, . *Hotel Casablanca, Carrera 8 No. 17-61, ☎ 570 7242 - 570 9296. Clean but tiny and windowless rooms. Shower,TV and fan. Located in the center and close to the plaza Alfonso Lopez.Single : 20,000 COP - Double : 25,000 COP. editSingle : 20,000 COP - Double : 25,000 COP. edit