Vagator is a village in North Goa, India.
Adjoining the famous Anjuna beach, Vagator is a little more laid back, though still pretty much steeped in the rave culture. The tourist traffic is predominantly Western backpackers, however it has also become popular with Indian tourists, who particularly come to watch the sunset from the rocks.
Vagator is located approximately a one hour drive from the Dabolim Airport. A prepaid taxi to Vagator will be about Rs. 1,250.
The nearest railway station is at Tivim. Other railway stations are at Margao and Vasco da Gama.
Scooters can be rented for Rs. 250 a day. Anywhere and everywhere you will find people trying to rent you their scooter. If you like a bike, a 350 CC Enfield would cost you Rs. 500 a day ( kick starting one of these can be an experience, learn how to do it from the owner if you want to rent one. The recoil from the kick can break your leg). This is the best way to see Goa, you can go where ever you want. And getting around is easy, locals are very helpful just pull over and ask someone.
In case of a taxi, going anyplace the taxi drivers will start quoting from Rs. 250 to 400. Have to bargain.
Vagator Beach has dramatic red cliffs looking down on the shore and two fresh water springs within a stone's throw of the sea. Vagator Beach is split into two main beaches by a seaside headland which holds the car park and lots of stalls selling trinkets, clothes, soft drinks and snacks. As you face the sea, on your right is Big Vagator Beach and on your left Ozran Beach, more commonly known as Little Vagator Beach.
Between Little Vagator and Big Vagator
Every Wednesday a flea market is held at Anjuna beach. This market is very popular among the tourists.
The Saturday night flea market in Arpora, organised by a German since early nineties, is by far the largest and most vibrant flea market in North Goa. There is also a sizeable performance area which promotes local talent.
Bargain on anything you buy at the street vendors and people on the beach (stuff on the streets, pay 50% of quoted price).
In Vagator, you can find a 24 hour restaurant/convenience store/chill out called Robert's place near Primrose. Since 2003, a flea market is organised here every Wednesday, though it is yet to make an impression like the ones in Anjuna or Arpora.
Mapusa is the nearest town for provisions and shopping. This is where the locals shop.
- Salt n Pepper Restaurant & Guest House, (a 10-minute walk from Ozran Beach), ☎ +91 832 2273596 (email@example.com), . A family-run restaurant. edit
- Scarlet's, Chapora. A well known place among travellers for fruit juices and fruit salad. edit
- Thalassa, Vagator (on top of the cliff overlooking Ozran Beach), . Wonderful, authentic Greek food. This open air restaurant has amazing views of Ozran Beach and the sunset. Thalassa is almost always full. In order to have a seaview table you have to book a table in advance. edit
- Sakana, Vagator (opposite Katzensuppe club/next to Bubble Brunch club). evenings. Japanese restaurant. edit
- Nocte, Vagator (near Living Room hotel). 7pm-11pm. North Indian Tribal food. edit
- My Place, Vagator (near Living Room hotel). daily. authentic Italian food Italian owner. cheap. edit
- Santana's, Mini Vagator. Located on mini-Vagator beach, this restaurant made quite an impression upon us by means of its impolite staff. Food quality was average, but especially after ordering, the at first seemingly friendly staff turned impolite, and stopped caring about us and even started shouting at us when we asked if he could act more friendly towards future customers. Not recommendable edit
- Great Live Music 2014 (International Music Festival), Elliot Grounds, Baga Bridge, Goa, . This is a 2 day music festival featuring best of bands from Russia and India from Rock and Jazz Genre, performing Live on 31st January and 1st February 2014. From 5pm to 10 pm . A well known festival for cross-cultural music event ! edit
- Mango Tree Bar & Restaurant, Vagator Beach Road (a 15-minute walk from Vagator Beach), ☎ +91 832 3294464/2274703. Racism is often just a construct of the mind. While I agree that the service at mango tree is rather terrible its a matter of comparison; compared to any other place in india its pretty crap but compared to Germany its brilliant. I quite like mango tree, it does have its regulars who tend to dominate but its still a pretty cool place to grab a drink any time of the year(opens much earlier then other bars). edit
Open air clubs
There are a number of places playing to a dance, house, or trance crowd during the tourist season.
- Hilltop, Vagator (a little back from Ozran Beach). Hill Top has a Rave or Trance party every Sunday evening in the tourist season. edit
- Primrose, Vagator (back towards Big Vagator beach). They play different types of trance and psychedelic music from different DJ's from around the world. edit
- Nine Bar, Vagator (between Big Vagator Beach and Ozran Beach, just above Ozran Beach). Nine Bar has a Goa trance party every night from 7PM to 10PM. Good music, cheap booze. People start here and then go to other places. edit
- Katzensuppe, Vagator (opposite living room). 11pm-5am. tech house and techno [not trance] proper club. edit
- Waters, Vagator (ozran beach cliffs). 5pm-5am. tech house and deep house [not trance] proper club on cliffs. edit
- Chronicle, Vagator (ozran beach cliffs). 5pm-5am. tech house and deep house [not trance] proper club on cliffs weekly parties. edit
- Disco Valley. Outdoor parties, but now only at Christmas and Sylvester. edit
Vagator has little by way of seaside accommodation.
In recent trend many tourists are preferring to stay in service apartments since these service apartments are spacious in compared to hotels and comes with kitchen. It gives a feel of a home away from home. These are very suitable for families and couples and also comes within budget. In nearby peaceful villages like oxel and siolim (within 5-7 km distance) one can get a really good deal in gated communities with different facilities.
- Alcove Resort Goa, Vagator (Ozran Beach), ☎ +91 832 2274491 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +91 832 2250588), . checkin: 1PM; checkout: noon. A 3-star hotel offering different types of accommodation including rooms, suites, penthouses and independent cottages. With restaurant. Rs. 1,000-4,000. edit
- Casa Vagator, House No. 594/4, Vozran, Vagator. edit
- Cochichos Resort, 325 Ozran Beach Road, Vagator, ☎ +91 832 2274777 (email@example.com, fax: +91 832 2274748), . Small resort with spacious AC rooms. With swimming pool. edit
- Jolly Jolly Lester, House No. 511/5, Vagator (between Big Vagator Beach and the main crossroads), ☎ +91 832 2273620 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Budget hotel with six double bedded rooms, one air conditioned double bedroom, one family-cum-seminar room and three twin-bedded rooms, with attached bathrooms. Their restaurant has good Western, vegetarian food, and salads. Rooms from Rs. 400. edit
- Goan Clove, Vagator Beach Road, Plot No 372/1-A, Vagator (near Mango Tree Bar & Restaurant), ☎ +91 9821042700 (email@example.com), . checkin: 11AM; checkout: 10AM. Self contained appartments. With pool. Rs. 1,500-8,000. edit
- Leoney Resort, Ozran Beach Road, Vagator, . Rooms, cottages and suites. With pool. Rs. 1,500-5,000. edit
- Omega Beach Resort, Vagator Beach Road, Plot No 372/1-A, Vagator (near Mango Tree Bar & Restaurant), ☎ +91 9820044959 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . checkin: 11AM; checkout: 10AM. Self contained appartments. With pool. Rs. 1,000-1,500. edit
- Ozran Heights Beach Resort, (on top of the cliff overlooking Ozran Beach), . Resort with 8 spacious cottages. With superb view over Ozran Beach and the sunset. Rs. 3,500-8,000. edit
- Perch Courtyard Apartments, Chapora Road (On left side of Chapora Road going from Anjuna Petrol Pump), ☎ +91 8800461053 (email@example.com, fax: +91 124 4370742), . checkin: 1 PM; checkout: 12 PM. Lush Green Holiday Apartment Complex. Rent fully furnished apartments- Studios, Top Floor Penthouses & Luxury Villas Rs. 1,200-4,000. edit
- Santonio Resorts, Small Vagator Beach Road (Near Club 9 Bar), ☎ +919769913217, . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. An Exquisite Eco-friendly Home away from your home in the heart of Vagator in North Goa. Wrapped in the lush embrace of greenery and a beautiful beach, you will dwell in perfect harmony with nature. (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org) $40 onwards. (15.597271,73.736839) edit
- Jungle Hostel, Vagator Beach Road (near Mango Tree Bar & Restaurant), ☎ 918322273006, . checkin: 2:30pm; checkout: 12:00pm. The hostel has dorms, private rooms, a huge common area and a jungle in its backyard. Breakfast and WiFi is included in the price. Rs. 450. edit
- Tisha Apartment Hotel, Anjuna - Vagator Beach Rd, Bardez, Vagator, Goa, 403509, ☎ 088064 75135, . edit
Close to Vagator and Chapora is the Petrol Station, where you want to monitor what's happening if you don't want to be scammed.