Hi! Welcome to Wikitravel.
To help you start contributing, we've created a quick contribution guide and a tips for new contributors page, full of helpful links about policies and guidelines and style as well as some important information on copyleft and basic stuff like how to edit a page.
The owners of hotels, restaurants, bars, attractions, and other businesses useful to travellers can share information that helps others in their travels. However, they should adhere strictly to our policies and guidance.
If you need help, check out Wikitravel:Help, or post a message in the travellers' pub.
IBilkka (talk) 10:46, 9 April 2017 (EDT)
- Thanks, but I doubt I'll be interested in editing here. Wintereu (talk) 18:28, 10 April 2017 (EDT)
- Sorry to hear that. Why not? IBobi (talk) 14:16, 11 April 2017 (EDT)
- IBobi (talk, contribs), as I said on your talk page, I looked a bit on Wikitravel, especially the Romanian site. I can't find any additional benefits that I wouldn't have on other similar projects. Maybe you could help me a bit by telling me why should I edit here instead of other similar sites. I have to mention I'm very used with the wiki code, having experience as a patroller and admin on other sites that use the wiki code. Wintereu (talk) 04:17, 12 April 2017 (EDT)
- Well, for one, we'd love to have you. For another, as one of the few regular editors in Romanian, you'd have fairly wide latitude (with the other admins' consideration of course) to contribute to and shape the language version. And lastly, we have something like 10x the visitors that other travel wikis have. So, if you're interested in debating policy endlessly, you may want to edit elsewhere. But if you want to help travelers and have them actually see your edits, because Wikitravel comes up first in a Google search (since we are the original site and Google penalizes copycats), then edit here. But of course you needn't choose -- you're free to do both! Just one word of advice: if you edit here first, then elsewhere, we can keep your edits; but if you make edits elsewhere and then copy them here, they will be deleted unfortunately -- since we cannot accept copied content from other sites, even if it is your own. Hope this helps! IBobi (talk) 19:39, 13 April 2017 (EDT)
- First of all, thanks for the feedback. Now, regarding the other admins' consideration, may I ask what "other" admins' consideration? Except for somewhat activity from user Vlad there is no active admin on Romanian Wikitravel. And what those admins (from the specific list) have done in the last (over) 5 years to improve the Romanian Wikitravel? Nothing. Regarding the visitors, you might be right. But at Romanian Wikitravel there is no structure (templates, basic policies, help pages etc.) to help people edit and efficiently coordonate the activity. Even the diacritics changed over time. I was surprised not to find a specific page simply because it was using old diacritics (with sedila). The MediaWiki version is outdated. Having to sign in separately on each language version is annoying. Also, you may want to take a look at the Travelers' pub and Recent changes page from the "copycat" and see the amount of involvement and discussions there. Well, I'll be honest with you and say that I have much more benefits on the other projects (whose names seems I cannot even mention). Wintereu (talk) 14:27, 17 April 2017 (EDT)
- OK, thanks for your note :) IBobi (talk) 14:31, 17 April 2017 (EDT)