Hello Rehanyarkhan! Welcome to Wikitravel. Please take a sec to look at our copyleft and policies and guidelines, but feel free to plunge forward and edit some pages. Scanning the Manual of style, especially the article templates, can give you a good idea of how we like articles formatted. If you need help, check out Wikitravel:Help, and if you need some info not on there, post a message in the travellers' pub.
Thanks for your welcome, but unfortunately my contribution has been completely deleted. Insider's choice is a necessary section and all of Wikitravel lacks this important section. It needs to be added to the templates of location guides.
- "my contribution has been completely deleted" - not so - see "move them to right places, remove repeats, will clean up next pass."
- Hello, please log in and sign your posts using four tildes (~~~~) to make communication easier. Your changes have not been reverted, they have simply been moved under the proper locations within the article. We use article templates for consistency here -- see Wikitravel:Article templates, so any contributions under non-standard headings are usually re-incorporated into the proper sections. If you think a new heading is needed feel free to discuss on Wikitravel talk:Article templates. Thanks for your valuable contributions! -- Ryan 14:09, 11 March 2006 (EST)
- I did not delete the information, but just moved it to the right places. Only repeats were deleted. Please note that Wikitravel is not meant to be just a listing of information, but a consensus of travellers' opinions on what's good and what should be enjoyed in the city. In that sense, the whole of Wikitravel is an "Insiders Choice". Having yet another insiders' section seems redundant to me. The right place to mention that Indigo is good, for example, is under the listing for indigo (but not in first person please!) If the information becomes too much, we would actually prefer to take off the crappier ones, or split the article into district pages. You'll notice that we have already started this for Bombay. We have Bombay/South Bombay which is just waiting to be filled out. So Plunge forward!.
- Also, we rather insist on having common template sections across articles, so if you think Wikitravel should have another section, the right place is to propose it on Wikitravel talk:Article templates.
- Finally, thanks for your contributions. I really don't want to bog down people in bureaucratic details about templates and stuff. So please continue to add information. --Ravikiran 21:57, 11 March 2006 (EST)
 Bombay page organization
should there be a Bombay/South Bombay?I don't think Wikitravel is well used enough for this much divergence. Another factor is that Bombay itself is not a big enough tourist destination to be split in two . As far as Insider's choice goes, I have posted my view on the Template Discussion Pages. Rehanyarkhan 10:07, 19 March 2006 (EST)
- First a question: Did you add the "Insider's choice" because you saw absolutely no restaurant listed under "Eat"?
- That is because Bombay is organized as a "Huge city" which means that it is split into districts, with the individual district containing most of the details with only the summary listed in the main page. See Singapore and Paris for other examples of the huge city template. IMHO, Singapore is the best article on Wikitravel. By contrast see Thane which I've organized as a small city, which has the restaurants listed right there on the page.
- So I thought that while for See/Do, it is possible to think of something as being in the "top 10" and for different people to actually agree on a top 10. That is why you will find that there are listings under them.
- But for Eat/Drink/Sleep, different people will have different ideas of their favourite restaurants or bars. So rather than have a list which will progressively get longer and longer (as has happened in Bangalore) I thought I'd move them all to the individual district pages and watch them grow there. (I'd have done the same to drink listings too when they'd get big enough. ) But maybe I am wrong... Perhaps there should be a small list of restaurants and bars in the main article, mostly focusing on where foreigners hang out. What do you think? — Ravikiran 22:16, 19 March 2006 (EST)
- Hi, I saw the listings under Eat, but found them lacking direction to tourists. As this is a travel guide, and the TG is likely to be Internet using tourists mainly from abroad and a few from India, I figured that direction must be given to them. Possibly your suggestion of listing where forieners hang out is a good idea. Further, I have made some enteries now in South Bombay, and edited some text on the Bombay page guding tourists to the South Bombay area. Take a look and see if that works Rehanyarkhan 12:29, 20 March 2006 (EST)
 Missing Acknowledgements
Contributed a whole lot to South Bombay yesterday and found that my contributions are acknowledged as Annonymous. A bug? Today when I was trying to sign my talk, found that it's registering my I.P. instead of username. Had to log out and log in and sign again for it to work. Some sort of Wikimedia bug. Is there a report bug section somewhere? Wikitravel should also display the version no. of Wikimedia it's currently using. Rehanyarkhan 12:59, 20 March 2006 (EST)
- Yes its an annoying bug. It logs you out for no good reason and it shows you still logged in. It is related to some caching issue. To get around the problem, I check my watchlist first thing, which will refresh the cache.
Please indicate if this image Image:Olive.JPG is release under the CC-by-SA license.
- Sapphire 18:41, 6 April 2006 (EDT)
- I took it myself a few hours back Rehanyarkhan 18:47, 6 April 2006 (EDT)
- I love the photograph. It seems to really capture an amazing atmosphere. The only issue is that you agree to release the issue the image under CC-by-SA, because of the legal mumbo-jumbo. Essentially, CC-by-SA allows wikitravel to use the image (and I hope we can) and allows any other person in the universe to use the image in any manner they wish. Please consultWikitravel:Copyleft. Is that ok with you? If so give me the word and I'll make sure we note this so we can protect the image from ever being deleted. Thanks. Sapphire 18:58, 6 April 2006 (EDT)
- P.S. Just to cover everything. Are all images you've ever created and uploaded released under cc-by-sa? Sapphire 19:02, 6 April 2006 (EDT)
- yes I agree to release it under CC-by-SA and all my other images uploaded on Wikitravel. Thanks for enlightening me on the subject. I be shooting more pictures on my travels and upload them to Wikitravel. I hope other contributors take this cue and publish images, as guides are incomplete without good pictures. Rehanyarkhan 19:25, 6 April 2006 (EDT)