Hello, Ralphzztop! Welcome to Wikitravel.
To help get you started contributing, we've created a tips for new contributors page, full of helpful links about policies and guidelines and style, as well as some important information on copyleft and basic stuff like how to edit a page. If you need help, check out Wikitravel:Help, or post a message in the travellers' pub.
Thanks for your edits, but I have some questions about some of them - for example, in this edit you added Mountain View to the Contra Costa cities list (it's on the other side of the Bay in Santa Clara County), as well as several very tiny towns such as Crockett that may not meet the Wikitravel:What is an article criteria (basically: is it a real destination and not just a dot on a map). Typically we try not to be an atlas so much as a travel guide, and a general rule of thumb is that if a place doesn't meet the "can you sleep there" test it isn't included in our guides unless someone feels like writing an article about it. If you could clarify why you feel these places should be listed I'd be grateful. Thanks! -- Ryan • (talk) • 17:11, 20 September 2010 (EDT)
- I guess that makes sense, I'll go back and verify the places, I know for fact that some of the smaller ones do not have a place to sleep in the traditional sense, but there is campgrounds there and places available for those kind of activities would that be one and the same?
- Ok I just fixed the mountain view and some other places like that, thanks for the help —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Ralphzztop (talk • contribs)
- Following up, I guess you meant WikiPedia:Mountain View, Contra Costa County, California (sorry for the confusion). With respect to the list of topics added to the Contra Costa County page, we typically don't list places that are merely census designated places or unincorporated unless someone writes a travel article about the place, including lodging information, so since none of them have existing articles, for now I'd suggest leaving those off of the Contra Costa County page unless there's a place that you think is interesting for travelers and plan on writing an article about it. The Wikitravel:What is an article guideline outlines what gets its own article, and there are some discussions about census-designated places and unincorporated villages on that article's talk page. -- Ryan • (talk) • 17:19, 20 September 2010 (EDT)
If you're interested in mapmaking, you'll want to read Wikitravel:How to create a map and maybe check out the Mapmaking Expedition. LtPowers 19:11, 12 October 2011 (EDT)
- Also don't forget Wikitravel:How to draw a map (it's confusing those titles...) --globe-trotter 19:17, 12 October 2011 (EDT)
- Well, I thought he might want to start with using data from OpenStreetMap rather than drawing a map from scratch. =) LtPowers 08:53, 13 October 2011 (EDT)