Hello! Welcome to Wikitravel.
To help get you started contributing, we've created a tips for new contributors page, full of helpful links about policies and guidelines and style as well as some important information on copyleft and basic stuff like how to edit a page.
If you need help, check out Wikitravel:Help, or post a message in the travellers' pub.
Thanks for your edits to Queensland. I know Queensland regions and cities need some more work. However, I think what you have changed may need some more thought. You can unlinked cities, like Brisbane, and Noosa, and put lots of cities under regions, many of which don't exist. Have a look at some other cities, and you will see that in general we don't make long lists, but rather put the cities under the regions.
I've reverted your changes for now, but if you want to discuss your changes, please feel free to do so. You are more than welcome to put forward your suggestions to Queensland regions, and see them through.
Thanks. -- inas 09:07, 28 October 2009 (EDT)
- Thanks for discussing..
- A few suggestions..
- Try to avoid long lists.. Generally speaking no more than 9 cities on the a region page - so that means the top 9 cities on Queensland go on the top level. The details on the rest goes under the regions.
- Try to understand where you are going with the regional hierarchy. Some parts of Queensland it is poorly defined, but in other parts it exists. If you have an idea for how the state should be divided into regions, then propose it on the talk page, and we can migrate it across once agreed.
- Understand the current cities that have articles. It probably isn't a great idea to have a red linked Noosa Heads, when there is a Noosa article. The same with Brisbane City rather than Brisbane.
- And have a look at Wikitravel:Tone. We like a lively writing style, but we try to tell it how it is, and go easy on the puffery. --inas 08:01, 29 October 2009 (EDT)
- Check out Wikitravel:Wiki markup, to see how to make links to pages. --inas 08:12, 29 October 2009 (EDT)
- There is no magic to region maps. They are hand created in inkscape generally, possibly using some Open Street Map data if it helps. Download an existing region map or a template,, --inas 08:15, 29 October 2009 (EDT)
- If you want to try to create a proper map, you can get started by editing this map in Inkscape. More information here. --Stefan (sertmann) talk 13:44, 29 October 2009 (EDT)
- Don't get too hung up on it though. Creating a region map is really quite an insignificant piece of work, compared to developing the regions and assigned the towns, cities, etc to them. --inas 21:29, 29 October 2009 (EDT)
Hi - can you please leave a note on the discussion page about what you are doing with Queensland regions. I understand that you are the Queensland tourist authority, therefore you think we should use the same regions that you have decided to use. But - firstly that need not be the case, and secondly but just dropping them into Wikitravel, may not work. You have links created to redirects, and articles that are clearly not regions. Please take a moment to explain your strategy. --inas 21:15, 24 February 2010 (EST)