Hello, Mudbrother! Welcome to Wikitravel. Please take a sec to look at our copyleft and policies and guidelines, but feel free to plunge forward and edit some pages. You may find the tips for new contributors helpful, and scanning the Manual of style, especially the article templates, can give you a good idea of how we like articles formatted. If you need help, check out Wikitravel:Help, and if you need some info not on there, post a message in the travellers' pub.
It'd be really great to get started on a Russian phrasebook. You might want to check out the Phrasebook template for starters.
Don't worry about being new to wiki: it gets easier as you go along. Thanks for jumping in! --Evan 13:29, 15 Jun 2004 (EDT)
Evan, Thanks for the warm welcome. I've gotta learn the wikimarkup language first, and start sketching it out, but I hope to have a basic outline up by the end of today. I hope I'm not being too ambitious. Mudbrother 13:45, 15 Jun 2004 (EDT)
- Don't worry about being too ambitious. Probably the best thing to remember, though, is that it's better to do something than nothing. If you get something started, someone else will come in and put in some more, and someone else will clean it up... and eventually we've got a darn good article. It's a team effort: take it a little bit at a time!
- Just for the heck of it, I got a Russian phrasebook started from the template. The pronunciation guide is inaccurate -- just template stuff -- and the phrases all translate from English into... English! B-) But just getting the basics translated would be a big step forward. --Evan 14:15, 15 Jun 2004 (EDT)
- Fantastic! Thanks for the leg up! I'll jump right in then and get some basics down. Any tips for writing cyrillic characters? Is unicode used? Can I type in cyrillic and have it post correctly? Thanks Mudbrother 14:16 15 Jun 2004 (EDT)
- I think I've answered my question about Cyrillic. I'll have to wait till I get home to do some Cyrillic typing, don't have it set up on the work computer.
- I typed in some Russian. I don't touch-type Russian and don't have a Russian keyboard, so I made a page of keyboard layouts. -phma 22:15, 15 Jun 2004 (EDT)
- Thanks for the help, PierreAbbat! I'll definitely appreciate all I can get. I'll try to work on getting some more of the phrases transliterated and translated today if I can. -- Mudbrother 10:03 16 Jun 2004 EDT